What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The 2020 COVID Coaching Carousel

I think you should remove LSU and tOSU from this list. Ryan Day isn't going anywhere neither is Coach O. I'd even say Chip Kelly is unlikely to be fired, and Clay Helton, for all the **** we give him, is likely to be playing in a NY6 game this season after going undefeated.
I meant to change the possibles to possibles/other news. Thanks for pointing it out. No I don't think Ed O, Ryan Day, Helton are likely to be fired. I think Chip Kelly is a possible. Sorry about the confusion.

Hopefully the above fix answers the question.

Yeah. I’m not seeing Orgeron, Day or Helton going anywhere. Chip Kelley is likely sticking around as well. UCLA has turned their season around. Of course, it would be the most UCLA thing imaginable to fire him now, so maybe it’s not completely outside of the realm of possibility.

I’m kind of surprised any schools are looking to make a change this year. Unless a coach is at the end of his contract and you won’t be paying to send him packing, why go through the trouble in what is clearly an outlier of a season?

I think you should remove LSU and tOSU from this list. Ryan Day isn't going anywhere neither is Coach O. I'd even say Chip Kelly is unlikely to be fired, and Clay Helton, for all the **** we give him, is likely to be playing in a NY6 game this season after going undefeated.

Tschek-You don't think Ryan Day could decide to try the NFL? This might be the year-there's not a strong crop of ACs ready to move up from what I've read.

I’m kind of surprised any schools are looking to make a change this year. Unless a coach is at the end of his contract and you won’t be paying to send him packing, why go through the trouble in what is clearly an outlier of a season?
my answer would be that it's still relevant to evaluate a coach's recruiting ability despite this year being an outlier.

Because for SEC, Big 12 and ACC, it was kind of a normal season with 9+ conference games being played.

x factor what GIF

I like Blake Anderson. I think he is a good coach, but this seems as lateral of a lateral move one could make. Jonesboro-Logan, Sun Belt- Mtn. Weenie Div., G5-G5. Maybe he just wants to start fresh somewhere else after his wife passed.

Utah State interviewed Jeff Grimes, amongst others. Surprised he is not getting more run for HC jobs and/or P5 OC jobs. Good resume.

Also, have seen in a couple different spots Malzahn is almost certainly done after the game this Saturday.

Last edited:
I like Blake Anderson. I think he is a good coach, but this seems as lateral of a lateral move one could make. Jonesboro-Logan, Sun Belt- Mtn. Weenie Div., G5-G5. Maybe he just wants to start fresh somewhere else after his wife passed.

I think this is all about his personal life and not about his career. Seems like a guy who needs a fresh start. His wife and his family were really involved with that program until she got really sick. The last year plus has been really hard on him emotionally from what I've read-and I think it showed in the play of his team this year......this was his 7th year at Arkansas State and this is going to be the only season of his tenure where they're not bowl eligible.

Frankly, I thought he'd move on after last year. He's only 51, so he's young enough to where he could jump into the Pac 12 or Big 12 if he got Utah State rolling and was interested in that. That AD has a track record of hiring young offensive coaches-so I gotta think Miami OC Rhett Lashlee would be the leader in the clubhouse there. Wouldn't shock me if they tried for Graham Harrell-USC's moving on from Clay Helton at some point, aren't they?

Last edited:
I think this is all about his personal life and not about his career. Seems like a guy who needs a fresh start. His wife and his family were really involved with that program until she got really sick. The last year plus has been really hard on him emotionally from what I've read-and I think it showed in the play of his team this year......this was his 7th year at Arkansas State and this is going to be the only season of his tenure where they're not bowl eligible.

Frankly, I thought he'd move on after last year. He's only 51, so he's young enough to where he could jump into the Pac 12 or Big 12 if he got Utah State rolling and was interested in that. That AD has a track record of hiring young offensive coaches-so I gotta think Miami OC Rhett Lashlee would be the leader in the clubhouse there. Wouldn't shock me if they tried for Graham Harrell-USC's moving on from Clay Helton at some point, aren't they?
USC is likely to end up 6-0, Pac 12 Champs and playing in a NY6 game. Why would they consider firing Helton?

Didn't he take an XFL job? I could see him taking on a new challenge if a place that can win a championship (FSU, Michigan, etc.) and pay a fortune came calling.
I could see Stoops go BLUE: Midwest roots and all. Low key, nice guy.....polar opposite of Ass Hat Harbaugh.

USC is likely to end up 6-0, Pac 12 Champs and playing in a NY6 game. Why would they consider firing Helton?
Because the FB Powers-that-be at U$C think all those 4 & 5 star recruits should be curb-stomping their opponents weekly and Helton needed a miracle to beat the likes of AZ, among others?

Plus, the U$C LA Glitz crowd doesn't favor folks who look like a POTATO?

Heltons not going anywhere this year.

I was surprised to head Feldman talk about how many within USC aren’t a fan of graham harrel being hired as the OC though. He immediately upgraded that offense but I do agree that recruiting the talent they have they shouldn’t have to resort to an air raid system where you don’t use those four and five star lineman in the run game nearly as much.

Never said anything about Helton being out this year. I don't see that. Having said that, I think they're going to be in that back to losing 2-3 games a year next year. That's not going to be good enough at Southern Cal. Their fans think a lot like Texas fans do-Contending nationally is their standard. Speaking of Texas, pandemic years are gonna be a thing-I'd call that guys like Tom Herman getting an extra year because schools don't want the optics of spending tens of millions on ****-canning a football coach during a global pandemic or flat don't have the money to do it now (Kevin Sumlin could be an example of this).

Last edited:
Nobody benefited more from COVID scheduling than Helton. USC had Bama and Notre Dame in non-conference this year.

This. I'd add the fact they got favorable bounces throughout the season-Arizona was supposed to open with Utah and had that game cancelled because of Utah's COVID outbreak. They had to open with USC. Utah lost their first two games because of their COVID outbreak and opened with Southern Cal. They missed the other undefeated team in the South because of their COVID outbreak. Washington State lost games against Stanford and Washington prior to having to play USC last weekend.

Odds are Harbaugh stays at Michigan
Plus, didn’t Stoops grow up an Ohio State Fan?

He gets paid millions of dollars every year to do nothing for OU. He’s mostly only coached for programs who DGAF about athlete academics. Why would he go to a meh job like UMich that has actual academic standards?

Back