What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Allbuffs Coaching Candidate list

How about Mike Heimerdinger of the Tennessee Titans. Offensive coordinator. Has family in Colorado and former ties to the community.

How about Mike Heimerdinger of the Tennessee Titans. Offensive coordinator. Has family in Colorado and former ties to the community.

According to wikipedia "He is most notoriously famous in football locker rooms for being able to swallow a foot long hot dog whole." WTF?

I like McElwain. If Butch Davis gets canned at North Carolina, I'd look at him. He can coach and recruit. Watch his staff closely though.

If CU is dumb enough to hire Butch Davis with all the issues swirling around UNC right now, I'm done.

How about a big $$$ offer for Kyle Shannahan? I read that he may be a candidate for the Dallas job after this season, but what the hell -- let's shoot for the moon.

So you are suggesting we hire the ghost of Yul Brynner?

60082-3857.gif

Don't understand the fascination with Leach. Tied for 1 division title and won 0 conference titles in 10 yrs. 5-19 vs. ranked teams. One of two coaches to ever lose a Big XII home game to D2D. Is this Allbuffs way of thanking him for Hawkins getting extended? :lol:

I'm not sure if he would be remotely interested in the job. Probably not, but there are a lot of folks out there who bring him up.

Maybe he should be dropped off the list? What do you guys think?

"I haven't really given it much thought because it surprised me that they fired Brewster but, you know, I mean it's a good program," Leach said on his Sirius XM radio show. "It's in the Big Ten. And, you know, right now I'm in a position where I'm willing to listen to anybody."
Mike Leach commenting on the Minnesota job.

What's not to like about Leach. Look at his record while he was at Tech. I believe his worst season was 7 wins. Imagine the QB's and WR's he would bring in here. He has some baggage but at least he's a proven guy. Hire any assistant and it's a crap shoot. I don't think we are in a position to take a flier on some guy that's never been a head coach. We have a team of coaches that had no coaching experience in the rolls they are in and we're paying for it. I want Leach.

What's not to like about Leach. Look at his record while he was at Tech. I believe his worst season was 7 wins. Imagine the QB's and WR's he would bring in here. He has some baggage but at least he's a proven guy. Hire any assistant and it's a crap shoot. I don't think we are in a position to take a flier on some guy that's never been a head coach. We have a team of coaches that had no coaching experience in the rolls they are in and we're paying for it. I want Leach.

5-19 vs ranked teams. Won more than 5 conf games twice in 10 yrs. Had TTU been playing CU's schedules they'd have won 6-7 games a year instead of their usual 7-8. He's not all bad - could probably keep us out of the conference basement - more than I can say for Hawkins. If 6-7 wins and a low-level bowl every year is what Bohn is after, Leach is the guy. He's just not someone who would ever have the Buffs competing for PAC championships. I think CU can do way better. jmo

I really want to see some BCS level D-coordinators in for the job.

my favorites:

Dave Doeren - DC Wisconsin
Kirby Smart - DC Alabama

If the GB thing hadnt happened, maybe they would take a look a Leach. Combine that with the James fiasco, I dont think they would touch him with a ten foot pole. Even then, I dont know how he could fit in Boulder from some of what you guys have said about how it is there.

5-19 vs ranked teams. Won more than 5 conf games twice in 10 yrs. Had TTU been playing CU's schedules they'd have won 6-7 games a year instead of their usual 7-8. He's not all bad - could probably keep us out of the conference basement - more than I can say for Hawkins. If 6-7 wins and a low-level bowl every year is what Bohn is after, Leach is the guy. He's just not someone who would ever have the Buffs competing for PAC championships. I think CU can do way better. jmo

I see your point, but imagine the talent that he could pull into a program like ours. I give Mike a ton of credit for being able to recruit to a ****hole like Lubbock. I think he'd do a much better job talking kids into spending the next 4-5 years of their lives in Boulder as opposed to Lubbock.

I really want to see some BCS level D-coordinators in for the job.

my favorites:

Dave Doeren - DC Wisconsin
Kirby Smart - DC Alabama

Those are some solid coaches.

Doeren is going to need to leave Wisconsin to get a HC job because Bieliema isn't going anywhere.

Kirby would be great. There's a good reason Saban doubled his salary to $750k as his DC for this year. I think he's a lock for the Georgia HC job at some point (and that he's waiting for it) and he's very much a SEC guy, but he can flat coach. Any program that gives him a shot will be happy they did, imo.

I'm not sure if he would be remotely interested in the job. Probably not, but there are a lot of folks out there who bring him up.

Maybe he should be dropped off the list? What do you guys think?

I wouldn't drop him. He's a lightening rod. If you drop him, we'll just get a ton of posts saying that he should be on the list. :lol:

I see your point, but imagine the talent that he could pull into a program like ours. I give Mike a ton of credit for being able to recruit to a ****hole like Lubbock. I think he'd do a much better job talking kids into spending the next 4-5 years of their lives in Boulder as opposed to Lubbock.

Perhaps. But the locale of Lubbock was somewhat offset by the fact that TT will accept just about anyone. We may be taking more chances on players now, but JUCOs are still an issue. Not so much at TT

Also, he really struggled to recruit athletes on defense at times and I am not sure that is solved with a change in scenery.

Leach would have to have a solid defensive staff to bring in the recruits. Dont' know if they would be retained but Cabral and Ambrose would be a nice start for defense recruiting. The rest could go as far as I'm concerned.

I'm tired of averaging 19 points a game the last five years. Not that I want to get into WAC football but I want to start seeing some offense. As far as Leach not being a good fit in Boulder. Whoever comes here better win games or they won't be a good fit. Winning brings acceptance.

Agree with Nik that it might be too much fun arguing about Leach to pull him off the list. :lol:

Sure he can bring the QB's & WR's - and yes Lubbock is a major ****hole - but don't think he'd recruit any better on D or OL than Hawkins did his first 3-4 yrs. DEs. DTs, and safeties are the places we need 4-5* guys if CU wants a legit contender. Leach would win some games, for sure. But to me it seems like he gets too wrapped up in offensive stats, and forgets to win football games. In big games his teams shoot themselves in the foot 3 times for every one time they gets it right. Maybe I'm getting old/grouchy, but after 5 yrs of Squawkball, I'd like to see some smart football @ Folsom again.

Too much to ask for ONE current DC on the leader board?

Too much to ask for ONE current DC on the leader board?

Brent Venables would have been that guy last year. Seems strange that I don't see him mentioned these days. Last I checked, Oklahoma is having a decent season.

Brent Venables would have been that guy last year. Seems strange that I don't see him mentioned these days. Last I checked, Oklahoma is having a decent season.

Not sure BV is quite ready. When the boomers are prepping for a tough game, Stoopsy seems to get really involved with D that week. BV gets enamored with the linebackers -- this years' team has had solid play from the db's, and that's prolly because of the new position coach.

Bottom line, BV is prolly a real reach as an HC candidate.

Another excellent candidate not on the leaderboard. Kirby Smart is a guy I think we absolutely could have gotten if we'd started talking to him about November last year.

Anybody know where we can find buyout $$$ for all these guys?

Leach has been out of coaching for a few months.... I think he forgot how.... :smile2:

Back