What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Allbuffs Coaching Candidate list

:wow: How is Mullen not exactly what you are talking about? Could we not attribute most of his success to Timothy?

I think you're confused where Colorado is. We can't go steal the Dolphins head coach. We can't even steal a head coach in waiting from Texas. Hell I doubt we could steal any of the non BCS top guys like Patterson, Peterson, or Willingham. We have to go the OC/DC route or get a guy that is without employment for whatever reason like: Mike Leach (No), Mac (Maybe), Bellotti (Yes) etc.

Mullen has turned MSU around in 2 years. MSU sucks as a rule unless they cheat.

Mustain was there one year and never played much. He is at SC right now. They had McFadden, Jones, and Hillis and they ran the wildcat a lot.

Malzahn was also there only one year.. the one Mustain was there for.. the one where Mustain started 8 games.. if you don't think starting 8 games is "playing much", then I don't know what to say. We've been over this a few times already, so I'm not really going to continue this. I'm not sure if you're just trying to be difficult or you're simply unreasonable when talking about an Auburn coach.

Mullen has turned MSU around in 2 years. MSU sucks as a rule unless they cheat.

Okay I think I'm starting to understand what you're saying. You think we should try to get Dan Mullen because he wouldn't be learning to be a head coach on the job at CU? Now if we could only get around that whole pesky buy out thing that would probably cost millions of dollars, not to mention talk the guy into coming north and ditching his rebuilding project for a different rebuilding project. I can't say I'm expecting that one to happen.

Malzahn was also there only one year.. the one Mustain was there for.. the one where Mustain started 8 games.. if you don't think starting 8 games is "playing much", then I don't know what to say. We've been over this a few times already, so I'm not really going to continue this. I'm not sure if you're just trying to be difficult or you're simply unreasonable when talking about an Auburn coach.

I was wrong on the didn't play much but he only threw for 894 yards the whole year. Let me rephrase-Nutt did not allow your favorite assistant to run his offense. Both CGM and Mustain were frustrated and left after one year.

2006 Arky stats 4th in rushing with 228 yards and 110th in passing with 149 yards {29th overall}. It was not CGMs offense-there was a open struggle all year between the two and Nutt won.

copy and paste from http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/15984/malzahn-making-the-most-of-his-shot

Nutt, coming off a 4-7 season, felt pressured into hiring Malzahn, who was putting up ridiculous numbers with his spread offense at nearby Springdale High School and had several big-time prospects on that team, including quarterback Mitch Mustain.

The Hogs lost 50-14 at home to Southern California in Malzahn’s first game as offensive coordinator.

Needless to say, it was more Nutt’s offense the rest of that season than it was Malzahn’s.

I still think hiring OC/DC for HC is risky. You might get lucky and get a Stoops but there are many more Orgerons from that move.

Wait so it wasn't Malzahn's offense because they ran the ball a lot? As opposed to what Auburn has been doing this year..? I don't find it all that difficult to believe that he had a true freshman at QB and therefore decided to run the ball a ton. Either way, disregard that season if you really want to, there's no denying the guy is an excellent offensive coordinator.

And again, hiring a OC/DC is the only move we can make.

I'm liking the SEC arguments. They have great coaches and assistants imo, but they still piss and moan about how they suck. If they get 3 TD's, they bitch about how they didn't get 4. If the offense gets four hundred yards, they bitch about not being able to get 500.

SEC fans are something, boy.

134319.jpg

Did you go see what he was talking about so the rest of us can see it? :smile2:

sorry rabbit... it's in there until further notice... however its only 15 bucks and you get the forum plus a bunch of other cool crap such as the arcade avatars and get to see why i neg repped you for asking too many questions...:lol: jk

sorry rabbit... it's in there until further notice... however its only 15 bucks and you get the forum plus a bunch of other cool crap such as the arcade avatars and get to see why i neg repped you for asking too many questions...:lol: jk
You really don't think people will just PM this stuff around? Just sayin'

Personally, I'm on the Gus Malzahn train! But I wouldn't mind having Miles... but would we be able to afford him?

wtf? Sounds like I have no incentive now.

Ah you're right, I saw the San Diego so I just thought it was UCSD. I honestly didn't even know there was just a University of San Diego.

I'm not sure Harbaugh is the best coach in the country, but he is certainly pretty damn good. His lack of experience wasn't a dig at him, it's just funny that Bama Charlie places such an emphasis on it, and yet look at that list. There's pretty much no certain formula that we can look at and get a winning coach. Some of the coaches on there put in the work and finally got a HC gig. Some, like Harbaugh, put in a little work, got a break, and have done amazing at the schools they're at. All I know is, the NFL route is not the ticket.

Just? Just? USD is like the Vatican, but nicer. It's unbelievable. And it populated by some of the hottest talent anywhere. I don't know how any straight dude can concentrate on school on that campus.

But, ummmm, back to topic. Hire any coach named "Gus". I've said it before, but it's pretty much a fail-proof formula for success.

Not based on any iside inof, just observation:

1. There is no level of incompetence or humiliation D II can cause that will get him outof here beofre the end of the year. MB has decided to lay down just like D II's team does. Fine, on to new business.

2. Who is the next guy?

3. Malzahn is likely, IMO, to hang around SEC country. He is a sure fire HC cnadidate over the next few years and he is a deep south kind of guy. I doubt he'll come here.

3. Mullen? Interesting choice but he's only been at MSU for a couple of years, I doubt he wants to go Petrino. I do like him as a choice.

4. Heater? Don't know much about him.

5. Miles? Really a weird choice. He can win and I think his work at OSU is more indicative than LSU where he got Saban's finished product and more talent than just about anybody. But he is a goofy game day decision guy. He recruited and won with a lot of questionable guys at OSU. He wouldn't be available until late december at best. I am ambivalent.

So that exhausts the SEC, where supposedly MB is looking.

6. Mac. The most likely, low risk choice. But age is a concern. Personally, he's my favorite right now.

7. Leach, No thanks. He has won but his OOC was a joke, his defenses pourous and I wonder how well that playstation offense would work on a mid-November, high wind/snowing game at Folsom.

8. Bottom line, ANY of these guys would be an improvement over the knucklehead roaming the sidelines now...

I do want Malzahn or Mullen as the next CU coach but I don't think they'd be that successful at CU because they won't be getting the same athletes that they were getting while coaching in the SEC.

Mike Leach on the other hand, has more of a stronger western connection and won't put up with primma donnas. Look, I love Bill McCartney but I'm starting to back away from that idea unless he hires a real offensive coordinator. Leach still has a good reputation inside the state of Texas which is critical and I'm sure he will be well liked by the Californians. I know we have beaten him before but to be honest, I believe we really did have his number more than any other Big 12 team out there.

He has talked about coaches moving back to the wishbone and I don't think he is dumb enough not to make changes to his offensive philosophy because he could easily add wr sweeps and stuff like that for the Buffs just like Oregon has at this point.

And Leach coached in west Texas...I believe they have similar issues with the wind here.

I do want Malzahn or Mullen as the next CU coach but I don't think they'd be that successful at CU because they won't be getting the same athletes that they were getting while coaching in the SEC.

Mike Leach on the other hand, has more of a stronger western connection and won't put up with primma donnas. Look, I love Bill McCartney but I'm starting to back away from that idea unless he hires a real offensive coordinator. Leach still has a good reputation inside the state of Texas which is critical and I'm sure he will be well liked by the Californians. I know we have beaten him before but to be honest, I believe we really did have his number more than any other Big 12 team out there.

He has talked about coaches moving back to the wishbone and I don't think he is dumb enough not to make changes to his offensive philosophy because he could easily add wr sweeps and stuff like that for the Buffs just like Oregon has at this point.

And Leach coached in west Texas...I believe they have similar issues with the wind here.
Personally, I don't think CU is or should be going after TX players, that will be a tough sell since they will not play in TX when CU is in the Pac 10. TX recruiting ties just aren't that big of a deal with the new conference. That makes guys like Leach less attractive IMO.

Personally, I don't think CU is or should be going after TX players, that will be a tough sell since they will not play in TX when CU is in the Pac 10. TX recruiting ties just aren't that big of a deal with the new conference. That makes guys like Leach less attractive IMO.

I think you could go a step further than just "less attractive". But he still might beat Pelini in a beauty contest...

leach.jpg

What's with the fascination with Mike Leach?

2000 Texas Tech 7–6 3–5 4th (South) L galleryfurniture.com

2001 Texas Tech 7–5 4–4 T–3rd (South) L Alamo

2002 Texas Tech 9–5 5–3 T–2nd (South) W Tangerine

2003 Texas Tech 8–5 4–4 4th (South) W Houston

2004 Texas Tech 8–4 5–3 T–3rd (South) W Holiday 17 18 2005 Texas Tech 9–3 6–2 T–2nd (South) L Cotton 19 20 2006 Texas Tech 8–5 4–4 4th (South) W Insight

2007 Texas Tech 9–4 4–4 T–3rd (South) W Gator 23 22 2008 Texas Tech 11–2 7–1 T–1st (South) L Cotton 12 12 2009 Texas Tech 8–4 5–3 3rd (South) Invited to Alamo* 23 21

Other than one good year, he's the master of beating a bunch of nothing. Look at all of those 4-4s and 5-3s in conference. I mean it's not bad, playing in the Big 12 South and usually being the 3rd best team in that division isn't terrible, but I'm just not overly impressed. If he played with CUs OOC schedule, he'd probably have a lot of 6 and 7 win seasons, maybe the occasional trip to 8 wins or even *gasp* 9 wins.

Other than one good year, he's the master of beating a bunch of nothing. Look at all of those 4-4s and 5-3s in conference. I mean it's not bad, playing in the Big 12 South and usually being the 3rd best team in that division isn't terrible, but I'm just not overly impressed. If he played with CUs OOC schedule, he'd probably have a lot of 6 and 7 win seasons, maybe the occasional trip to 8 wins or even *gasp* 9 wins.
I agree. He has a unique O which is fun to watch, but he built his W/L on the backs of 4 patsy wins a year.

Where did LaMichael James and Jacquizz Rodgers come from?

Answer: TEXAS!!!

Those seven and eight win seasons are seasons that CU fans will have to be happy with for the time being.

Funny you left out the 2008 and 2009 seasons where TT hit it big.

Back