What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Allbuffs Coaching Candidate list

belotti has bashed the facilities on espn college football live NUMEROUS times... and the city itself RE: the lack of support of the univ. in reference to noise ordnances for practice among other things

Really? hm ok. It certaintly didn't come off like that during the game. Why he would hate on the city and university in the past and then act like he didn't really know much during the game seems pretty sketchy. I do remember someone talking about the noise ordinances thing on one of those shows, was it Bellotti?

Really? hm ok. It certaintly didn't come off like that during the game. Why he would hate on the city and university in the past and then act like he didn't really know much during the game seems pretty sketchy. I do remember someone talking about the noise ordinances thing on one of those shows, was it Bellotti?

yepp

Well then we can cross him off the list I suppose.

We should brace for the fact that our facilities are subpar and really do need upgrading. I hope the next coach and Bohn can get something going. That's not to say that it should be a crutch the next coach can lean on all the time, but it is a legitimate need.

If the next coach is of any caliber I think they will demand facilities upgrades. It will be similar to Bzdelik's demand of a practice facility.

This is why I like the Mac idea. By most accounts, he will demand serious upgrades and he will entice boosters to open their wallets.

If the next coach is of any caliber I think they will demand facilities upgrades. It will be similar to Bzdelik's demand of a practice facility.
Yeah this. Whatever HC we get in, I want him to demand facilities upgrades. That way, if he is successful and hired away from us, or a failure and gets fired, we won't have to overcome the "poor facilities" stigma when hiring the next HC

I do remember someone talking about the noise ordinances thing on one of those shows, was it Bellotti?

Jesse Palmer brought up the noise ordinance issue on The Experts - not Bellotti. But Bellotti did talk about the lack of support from the town & alums. That whole episode pissed me off - they were just bashing us for the sake of bashing us, I felt. It was early in the season too - like right before the UGA game or something - not during the current implosion.

Jesse Palmer brought up the noise ordinance issue on The Experts - not Bellotti. But Bellotti did talk about the lack of support from the town & alums. That whole episode pissed me off - they were just bashing us for the sake of bashing us, I felt. It was early in the season too - like right before the UGA game or something - not during the current implosion.

Ok thank you, I thought I was remembering it was someone else with the noise ordinance crap.

I don't remember Belloti talking about that either.

No shot at Bellotti

By John Henderson

LAWRENCE, Kan. — I ran into former Oregon coach Mike Bellotti in the Oklahoma City airport last week and chatted with him about his future. He definitely wants to get back into coaching “but only if it’s the right fit,” he told me.

I asked him about the opening that will soon occur at Colorado and he said he didn’t know much about the program other than the debacle he saw as an ESPN analyst during the Colorado-Oklahoma game. “I’ve never even been to Boulder,” he said.

Here’s all you need to know about Colorado’s shot at landing Bellotti: He’d be coming from arguably the best facilities in the country, where the athletic department floats in Nike money, to what are the worst facilities in the Big 12 and a university heavily in debt.

I wouldn’t be surprised, however, if he talks to Arizona State if Dennis Erickson doesn’t survive.

A good source inside the athletic department said Colorado is monitoring the Les Miles situation at LSU. Miles, an ex-Colorado assistant, has said he loved Boulder more than any place he’d ever been and is tiring of the SEC pressure cooker. However, Colorado’s shot at him diminished when he knocked off Alabama Saturday.
Suddenly, Miles is king again.

Also, the source said Auburn offensive guru Guz Malzahn is no longer on Colorado’s target list. The source didn’t say if Malzahn rejected any inquiries or Colorado lost interest but the hottest recruiter in the country apparently won’t be in Boulder next year.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/sports/2010/11/07/no-shot-at-bellotti/13866/

I have a hard time trusting anything Henderson says. He probably wants Bellotti to turn down CU just so he can feel like UO is vastly superior. Why would the ASU job be much better than the CU job?

Either way, I've cooled on Bellotti. He did some nice things at Oregon, but nothing groundbreaking. Chip Kelly seems to have taken them to the next level minus Bellotti causing me to conjure up images of CU under Hawk and Boise under Peterson.

I have come to the terms with the fact we are going to hire some mid-major bargain-bin coach and pray for the best. CU isn't willing to do what it takes to bring in a top flight coach here.

Hiring mid-major coaches and unproven assistants is a gamble. It works out, I would guess, less than half the time.

To what extent does the hiring process involve getting some actual knowledge as to who is really doing what behind the scenes for a given football program? Seems to me that the process involves pointing at a school and saying "Their defense/offense is good, so their defensive/offensive coordinator must be a star", or, even worse, "they win a lot, so their HC needs to be our next HC" (see Dan Hawkins). Is there anyone getting their hands dirty and investigating who is responsible for what successes, or is it just a total crapshoot?

Hiring Mac sounds a hell of a lot better to me than taking a stab in the dark at some no-name up-and-comer just because his small-conference school has a good record in the last two years. It is painfully obvious that whoever was responsible for the Hawkins hire did little-to-no analysis on what was actually going on at Boise -- if they did, they would have seen the truth that is now clear-as-day: that Petersen was the man there, not Dan. We all know that CU is either unable to or unwilling to spend the big money it takes to bring in a top-notch proven coordinator from a big-time program in a big-time conference. If we aren't going to do that, then taking a chance at nostalgia with Mac or a similar candidate makes infinitely more sense than scouring the SDSUs of the world (seriously?) for the next blind gamble.

I have a hard time trusting anything Henderson says. He probably wants Bellotti to turn down CU just so he can feel like UO is vastly superior. Why would the ASU job be much better than the CU job?
I could be wrong, but to me the ASU job seems a lot better than the CU job. I believe they have more of a commitment to athletics there, than we do here. I'm sure someone more familiar with the sun-devils program can correct me on that.

Either way, I've cooled on Bellotti. He did some nice things at Oregon, but nothing groundbreaking. Chip Kelly seems to have taken them to the next level minus Bellotti causing me to conjure up images of CU under Hawk and Boise under Peterson.
:nod:

Top Candidates:

1. Bill McCartney(Retired)
  2. Eric Bieniemy(Vikings AHC/RB Coach)
  3. images
    Les Miles(LSU HC)
  4. Jim McElwain(Alabama OC)
  5. Gus Malzahn (Auburn OC)

I dropped Leach, and Bellotti off the top list. Malzahn dropped a few spots down along with Les Miles. I still feel I have Miles way too high on my list, but it's not like anyone really knows whats going on in the Dal Ward.

I could be wrong, but to me the ASU job seems a lot better than the CU job. I believe they have more of a commitment to athletics there, than we do here. I'm sure someone more familiar with the sun-devils program can correct me on that.

:nod:

Verde Dickey Center

Formerly opened as Devil Dome and nicknamed,"The Bubble", $8.4 million practice facility broke ground on May 15, 2008[2] to provide a climate controlled space for the Sun Devil football team, Sun Devil Marching Band, ASU Intramurals and for other athletic department events. Before its full completion and turn over from the contractor to the university on the night of August 28, 2008 a powerful storm brought it down.[3] The Bubble was re-inflated early October and was fully repaired for use in July 2009.

Well they have a bubble, which broke, but uh yeah they have one. Is their bubble better than ours? :lol:

I suppose my idea that the CU job is better is that I would never choose to live in Tempe over Boulder. It's so god damn hot there it's ridiculous, but I suppose some people prefer that?

Is Dennis Erickson going to get the ax this year anyway? They're 4-5, 2 wins over Portland State and Northern Arizona this year. 3 really close losses, though. 20-19 @ Wisconsin, 31-28 @ Oregon State, 34-33 @ USC. If they fire him after this season, I think that will tell us how much more they care about their football team. 4 wins + 3 close losses = CU giving the coach another year to allow popping and cinching up.

Why is there no Gary Kubiak on this thread? His son's at CSU and he's gonna get the axe from the Texans once he misses the playoffs again this year.

CU needs to get Bieniemy/Mac/Embree, or they need to find a guy that can recruit Socal but can also manage our way back into Texas. Kubiak would be a great fit on that front.

I also think we need to be looking at Patterson from TCU. Sure, he's in a stable job but it's not a BCS job.

Bottom line, Bohn's job is riding on this so he better be opening up a national search and leaving no stone un-turned. If that means going back to Boise to interview Peterson, than so be it.

---------- Post added at 06:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 PM ----------

BTW, i don't ever want to hear anybody really throw CU's facilities under the bus as the worst... when I worked as a scout in the AFL, i've been to Cal a bunch of times I would imagine without a shadow of a doubt, they have the worst facilities. I know they're getting some upgrades but that stadium is old as dirt. I still have splinters in my ass from the CU game there in Sept.

Probably because Kubiak already shunned us once and he also would not be available until January. As far as Patterson, TCU may not be in a BCS conference, but they have a pretty clear path to the BCS. They are about to make it there for the second straight season. I would love to hear why Patterson would want to leave that job.

Wade Phillips!!

Errr, nevermind...kinda the NFL version of D2Danny. D2Wade??? Actually, I apologize to Wade, he at least was a fine D coordinator.

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 PM ----------

Double ixnay on Wade!! The Cowboys are pulling a Hawkesque meltdown tonite!!!

Brady Hoke.
I second the Brady Hoke vote...San Diego State is 7-2 (only losses were close ones on the road at Mizzou and at BYU where they got jobbed on a replay call) and was left for dead before he arrived on the scene in 2009. Career record is only around .500 but the guy can turn around programs in trouble...SDSU probably has a legit shot at 2nd place in the MWC. Just sayin'

Last edited:
Brady Hoke.

A little risky at this point. He has a losing overall record as a head coach, including six years at Ball State and a year and a half at SDSU. His Ball State teams became good in the end of his tenure there on the back of QB Nate Davis. Midwestern guy...I dunno. Risky.

I second the Brady Hoke vote...San Diego State is 7-2 (only losses were close ones on the road at Mizzou and at BYU where they got jobbed on a replay call) and was left for dead before he arrived on the scene in 2009. Career record is only around .500 but the guy can turn around programs in trouble...SDSU probably has a legit shot at 2nd place in the MWC. Just sayin'

You had me at, "close on the road at Mizzou". Is that even possible?

It doesn't concern you at all?

he had a winning record in conference his last 3 years at Ball State. The guy turned around something by his fourth/fifth year at Ball State (something Hawk isn't doing)

Has a winning record in his second year at SDSU.

that's two jobs where he went into bad situations and has turned it around. That says he knows how to turn things around at the Div 1 level.

syko will love the guy. He's a former DL coach (oregon state and michigan) before he became a head coach. probably will recruit a lot of DL.

You had me at, "close on the road at Mizzou". Is that even possible?

They had a 24-20 lead with :51 seconds left and lost on missed clip...The guy is the real deal from what I've seen and heard. He should be a solid outside candidate - guy recruits "football players" like Petersen does at Boise State.

They had a 24-20 lead with :51 seconds left and lost on missed clip...The guy is the real deal from what I've seen and heard. He should be a solid outside candidate - guy recruits "football players" like Petersen does at Boise State.

Keep talking but slowly. I thought every trip to Columbia ended in a shutout. Who knew?

he had a winning record in conference his last 3 years at Ball State. The guy turned around something by his fourth/fifth year at Ball State (something Hawk isn't doing)

Has a winning record in his second year at SDSU.

that's two jobs where he went into bad situations and has turned it around. That says he knows how to turn things around at the Div 1 level.

syko will love the guy. He's a former DL coach (oregon state and michigan) before he became a head coach. probably will recruit a lot of DL.

It looks like he can recruit coordinators too...Rocky Long, former New Mexico head coach is the DC and Al Borges, former Auburn OC is the OC (I think one of the many OCs let go during the Tuberville years).

It looks like he can recruit coordinators too...Rocky Long, former New Mexico head coach is the DC and Al Borges, former Auburn OC is the OC (I think one of the many OCs let go during the Tuberville years).

exactly how does SDSU have a better coaching staff than CU?

Back