1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The case for Mac.

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Buffarino, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Buffarino

Buffarino Math - how does it work? Club Member

I know most don't need to be convinced, but I was just looking up his coaching tree. It's impressive, to say the least. Nine of this former assistants have gone on to be D-I head coaches.

Les Miles
    Ellen the Weasel
    Bob Simmons
    Lou Tepper
    Karl Dorrell
    Gary Barnett
    Gerry DiNardo
    Steve Logan
    Ron Vanderlinden

Mac would bring in a high quality staff, that much is guaranteed. Even if it's just for a few years to transition to someone else, I look at what he could do and it makes me giddy. Throw in EB as HC in waiting and he would be a great hire, IMO. I don't know if EB would go for that arrangement, but it doesn't hurt to try.

2. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

Mac/Scooter in '11!

3. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

Just think of this...EB, Dorrell, and Embree on the offensive side plus people brought up UT's WRs coach who is the recruiting coordinator. Logan could be on that staff as well.

Somone brought up a Minny coach who recruits Texas and the CO front range for them. That group would have a combination of exprience in the Pac-12, Big 12, and Big Ten. Maybe we could get some SEC coaching exprience in there as well.

The defensive staff needs people who have Pac-10 and MWC exprience especially against Utah.

4. Bienemy4life

Bienemy4life Member

The case for Mac?

1. He's Mac
    2. Bohn says we can't afford a $4 Million coach: Mac's better than most of them. So, actually we can.

5. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

We can get a $4 million dollar coach for the price of a un tested coach. If he gets hired I'll be estatic, along with Malzon or Miles.

6. Buffarino

Logan ain't coming to CU to be a position coach. He's absolutely set doing what he does now (KOA radio show, Bronco game announcer, Mullen HS coach, 1st Bank spokesman). No way he could keep that and be a full-time assistant at CU.

7. InTheBuff

InTheBuff Club Member Club Member

I'm on board but have a feeling Bohn (Benson) will do anything & everything possible to go in another direction.

8. BinaryBuff

BinaryBuff mmmm...beer Club Member

If true, then Logan needs to publicly come out and say he has no interest in coaching at CU

9. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

New sig

10. ThndringHerd

ThndringHerd Well-Known Member

Mac has the best resume. And the best coaching tree to pull from. The only one even close is Miles. I'm reading Bohn's "$4 million" comment as code for having already put out feelers to Miles, and that's how much he was asking.

11. BeachBronco

BeachBronco Active Member

Mac for AD, look how well Dr. Tom has done for Nubraska

I want Mac to help find a coach, not to be the coach, I just have a real hard time in believing that he can just jump back into BCS coaching after 15 years....

12. KingPants

KingPants Club Member Club Member

make the background and text black and gold, but that is nice.

13. Buffarino

I agree, which is why I think his coaching tree is so important. One of his biggest strengths was hiring the right people to help him run the program.

14. BeachBronco

BeachBronco Active Member

Which is why I want him to be involved in the hiring process, I want him to be the AD...

15. Alfred91

Alfred91 Club Member Club Member

Here's why I would worry about Mac: He's been away for 15 years. His success came in the Big 8 in the 80s and 90s, which is dramatically different than the Pac-12 in 2011. He's 70. Today's recruits don't know or care about what Mac did in 1990.

Here's why I wouldn't worry as much about Mac as someone else: He's a proven winner. He still seems to be able to motivate and lead. He LOVES CU. He knows what he's getting into - no more whining about how things are better somewhere else. He will attract top-level assistants. If he feels like he's not getting the job done, he's not going to try to stick around to grab an extra paycheck or two. Finally, Mac's not going anywhere. While other coachs might see CU as a stepping-stone job, Mac will stay until his job is done.

My view is that Mac is a safe hire. There will still be risk, but chances are CU will be 'okay' at worst under Mac, with the chance of doing dramatically better than just 'okay'. There is little to no chance, imo, that a Mac hire blows up in Bohn's face, a la Hawkins. At the same time, there may well be other coaches out there that can turn out to be a much better short-and long-term hire than Mac, but they will probably all entail more risk. Risk of failing, risk of leaving early, all of that is greater with any other coach than Mac.

16. KingPants

KingPants Club Member Club Member

This is the problem. Since he is interested in the job he will not be part of the search committee. That is to bad, because he should be the biggest voice in the committee.

17. max4buffs

max4buffs Well-Known Member

My only response- Nobody who he will recruit knows who he is or what he did. Did anyone know who Mac was in '85, '86, '87, '88? He knows how to inspire, that is something that will never change.

18. SuperiorBuff

SuperiorBuff Well-Known Member

The head coach is usually not the primary recruiter. The coordinators and position coaches are the primary contact for most recruits and the HC comes in at the end to close the deal. I have no problem that believing Mac would excel at this.

19. fatbuff

fatbuff Well-Known Member

I thought we were talking about Steve Logan?

20. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

Yep, and in reality Mac never really did a whole lot of coaching.

21. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

Is that a good thing? Most of the big coaches now run one side of the ball. The Tressells, Stoops, Kelly's, Saban's, Meyer.. All of them have their hands on one side of the ball.

22. SINKRATZ

SINKRATZ Club Member Club Member

Can we please stop with the cries for Mac to be the AD? I love Mac, but he's totally unqualified. There's more to being a good AD than being a beloved football icon, and a great motivator. Does he know how to manage a multi-million dollar operating budget, can he negotiate sponsorship and tv deals? Can he run a compliance department? What does he know about soccer or skiing? How about facilities maintenance or girls volleyball? Stick to what you're good at - Jeff Gordon shouldn't be the CEO of Ford because he's extremely successful driving a car. Mac for coach, ok - Mac for AD, no f**king way.

23. Costa Rica Buff

Costa Rica Buff Active Member

Has anyone actually thought about how bad the sitution would get if it ever became necessary to fire Mac? It would be 100X more difficult for the AD to pull the trigger on Mac than any other person in the country and could lead to an incredibly devisive situation that has the potential to rip apart any relationship the university has with both many of its older alumni and/or former players.

24. SuperiorBuff

SuperiorBuff Well-Known Member

I don't think that should be any consideration in the hire.

25. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

Honestly, I think Mac would step down if he couldn't get it turned around in 4 years.

26. UrbanaBuff

UrbanaBuff Member

Brewster? He was HC at UMinn and assistant at UTexas. Lights out recruiter. Not sure of his coordinator abilities.

27. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

You're just permanently and horrifically scarred (like the rest of us) from what we've just gone through. Relax, we've already hit rock bottom, it can't get any worse (at least not for a few more decades).

28. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

Yeah. They will hire Logan. Think of the cross marketing potential; Free checking and Free Season Tickets to all new First Bank Customers.

29. Costa Rica Buff

Costa Rica Buff Active Member

It should absolutely be considered. It would be gross negligence not to. The last thing you want to do is KNOWINGLY put yourself in a completely plausible situation that you can't get out of without causing serious damage.

30. BuffFan

BuffFan Member

Mac is a better choice as the AD. He could rally the boosters and generate a lot more income for the program than Bohn can. (more then he could as a HC) As an AD he would have the time necessary to fight Benson & CO and make the changes needed to get a successful program going again.