What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Theory on MB...

The longer Bohn drags this on the more he will be pilloried. & rightfully so since he's had a good year to prep for this hire.

He is going to be crushed by fans like you anyway, so it doesn't matter. A lot of opinions on this board with no sense of reality. Bohn has been good for the university and he is more important to the progress of the University than opinionated fans who don't know what it truly takes to run an athletic program at the DI level.

He is going to be crushed by fans like you anyway, so it doesn't matter. A lot of opinions on this board with no sense of reality. Bohn has been good for the university and he is more important to the progress of the University than opinionated fans who don't know what it truly takes to run an athletic program at the DI level.

Wow, another opinionated fan! Thanks

Yes that has occurred to me, and if he isn't given authority for hiring and firing he's a bigger joke than I could have ever imagined. For instance, the day the director of sales is no longer the final say in hiring and firing his sales force, he's just another salesman, or the supervisor of sales. If MB is that micromanaged, they should just call the Athletic Supervisor because he isn't directing much. I suspect that is indeed the case.

Its pretty hard to discount that thats the situation when you consider the fallout at the end of the Barnett Tharp era. That mess, like it or not, still casts a long shadow on these kinds of decisions.

Mac did wonderful things when he was here. Truly miraculous lightning in a bottle stuff. He also had players that were down right criminals in the program that were straight out of Compton. No one is going to let him, or anyone else for that matter, go there again. The thirst for winning was much much more dire in the early 80s than it is right now. Media scrutiny back then was not what it is today. Lastly, Mac was at times an enigmatic and inflammatory figure on campus to some people. I found his overtly religious stance a bit obnoxious particularly when he was doing it from the pulpit emblazoned with the CU logo. But I also found that he was a tremendous leader and father figure to many of his players. While I sound critical he represented a diverse voice that the diversity crowd was not interested in hearing on a liberal college campus. I felt then as I do know that that voice did have a place on campus.

Its pretty hard to discount that thats the situation when you consider the fallout at the end of the Barnett Tharp era. That mess, like it or not, still casts a long shadow on these kinds of decisions.

Mac did wonderful things when he was here. Truly miraculous lightning in a bottle stuff. He also had players that were down right criminals in the program that were straight out of Compton. No one is going to let him, or anyone else for that matter, go there again. The thirst for winning was much much more dire in the early 80s than it is right now. Media scrutiny back then was not what it is today. Lastly, Mac was at times an enigmatic and inflammatory figure on campus to some people. I found his overtly religious stance a bit obnoxious particularly when he was doing it from the pulpit emblazoned with the CU logo. But I also found that he was a tremendous leader and father figure to many of his players. While I sound critical he represented a diverse voice that the diversity crowd was not interested in hearing on a liberal college campus. I felt then as I do know that that voice did have a place on campus.

Somebody stole MB's login.

IS this an AD plant?

Bohn is a clown. He hasn't gotten one hire right yet at CU and now people want us to believe that we should be blessed that this guy is our AD. I mean come on, that's complete utter nonsense.

Give me the time Bohn hired a winning football coach or a winning basketball coach and then try to tell me this guy is irreplaceable.

Last edited:

Sounds like your bias is entering into the picture also. Not meant as a slam, we all coome to the table with our different viewpoints. If MB is subject ot that much oversight, he must like his paycheck an awful lot. Most people look at him as the face of the AD, and right now, he's got egg on it for the W-L record of not only FB, but other sports. In the end, you may be rigth, maybe FB has gotten so big that, even though the HC is supposedly hired by the AD, it is more of a University wide decision. If that is true at CU, being a winner again is unlikely. The University wide approach simply isn't committed to winning as a priority. They have other pet issues they would satisfy at the expense of winning.

Sounds like your bias is entering into the picture also. Not meant as a slam, we all coome to the table with our different viewpoints. If MB is subject ot that much oversight, he must like his paycheck an awful lot. Most people look at him as the face of the AD, and right now, he's got egg on it for the W-L record of not only FB, but other sports. In the end, you may be rigth, maybe FB has gotten so big that, even though the HC is supposedly hired by the AD, it is more of a University wide decision. If that is true at CU, being a winner again is unlikely. The University wide approach simply isn't committed to winning as a priority. They have other pet issues they would satisfy at the expense of winning.

Mike Bohn is not on an island. His direct report is Phil DiStefano whose direct report is Bruce Benson. Whose direct reports are The Board of Regents. Whose direct reports are none other than the voters in the State of Colorado.

At some point in all of this Mike Bohn has to seek the approval or receive the guidance of the men above him. Far too long a leash was given to the man that previously sat at his desk. The sting of his inaction can still be felt on Elizabeth Hoffmans cheek along with a lot of other people on down the line all the way to you and me. And I can assure you those above you and me felt it more strongly.

Im certainly an outsider but the politics of government agency bureaucrats is not unfamiliar to me. Risk taking and loose cannons are political powder kegs. In the wake of the previous disaster I highly doubt MB is on his own on this hire. He was not on his own on Hawkins hire and he wasn't even allowed to fire him when he had plenty of reason. What in god's name would make you think he has sole discretion over this hire?

Mike Bohn is not on an island. His direct report is Phil DiStefano whose direct report is Bruce Benson. Whose direct reports are The Board of Regents. Whose direct reports are none other than the voters in the State of Colorado.

At some point in all of this Mike Bohn has to seek the approval or receive the guidance of the men above him. Far too long a leash was given to the man that previously sat at his desk. The sting of his inaction can still be felt on Elizabeth Hoffmans cheek along with a lot of other people on down the line all the way to you and me. And I can assure you those above you and me felt it more strongly.

Im certainly an outsider but the politics of government agency bureaucrats is not unfamiliar to me. Risk taking and loose cannons are political powder kegs. In the wake of the previous disaster I highly doubt MB is on his own on this hire. He was not on his own on Hawkins hire and he wasn't even allowed to fire him when he had plenty of reason. What in god's name would make you think he has sole discretion over this hire?

Fine, I concede, you know more than me....

Fine, I concede, you know more than me....

I'm not trying to diss you. I guess Im just very pragmatic. Color me afraid to get excited yet equally afraid to pour on the doubt.

Your final point, sadly enough, is probably the most likely end game result.

If that is true at CU, being a winner again is unlikely. The University wide approach simply isn't committed to winning as a priority. They have other pet issues they would satisfy at the expense of winning.

I personally do not hold the belief that administration places winning at the top of the priority list. It's probably not even in the top 3 but not far from there or we would not have fired DH. I've held this belief in a lack of confidence in them for a long time. We are far too removed from Gordon Gee's legacy and leadership to believe a change is at hand. Sadly, this is likely a time where CU probably needs athletics the most; we are in a dire fiscal environment. Athletics is some of the best advertising a school can get. I know watching the Buffs planted the seeds that lured me here all the way from Florida. A certain percentage of alums reconnect themselves yearly through athletics and that often leads to giving as well. It's stupid.

That being said nothing is official and until it is we are all really just killing brain cells. Then the time for real criticism will be at hand.

Opinionated fans, so there's some other kind of fan? I thought this was; a. america. b. a message board for ahem, posting opinions, facts...

I don't know what it takes to run an AD. But I know when the teams run by the AD suck. Clearly you know how to run an AD. Lets run everything past you in the future. Thanks for the help.

Back