What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Two words... JIM TRESSEL

That´s a big concern and a concern I acknowledge, especially after we crapped all over ourselves with this NFL coaching staff.
Yeah, and even if we take our nightmare out of the equation, I've just seen too many total failures when NFL guys go to the college ranks. Granted it's all a crap shoot, but I'd put my money on a guy that's been around the college game and knows how to coach 18-22 year old young men as opposed to knowing how to coach professional athletes aged 23-40.

Yeah, and even if we take our nightmare out of the equation, I've just seen too many total failures when NFL guys go to the college ranks. Granted it's all a crap shoot, but I'd put my money on a guy that's been around the college game and knows how to coach 18-22 year old young men as opposed to knowing how to coach professional athletes aged 23-40.

One thing that works for McCoy here is that he´s still relatively young at 40. But, yes, I share your concerns and would rather have proven, albeit damaged (see Tressel, Petrino) college coach also.

My biggest issue with McCoy is that to my knowledge he's never recruited a player. You have to be much more than a brilliant game day tactician to succeed as a college football coach. That helps (obviously, look at where we are now), but it's not the solution.

The guy in the office next to me is a Razorback insider. Rumors are building that Strong is at the top of Arky's borad. They love them some former Louisville coaches.

My guess is Arky goes with Strong or Briles. Not sure whether Briles would leave Texas or not. If he keeps winning at Baylor then he'll also be in the conversation for UT if Brown goes soon.

My biggest issue with McCoy is that to my knowledge he's never recruited a player. You have to be much more than a brilliant game day tactician to succeed as a college football coach. That helps (obviously, look at where we are now), but it's not the solution.

Peyton Manning :)

I also want nothing to do with an NFL coach. I don't see hiring Petrino or Tressel as realistic so I'm sticking with my desire for a young coordinator from a big time program. Someone posted that we haven't tried that approach since Mac. Slick (1 year?), Barney (1 game?), Hawk, and now Embree have all lacked coordinator experience. Obviously with Barney it didn't matter as much, but that is a solid ingredient.

I also want nothing to do with an NFL coach. I don't see hiring Petrino or Tressel as realistic so I'm sticking with my desire for a young coordinator from a big time program. Someone posted that we haven't tried that approach since Mac. Slick (1 year?), Barney (1 game?), Hawk, and now Embree have all lacked coordinator experience. Obviously with Barney it didn't matter as much, but that is a solid ingredient.

good post. Do you want to go with a good defensive coordinator or a good offensive coordinator?

My guess is Arky goes with Strong or Briles. Not sure whether Briles would leave Texas or not. If he keeps winning at Baylor then he'll also be in the conversation for UT if Brown goes soon.
Briles is a very good coach and his ties with Texas high school coaches is VERY deep. Arky might be close enough to make that move work. I'd love to see someone like him at CU but I think it's too far away from his Texas connections.

good post. Do you want to go with a good defensive coordinator or a good offensive coordinator?

I could personally go either way. Selfishly, I kind of want to bring in a good OC because our offense has been just so bad for so long. Defensive coaches seem to make good HCs, but I'm not sure evidence would back that up.

I noticed on that coaches on the hot seat, there's a lot of guys that were really good DCs that are not doing well as HCs, so maybe bring in an OC and get one of those guys for the DC. Randy Shannon is a LB coach at TCU, hopefully he'd be down for a step up as DC here. Not sure he'd be a good fit and his years as DC he had some sick talent, but there's others out there. DeWayne Walker is failing hard as the HC at NMSU, I'd love to get that guy as DC. He's an LA recruiting machine too. Ron English presided over some good defenses at Michigan.

The same could be argued for defensive coaches I'm sure. Plenty of good OCs out there we could go after.

Strong, an Arkansas native, is the prime candidate for that position. Great defensive background and major turnaround at Louisville. Strong's stock is rising much more quickly than Briles.

Alabama's OC and DC - either/or. They've been recruiting and teaching and placing talent into the best levels of the NFL. That pedigree alone should draw the best recruits - "Wanna see if you're good enough? Come with us because we've put dozens of them there..."

I wouldn't consider lesser program's coordinators - if you're going that route, go after the top squad's - that's Alabama, or LSU's if I had to settle for less.

And I'd never degrade any coach at NM State. Talk about a rough place to recruit into. I like Las Cruces, but you should be a hermit first. And the school has to be one of the truest examples of Have-Not's in college sports.

Texas taking a rival's coach? Deeming a rival's coach worthy? Ha ha... that concept is how "Delusional" is defined.

I would much rather Petrino than Tressel, but don't see either as realistic. A top OC/DC seems more likely, but they, like anybody, are hit and miss. I look at Mike Stoops at Arizona - he inherited a terrible situation from Mackovic, very slowly improved the team, got to a few bowl games and then was canned mid-season. Granted they were better when he left than when he was hired, I would rather not wait as long as it took there to even get to a bowl game. I think Petrino could orchestrate a much faster turnaround than many coordinators.

I would be thriled with a veteran ex-NFL coach. Some names off the top of my head-Jack Del Rio, Herm Edwards, Brian Billick, Steve Mariucci.

I would be thriled with a veteran ex-NFL coach. Some names off the top of my head-Jack Del Rio, Herm Edwards, Brian Billick, Steve Mariucci.

Like everything else, it's a total toss up or worse. Less than 50% chance of success. Having watched Virginia go down the Al Groh road and seeing where it ended up, I'm not personally wild about the idea in general. A couple of those names are admittedly somewhat intriguing, but it sure as **** isn't Herm Edwards. **** that guy.

Brian Billick? :lol:

t1_billick_ap.jpg

what about stanford's oc? they were talking him up during the sc game. like that offense. anyone know anything about the guy?

Problem is that there is no guaranteed method of finding a successful head coach.

Hiring coaches from non-AQ schools was the rage for a while but many of them failed.

Hiring coordinators from top 25 schools the same.

NFL coaches, both assistants and ex-HCs has had a fairly high failure rate.

Even hiring successful coaches from other FBS schools has failed like RichRod at Michigan and Ty Willingham at ND

It isn't about finding the magic source of coaches, it is about finding the guy with the right combination of leadership, organization, inspiration, and all the other characteristics that make a coach a winner.

Alabama's OC and DC - either/or. They've been recruiting and teaching and placing talent into the best levels of the NFL. That pedigree alone should draw the best recruits - "Wanna see if you're good enough? Come with us because we've put dozens of them there..."

I wouldn't consider lesser program's coordinators - if you're going that route, go after the top squad's - that's Alabama, or LSU's if I had to settle for less.

And I'd never degrade any coach at NM State. Talk about a rough place to recruit into. I like Las Cruces, but you should be a hermit first. And the school has to be one of the truest examples of Have-Not's in college sports.

Texas taking a rival's coach? Deeming a rival's coach worthy? Ha ha... that concept is how "Delusional" is defined.

So we can hire 1 of 4 coordinators? They just have to be currently working at Alabama or LSU?

I wasn't really degrading Walker, but he's 9-29 as a HC there. I don't doubt that it's a ****** situation and I kind of want the guy to be our DC, so I was piling praise upon him. We'd be lucky to get the guy.

Back