What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

UCLA Game Week -- Official Thread (8:30 on ESPN2)

Seems clear to me mac is more concerned with keeping assignments on the back end than sacrificing space for pressure. Not sure I agree with that approach but he wants other players to beat him rather than his team beat itself. Some more creativity would go a long ways IMO.

Seems clear to me mac is more concerned with keeping assignments on the back end than sacrificing space for pressure. Not sure I agree with that approach but he wants other players to beat him rather than his team beat itself. Some more creativity would go a long ways IMO.
He knows he doesn't have to CBs to go straight man, and Laguda is a liability in coverage. They definitely play more zone this year because of it.

People need to get used to montez running frequently. This isn't the NFL... QBs are a huge part of the college running game.
Montez running is very effective, just would rather it be less often and a position RB (besides Phil) would do it effectively. Montez is rapidly progressing towards becoming a superb game time passing QB and Noyer is not proven. Sefo did a lot of running as well, his running was clearly in the game plan, and we lost him several times to injuries.

I guess if some think that’s an appropriate role, I’d hope there’s no whining about “bad luck” if he gets injured doing it.

I was complaining about lack of pressure last night, until I realized that Rosen picked it up and made us pay every time we blitzed. MM and crew might have foreseen that earlier this week.

Montez running is very effective, just would rather it be less often and a position RB (besides Phil) would do it effectively. Montez is rapidly progressing towards becoming a superb game time passing QB and Noyer is not proven. Sefo did a lot of running as well, his running was clearly in the game plan, and we lost him several times to injuries.

I guess if some think that’s an appropriate role, I’d hope there’s no whining about “bad luck” if he gets injured doing it.

I like the Montez running on option to where he has a numbers advantage. I don't like him running between the tackles like he is a power back. I never liked Sefo running that way, and I don't know why we call those kind of plays.

I like the QB power runs even less for Montez, because he is 6'5" and runs upright and exposed.

Laguda came on the blitz multiple times before going out with injury
I didn't read this thread. Was there discussion on why there wasn't a targeting on the Laguda injury? Defenseless player, out of the play, blindsided essentially after the play. Led with the helmet to the head.

I like the Montez running on option to where he has a numbers advantage. I don't like him running between the tackles like he is a power back. I never liked Sefo running that way, and I don't know why we call those kind of plays.

I like the QB power runs even less for Montez, because he is 6'5" and runs upright and exposed.

Multiple times they got him to the edge. This resulted in him at the end of runs either being able to get out of bounds, go down in space, or if hit be taking on DBs instead of LBs and DL.

A few runs up the gut are needed just to keep the defense respecting that option but I'd prefer most of his runs to be outside.

I also like the runs to the outside because Montez has been showing a real ability to make throws as he runs. With a good balance outside of runs and passes eventually the defenders are going to be forced into the kind of mistakes that allow for big plays to happen.

RE: Outcoaching ourselves. We ran that QB designed run after the WR motions across the field twice that game. Both times with huge Montez runs. The commentators went out of their way to praise our staff for "saving" that play for important moments in the game. The second time we did it was a 3rd and 1 from like midfield in the second half.

It made me think about our 62-36 game, where we ran the same like 4 plays over and over again. 98G. Run it until they stop it. I am more partial to this idea. If you see something on film, practice it all week, and it works...why not keep doing it until the defense has to adjust? Our in game adjustment should be to run that at least once a series while our co-OC designs some play that looks just like that, but goes to the left or something to take advantage of the defense over-reacting to this successful play....

That's my example of how I thought we "out-coached ourselves" although the TV guys thought it was great play calling.

Thoughts?

What sucks about the UCLA game was that it was a game we SHOULD have won, against an inferior opponent. One sign of a good re-build is that you win games you should win.
We did that last year and more.

Honest question about video above: why did Brian Howell push MM to question himself on whether he would pull that fake FG again in the same scenario?
Just seems like Brian is starting to become one of MM's least faves. I was surprised no one asked Brian that question during weekly chat on buff zone.

Honest question about video above: why did Brian Howell push MM to question himself on whether he would pull that fake FG again in the same scenario?
Just seems like Brian is starting to become one of MM's least faves. I was surprised no one asked Brian that question during weekly chat on buff zone.

That's a question which needs to be asked after a close loss.

I think he got off light. He should have been grilled on that call. MM seems to have a problem with people daring to ask him the tough questions. You can read his face clear as day.

HCMM is starting to struggle with the pressure. Could be a wild second half of the season.

I think he got off light. He should have been grilled on that call. MM seems to have a problem with people daring to ask him the tough questions. You can read his face clear as day.
He was asked about it by Howell and he gave an answer. Is the media supposed to yell and scream and call him names? I don't get it. Also, have you seen press conferences with any other head coaches? None of them want to be up there, especially after a tough loss, let alone answering questions that second guess your in-game decisions. Not a new thing.

He was asked about it by Howell and he gave an answer. Is the media supposed to yell and scream and call him names? I don't get it. Also, have you seen press conferences with any other head coaches? None of them want to be up there, especially after a tough loss, let alone answering questions that second guess your in-game decisions. Not a new thing.

Yes, I expect them to waterboard him until he takes blame for all things. No I have never seen another press conference other than this one.

I will look to you to inform me on how and what questions dear MM should respond accordingly.

Right, so why the **** can't MM just say that maybe he won't make that same call again next time? I don't think it harms his reputation to admit that in a small, measured way. But doing like he did, it makes him look worse. I still like MM, but don't understand his logic in those media situations.

Yes, I expect them to waterboard him until he takes blame for all things. No I have never seen another press conference other than this one.

I will look to you to inform me on how and what questions dear MM should respond accordingly.
Figured as much, and you can PM me next time you'd like to be informed.

Figured as much, and you can PM me next time you'd like to be informed.
You want him to Prostate Massage you?

road-trip-o.gif

Honestly, the fake fg is probably the most frustrated I've been with MM and a decision he has directly made in game. As I look back, he actually does a pretty good job with in game decisions, IMO.

Back