What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

UCLA Game Week -- Official Thread (8:30 on ESPN2)

Does anyone actually have a good view of that call? I didn't see it live, but no replay and wasn't able to record. Not saying it was the wrong call, I just genuinely didn't see it. It was a game changing call though.
Yep. I rewound it. Deleted the game so can’t show it but it was AWFUL. He got his block perfectly as Montez came toward him, held it for a second and let go. Never held. Awful

I thought Lindgren was really good tonight.

Penalties on 3 big runs (1 for a TD). 4 serious drops (2 on TD passes). OL played like **** in the 1st half. Despite that, moved the ball.

We lost this one because of horrible execution.
I thought he lacked consistency in the play calling, especially in the first half. Lindsay ended with 19 carries, but 13 of them came in the second half. They way he was gashing them, he needed about 25-28 total carries, IMO. Other than that, I don't have much to complain about with respect to the playcalling. Player execution was poor.

Haven't read this thread yet so sorry if already discussed, was anyone else sort of shocked there were no targeting calls on Montez last night? I didn't see anything malicious but after seeing it called on malumba against UNC and discussing the rule on here I thought it was pretty obvious.

I'm amused at the amount of sky is falling nonsense I'm seeing on here tonight. This one hurts, but let's not kid ourselves-there were a fair amount of us who thought we might drop our first two games in Pac 12 play. Even me. Still haven't dropped a game we probably circled as one we needed to get to where we wanted to be-but we've gotta beat Arizona and Oregon State, and we should. That'll get us to 5-2 going into Wazzu in three weeks, and one win away from bowl eligibility with five to play. We're fine, people. Relax.

And here I thought the sights were slightly higher than "bowl eligibility."

I thought he lacked consistency in the play calling, especially in the first half. Lindsay ended with 19 carries, but 13 of them came in the second half. They way he was gashing them, he needed about 25-28 total carries, IMO. Other than that, I don't have much to complain about with respect to the playcalling. Player execution was poor.

This. Montez may have been throwing bullets, but when your QB hits you in the hands you need to catch the damn ball.

Last night we finally saw in Montez what made us so excited about him last year. The guy can flat out play and is gonna be real ****ing good.

This. Montez may have been throwing bullets, but when your QB hits you in the hands you need to catch the damn ball.

Last night we finally saw in Montez what made us so excited about him last year. The guy can flat out play and is gonna be real ****ing good.
He accounted for 351 total yards (243 passing and 108 rushing) and 1 TD. We also know that he had two dropped TD passes and a rushing TD called back on a holding call. His stats could/should have been 400 yards of offense, and 4 total TDs. Montez played extremely well.

He accounted for 351 total yards (243 passing and 108 rushing) and 1 TD. We also know that he had two dropped TD passes and a rushing TD called back on a holding call. His stats could/should have been 400 yards of offense, and 4 total TDs. Montez played extremely well.
This. They showed the side by side stats and Montez was just as effective as Rosen as a whole.

At some point CU needs another RB to step up. Lindsay was absolutely gassed at points in the game and we needed him as he was completely gashing the UCLA defense at times. Need Kyle Evans to get healthy sooner rather than later.

At some point CU needs another RB to step up. Lindsay was absolutely gassed at points in the game and we needed him as he was completely gashing the UCLA defense at times. Need Kyle Evans to get healthy sooner rather than later.

There were a few times last night where both Lindsay and Montez seemed gassed. Felt bad.

Bish looks great at FB though.

This. They showed the side by side stats and Montez was just as effective as Rosen as a whole.

The thing about Rosen though was he was playing against better coverage. Most of those passes up th middle were amazingly accurate. It was Rosen and our own mistakes that beat us last night. Put any other college PP QB in for him last night and we would have won.

The thing about Rosen though was he was playing against better coverage. Most of those passes up th middle were amazingly accurate. It was Rosen that beat us last night. Put any other college PP QB in for him last night and we would have won.
Definitely agree but I also think we sort of beat ourselves. Some of his passes though, my god.

The thing about Rosen though was he was playing against better coverage. Most of those passes up th middle were amazingly accurate. It was Rosen and our own mistakes that beat us last night. Put any other college PP QB in for him last night and we would have won.
Yep. Rosen showed exactly why he's probably the number one overall pick. He has great pocket awareness, a very accurate arm, and can turn up the velocity when needed. He made some throws into some windows last night that are NFL level throws. CU hasn't seen that kind of QB this year and maybe only once or twice last year.

Yes Montez needs to NOT be functioning as the 2nd RB. Or soon he won’t be functioning at all.
I like using him in the run game and he had some huge gains on the read-options, but agreed that I think the staff has now gone to him as the back-up running back.

People need to get used to montez running frequently. This isn't the NFL... QBs are a huge part of the college running game.

Yeah, but if we're doing it so much he's slow to get up to the point where we're slow getting set for the next play....

I had us at 8-4. Bowl eligibility (six wins) should be a layup with the non-conference schedule.

Fair. I had 7-5, but I still think 8-4 is doable-I've got us winning the next two, Cal, and ASU......but it wouldn't shock me if we got one of the other three-WSU will lose a game they shouldn't lose, Utah is always a tight one, and who knows what kind of shape SC will be in when they get here next month.

Getting pressure on Rosen was clearly a key to success against UCLA.

How many blitzes, twists, stunts, corner rushes, innovative personnel groupings, adjustments did you see last night?

Getting pressure on Rosen was clearly a key to success against UCLA.

How many blitzes, twists, stunts, corner rushes, innovative personnel groupings, adjustments did you see last night?

The talent is just not very good in the front seven. There is only so much Eliot can do with this group.

@TSchekler made a post last night (about 10:42pm) that still hits what I am thinking now on the head.

We outsmarted ourselves, bad coaching. We had some stuff that was working and working well. Lindsay was busting off runs of 10 yards a carry on the tight edge. They had no answer for Lil' Mac out of the slot in mid range passes. When Montez rolled to create time they couldn't stay with our WRs.

Despite this every time we started building momentum, building a drive we insisted on running some of the stuff that we don't do well and that they had stopped. We start going wide on slow developing stuff and lose yards, we go to a back other than Phil again on something we aren't blocking well. Results, third and long, we run a play that gains yardage but short of the line to gain and another dead drive.

UCLA beat us but they were not a better team than us. This was a battle of two very flawed teams and we failed to win a game we should have. Between the dropped passes and the bad play calling and the failure to handle the line of scrimmage on defense letting a poor running team control the game we deserved to lose a game that should have been a win.

When the season is over this one will haunt us.

The talent is just not very good in the front seven. There is only so much Eliot can do with this group.

Agree. Only Lewis has speed to play in base D. But...

Where were Callier, Sporaco and Coleman last night?

Corner blitz?

Hell, walk Laguda down in box and let him rush?

Zone blitz?

Anything... anything...

Agree. Only Lewis has speed to play in base D. But...

Where were Callier, Sporaco and Coleman last night?

Corner blitz?

Hell, walk Laguda down in box and let him rush?

Zone blitz?

Anything... anything...

I assume the plan was "bend not break." Given it kept the team in the game, do not think it was a flawed approach.

Back