What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Very encouraging. Hope we build on it

But I get it. The world is black and white isn't it? A win is a win and a loss is a loss. Doesn't matter that our freshman quarterback played a better game than we've seen from a Buffs quarterback in a long time. Doesn't matter that we were facing one of the premier defensive teams in the nation, in their stadium, and managed to put up 23 points.

I'm getting pretty sick of people who can't see anything positive in anything. This team sucks. We know it. I'm not trying to say the world is all rainbows and sunshine and unicorns, but you can't seriously tell me that after watching that game you couldn't find one thing encouraging.

This this this this this. All you crybabies can kick rocks

But I get it. The world is black and white isn't it? A win is a win and a loss is a loss. Doesn't matter that our freshman quarterback played a better game than we've seen from a Buffs quarterback in a long time. Doesn't matter that we were facing one of the premier defensive teams in the nation, in their stadium, and managed to put up 23 points.

I'm getting pretty sick of people who can't see anything positive in anything. This team sucks. We know it. I'm not trying to say the world is all rainbows and sunshine and unicorns, but you can't seriously tell me that after watching that game you couldn't find one thing encouraging.

Terrific post. Amen, and rep to you.

Did anyone else think when Sefo got knocked down and the whole Oline rushed to his side "could this finally turn the team around"? I mean, it probably won't change the win loss column this year, but I finally see team unity. One Sefo, One team

Sefo is quickly turning into the leader of the offense along with PRich. Now we need leaders on the defense.

So proud of my Buffs for only losing by 23 points to a decent team! I am going to go get ****ed in the ass by a unicorn while giving a blow job to a rainbow. Yay!

Totally agree that if you can't see the positive in this game as a Buff fan after the last several years of absolute crap football where we have not been competitive in the first quarter of games against quality opponents (or sometimes even bad opponents), you are blind deaf and dumb.

I am very optimistic.

A ranked team at home kept their starters in the whole game. Nuff said.

Now, if we can do the same vs UW, we can say a corner has been turned.

There are things to take from the game, sure. The biggest should be, execute in the ****ing red zone. Not having Adkins hurt, think he would've had a nice game. Sefo is gonna be fine, he's a tough sumbitch, he'll figure things out with time. Play with this effort going forward, I think we take a game or two.

Quick takes:

- Liked the fire from the OL
- Loved seeing Powell finally bring the Pow
- Very encouraged by Sefo - it's clearly his team now
- Defense is breaking down because there's too little disruption - we lose the line of scrimmage. Once these 19 yr olds on our DL grow up some more, that should change and it will fix most of the problems. Not sure there's much hope of it this year, so we'll need to score a ton of points and hope to force some TOs.
- Keep playing with this level of effort and we'll start winning

:yeahthat:

Seems like the Buffs have better options for kick/punt returners but their not using them.

Build on what? We've given up more than 40 yet again and lucky as **** to not have let them cover the 26.5 spread. Nothing encouraging to see here.

Last years NCAA stats had CU in nearly dead last place on defense. This year were about 10-15 above last.

What has changed is the offense is better. We just can't stop the other teams offense. And our O, well improved, can't score enough to overcome the D.

I was very happy with last night's effort, both players and coaches. The fact that we were competitive for the whole game is a huge leap forward.

The ASU game was over before it started. The Arizona game, we had a puncher's chance. Last night, it felt like we squandered opportunities to put the Buffs in a position for an upset. It was not UCLA dictating the game to us, it was the Buffs missing opportunities to execute.

I agree with the talent disparity point, and I also agree moral victories only go so far. That being said, anyone who claims this Buffs team is not playing at another level from last year doesn't watch the games with any level of attention to detail.

The ASU game was over before it started. The Arizona game, we had a puncher's chance. Last night, it felt like we squandered opportunities to put the Buffs in a position for an upset. It was not UCLA dictating the game to us, it was the Buffs missing opportunities to execute.

I agree with the talent disparity point, and I also agree moral victories only go so far. That being said, anyone who claims this Buffs team is not playing at another level from last year doesn't watch the games with any level of attention to detail.

or is just a complete dumb ****.

Great job Buffs. Youth continues to show though...we failed to execute in all 3 phases...this time it was special teams. It's put all 3 together next week we beat UW.

Morning after...

OK, so small disclaimer. When I watch the Buffs, I have this misguided belief that the Buffs' performance is directly related to beer (and whether or not Ms. Rack is in the room.) So by the transitive correlative property, if the Buffs are doing well, it is because I am having a beer. If they are doing bad, it is because I don't have a beer and therefore need to have one STAT, plus that's usually the time Ms. Rack walks into the room and the belief that they do bad when she is watching multiplies exponentially so she gets hustled out of the room and then screaming at the TV like I'm at the game. End result - the house gets cleaned, laundry gets done (usually by me because I'm so frustrated), I have a lot less good homebrew/craft beer on hand, my kids learn that Dad has found yet another combination of curse words they never thought possible and Ms. Rack still wonders why she puts up with this obsession.

Anyway - did I see the all the positives last night. You bet I did. The twins and I ooohed and ahhhed over the attitude Sefo and Prich showed. It was a heart breaker Adkins couldn't go because the OL actually found their blocks a lot more tonight and Powell had huge holes to run through. Put Adkins in there and he breaks a couple for long gains (more than 12 that Powell had.) Hell, Tony Jones even looked serviceable last night although I still pulled hair out with his constant juke away from the hole the minute he gets the ball handed to him. Sefo made great decisions on his throws (and throw aways). I just wish the staff would let him actually RUN the ball maybe 2-3 times on the zone read just to keep the defense honest - drives me nuts.

Thing is, I see these steps, see us getting better, but then that also means one sees the down side too. The missed tackles (albeit less) the fumbles, the "why is Severson running the ball out of the endzone when he is 5 yards deep?" and then gets to the 15 instead of touchback at 25. And then the defense managing to step up for a couple of quarters only to fall asleep for 10 minutes and then the game is out of hand again. Frustration rises, because I see the glimmer of hope fade away again for yet another week of conference play. Upside is that the glimmer does stay brighter for longer during the games.

So bottom line - I do like what I'm seeing, team is getting better, not by leaps and bounds like I sometimes think I see and MacIntyre is doing it right. I just wish the jackasses at the top would see it and help him out by getting some facilities built because I'm tired of seeing us lag behind the rest of the world....again. Also, it's probably a good thing I could only listen on the old radio during the McCartney building years - had I watched that live, I probably would have had a heart attack by now having to live through and see two rebuilds.

Time to go iron my pants for church....

CU ball. First and goal at the 8. You are in your lounge chair, chips in your lap and beer in your hand. What do you predict our OC will call here?

is it just me or does CU always seem to run it up the middle in a situation like this?

Hey Rack....make sure you take off your pants before you iron.

CU ball. First and goal at the 8. You are in your lounge chair, chips in your lap and beer in your hand. What do you predict our OC will call here?

is it just me or does CU always seem to run it up the middle in a situation like this?

On at least one of those "and goal" plays in the first half, the call seemed to have been a zone running play where the RB is supposed to find the hole. On this particular play, there was a room for Pow to kick it to the outside and he would have been one-on-one with a CB, but he cut it up inside and ran into a swarm of defenders for minimal gain. Point being, it may not always be the play call as much as the play execution that's hurting us.

On at least one of those "and goal" plays in the first half, the call seemed to have been a zone running play where the RB is supposed to find the hole. On this particular play, there was a room for Pow to kick it to the outside and he would have been one-on-one with a CB, but he cut it up inside and ran into a swarm of defenders for minimal gain. Point being, it may not always be the play call as much as the play execution that's hurting us.
Unfortunately, Powell can't break to the outside.

Unfortunately, Powell can't break to the outside.

Lacks the speed to beat most defenders to the outside, but in this case his physicality should have been enough to truck the CB that was essentially the only impediment to the end zone.

Lacks the speed to beat most defenders to the outside, but in this case his physicality should have been enough to truck the CB that was essentially the only impediment to the end zone.
My point, really, is our lack of dynamic play calling in the Red Zone.

No disagreement, just offering that even with the conservative play calls, we could still walk away with touchdowns if we got better execution. I'd hope that we improve on both fronts going forward.

It's too soon for me to take positives from another loss. Maybe I will later in the the week. The tailgating was fun.

No disagreement, just offering that even with the conservative play calls, we could still walk away with touchdowns if we got better execution. I'd hope that we improve on both fronts going forward.

I agree. We've been bitching about the play calling for as long as we have been fans even when the team was awesome. Yes, there were some conservative calls. That's not why we lost. We lost because our buffs lacked both the talent and the experience to execute.

This was a winnable game. Ucla is soft and they were emotionally fragile and tried to hand us a win. They would have lost to any other p12 team yesterday. We have to improve our talent and give it time to develop.

Running plays are always horrible play calls when they don't work. Every football fan everywhere has a moral obligation to point that out. :wink2:

Nothing more frustrating than running the ball and getting stoned.

I don't think UCLA would've lost to any other Pac-12 team yesterday, but I agree it was the definition of a trap game for them. We caught them at a good time.

Having said that, I actually enjoyed watching the team last night. Lots of growth across the board. Obviously a lot to work on as well. I don't quite understand the group that is pissed because we didn't win last night, but to each their own. I'm tired of losing too, but the Buffs exceeded my expectations last night. They raised the bar going forward. That is about as much as we can ask for this season, with the exception of Cal and maybe USC or Utah.

Duff has a whole other post on this, but I'll say here I definitely agree the best aspect of the game last night was seeing actual fight, leadership and accountability out of this group.

Back