What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Washington Game --- Official Thread (8pm FS1)

We have zero, zip, nada playmakers on this team right now. We have no player that strikes fear in our opponent. No one who steps up when the game is on the line and puts the team on his shoulders. Instead, we have guys who make mistakes. It frigging sucks.

I think our WR are still dangerous. Mix of OL, Montez, and play calling has been limiting.

This team spent way too much time in the off-season reading the press clippings. From the nonsense "we're the best wr receiving corps in football" to "This is the best OL weve had in a decade" to "I think I'm the best player in the field (Montez)"... when you primarily recruit 3 stars.....dont or cant close on true difference makers....you can't compete consistently against the elite....and have little ability to overcome mistakes. All the teams that we thought we guaranteed Ws are now debatable...ASU...CAL....Even AZ appear to be better than anticipated. Let's hope MM can get the most out of them......

Last edited:
best team won but hard to keep your motor up (at 10 pm MST) when you haven't played 4 quarters of meaningful football and it's week 4.

i think we are a cosmetic 7-8 win team (which in the big picture is probably good enough) but i'm not (yet) sure what we do better than other teams of equal talent moving forward....and last year's Buffs did a lot of that.

Expected the blowout. Then I thought, well maybe?
Watched the game and felt, . . . vindicated and satisfied with my take on the CU football team.

Lots of work to be done. Maybe CU can get a 7 win season. Same with Nebraska.

Not that it matters at this point, but for the record, I saw quite a few offensive wrinkles that hadn't been used in the first three games. It was almost as if they didn't want to get it on film prior to this week, and it worked pretty well outside of all the mistakes.
So which super secret plays did we unleash on them last night en route to a 4 score drubbing? It looked like a pretty similar game plan to me, and if there was anything last night they had been holding back in earlier weeks it didn't make a difference. Maybe we knew we would lose last night so they really held back some of their best, most top-secret plays for a more winnable game next week. UCLA is in for a surprise!!

The lack of vertical passing game, outside of broken plays and scramble drill has been frustrating. Everything is sideline to sideline and teams eventually sit on that stuff and it stops working.

Washington was just begging to be hit down the seam last night in the 3 wide sets but we apparently don't like to exploit the middle of the field unless it is 8 yard slants that will be abandoned after the first quarter.

I agree, the top secret plays are waiting for UCLA and the top top top secret plays are waiting for USC, watch out PAC 12, Lindgren has some super secret plays coming up

So which super secret plays did we unleash on them last night en route to a 4 score drubbing? It looked like a pretty similar game plan to me, and if there was anything last night they had been holding back in earlier weeks it didn't make a difference. Maybe we knew we would lose last night so they really held back some of their best, most top-secret plays for a more winnable game next week. UCLA is in for a surprise!!
I never said it was going to be a completely different offense, nor did I claim it was going to mean they would drop 50 on Washington. I said their offense looked extremely vanilla through 3 weak OOC games and that I believed there were going to be some wrinkles installed we hadn't seen.

I would say going into a 3 back set with Fields, running the speed option, motioning Frazier out from the backfield to run the screen, more usage of Montez in the read option, having Devin Ross at RB, using Chris Bounds in the backfield, etc all qualifies. All things we hadn't seen, and it worked to perfection when they executed. Can't have 3 INTs, a blocked punt and 3-4 dropped passes.

Last edited:
The game was a bit of a combo of last years UM and UW games. Competitive early. Then fade as CU mental mistakes and coaching adjustments and talent on the other side swing momentum. I think we all knew it but this team is a healthy distance away from competing at a top 10 level and LOS talent is the glaring reason. Maybe they have something coming up on the OL side of things. Time will tell. The DL is another story. Until that changes this is about as good as this team will get.

Improving at the LOS likely won't happen quickly. It takes years if you don't recruit 5* who can make an immediate impact. The JUCO approach is hit and miss, as we've seen.

Are you ****ing serious? Cal gave USC all it could handle and beat Ole Miss and Carolina. Anyone who thinks we beat them is huffing cheap paint. Arizona hung tough with Utah and lost a close one to Houston, a good program.

Buff fans need to get real. This offense is bottom of the P12. Lindgren needs to go sell insurance.

I'm not real optimistic about the rest of the year, but I'd gladly wager a couple hundred that we take at least 2 out of 3 against those 3 schools. Arizona is one dimensional and has never played very well in Colorado. Has North Carolina even won a game yet this year? Ole Miss's whole program is in upheaval. Cal was getting beat 30-13 by USC until a garbage time TD. Not exactly my definition of giving someone all they can handle. We're a 7 or 8 win team. Maybe not what we hoped, but if last night greatly altered your perspective on this team you haven't been paying attention or were overly optimistic to start the year.

We did very well in 2017, but it needs to happen over several classes to really take hold.

The JUCO "strategy" is something the fanbase just kinda made up and ran with because it conveniently fit with the players we have landed. We are offering tons of high school DL with limited success at the moment. I mean, credit to the coaches for finding some JUCO players that have made an impact, but the coaches are recruiting a lot of high school defensive linemen for a reason. If we are scrambling come December for a JUCO-heavy class, it is not because things have gone exactly according to plan.
The JUCO strategy is exactly as you described. Due to failure in prep recruiting, have needed to send Adams and others into the JUCOs to fill the holes as best they can. It's preferable to taking all preps who might develop or might never help you - and certainly won't give immediate help. It's also certainly not the ideal scenario.

I think it was about 20 yards, but if Ross catches that he is still running...
That play would have been a game changer. Ross ran the wheel route and was WIDE open 35 yards downfield. Even if Montez under throws him, Ross can still walk into the end zone. Horrible throw and inexcusable for a D1 QB.

I'm not real optimistic about the rest of the year, but I'd gladly wager a couple hundred that we take at least 2 out of 3 against those 3 schools. Arizona is one dimensional and has never played very well in Colorado. Has North Carolina even won a game yet this year? Ole Miss's whole program is in upheaval. Cal was getting beat 30-13 by USC until a garbage time TD. Not exactly my definition of giving someone all they can handle. We're a 7 or 8 win team. Maybe not what we hoped, but if last night greatly altered your perspective on this team you haven't been paying attention or were overly optimistic to start the year.
I watched the entire Cal-USC game. Cal indeed gave USC all they wanted. Tied going into the fourth, then four interceptions, one that was the result of the defender hitting the QB's arm on the Cal 3 yard line. Cal is very, very well coached and generally they never get mentally out of it. They'll be tougher than we thought.

You obviously didn't watch the USC/Cal game

Noticed that too.
There have been some on this forum who wondered if Lindsay was hurting due to his running out of bounds. I never gave it much credence but am not starting to wonder.

His two blunders last night happened when avoiding contact. On the INT, he did not want to move toward the defender and get blown up, so he tried to catch it with extended arms and maintain room to juke. That 4th and 1 play in Q4, happened right in front of us. When he caught the pitch, I said out loud "He's got it." There was plenty of real estate if he had gone right at the defender.

I think it was about 20 yards, but if Ross catches that he is still running...
If you are talking about the 1st Qtr pass when Montez scrambled and Ross was streaking down the sideline, that was not on Montez. He threw a perfect ball. Ross had nobody near him and he sort of stutter stepped while the ball was in the air. I don't know if he was planning to stop at the hole in the zone, come back toward his scrambling QB or whatever. If he stayed on his route, the ball drops right in his chest rather than being up high and bouncing off his hands. I'm wondering if his whole route was not visible on TV.

Two things stand out to me, both have been mentioned here:
- Sefo was considered high potential but a major liability until his senior year, when he excelled. Why he didn't get it by his Junior year -- who knows? Whether Montez will develop into a good QB later on this year, next year, or his Senior year, or never - can't say. My guess is that this year will be rough, next year much better, Senior year great. That's typical for talented, developing college QBs.
- The Buffs quit unlike any team of MM's I've seen. It's possible Udub just overwhelmed them, but to hang tough early and get rolled later suggests a loss of intensity/effort. I recall some Sefo-led teams losing badly but continuing to fight and make plays to the bitter end. Suggests this team could be psychologically limited from having a successful season. We'll soon see - UCLA is a pivotal game for the season IMO.

Back