What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Washington Game --- Official Thread (8pm FS1)

CU was their own worst enemy last night. You can't even make one major mistake against a team like Washington and expect to win when you are probably out matched with talent.

I liked their game plan on offense last night. They did a great job moving the ball, but couldn't punch it in, or just shot themselves in the foot. Either Montez is not good at throwing down field (not accurate) or they are just not wanting to take those chances. At some point we have to stretch the opposing defense out.

Defense played well and just got worn out in the second half. Still like this team and should still be able to get 7-8 wins.

FYI - Peterson is the best coach in the country. Everything that guy does is pure gold. Washington is so lucky to have him.

You obviously didn't watch the USC/Cal game

Based on what? They hung around for three quarters at home. Congrats. By definition, that is not giving an opponent everything they can handle in a game that is four quarters long. Guess UNC gave us everything we could handle (...for 2.5 quarters).

Edwards is almost comical to watch. On passing downs, it's basically pointless to really block him because it will take him 10 to 12 seconds to get to the QB anyway. At this point, I'm wondering if his only real value to the team as far as PT goes is in very obvious run/goal line situations.
LOL

I never said it was going to be a completely different offense, nor did I claim it was going to mean they would drop 50 on Washington. I said their offense looked extremely vanilla through 3 weak OOC games and that I believed there were going to be some wrinkles installed we hadn't seen.

I would say going into a 3 back set with Fields, running the speed option, motioning Frazier out from the backfield to run the screen, more usage of Montez in the read option, having Devin Ross at RB, using Chris Bounds in the backfield, etc all qualifies. All things we hadn't seen, and it worked to perfection when they executed. Can't have 3 INTs, a blocked punt and 3-4 dropped passes.
Meh, I remember it being a stronger argument that we were intentionally holding back to not show our hand on offense against weak OOC opponents. I'd expect some wrinkles against every opponent, that's a gamelan. Based on what I've seen so far this season, I'd rather we ran the whole offense and actually got good at it than trying to be cute and holding back during early games.

Meh, I remember it being a stronger argument that we were intentionally holding back to not show our hand on offense against weak OOC opponents. I'd expect some wrinkles against every opponent, that's a gamelan. Based on what I've seen so far this season, I'd rather we ran the whole offense and actually got good at it than trying to be cute and holding back during early games.
Yeah, I think that's exactly what they did. They intentionally chose not to show quite a few plays, personnel packages, motions, etc during the OOC schedule, so UW didn't have the film on them. I don't know why this concept is so hard for people to understand. It's quite common.

Brian Lindgren must go. Loyalty will get you beat, MM.

Beyond script, there is no strategy to O.

He is routinely overmatched, especially after D adjusts.

Montez lack of development is stunning. And should not be tolerated on heels of Sefo.

He is not a good recruiter.

For those that support him, you watch a different game.

Yeah, I think that's exactly what they did. They intentionally chose not to show quite a few plays, personnel packages, motions, etc during the OOC schedule, so UW didn't have the film on them. I don't know why this concept is so hard for people to understand. It's quite common.
Would you be so supportive of that strategy if we had dropped one of our first 3 games? Maybe it's common I don't know so I'll take your word for it - just seems like this offense could use all the practice it can get running the full playbook instead of "saving" stuff for bigger opponents. If we were running a really efficient offense and players looked comfortable executing it then I might understand the thinking.

Would you be so supportive of that strategy if we had dropped one of our first 3 games? Maybe it's common I don't know so I'll take your word for it - just seems like this offense could use all the practice it can get running the full playbook instead of "saving" stuff for bigger opponents. If we were running a really efficient offense and players looked comfortable executing it then I might understand the thinking.
Oh no, I'm not overly supportive of it. I tend to agree that to be effective in what you do, you have to run it in games. Obviously, you put in a few new things here and there, but just observing this team through 3 games, it just looked so basic.

Montez lack of development is stunning. And should not be tolerated on heels of Sefo.

Again, he can be inconsistent and is by no means great, but who do you replace him with if you are MM? The "easy" answer seems to be Chev, but not sure that magically changes things for the better.

Firing Lindgren is not going to drastically improve recruiting at RB or TE, is it?

There are some obvious upgrades to be made at different position group coaches before taking the bigger step of firing a coordinator.

I couldn't watch the game last night so I will take your word for it but against Texas state and UNC there were receivers wayyyy open downfield for touchdowns and Montez simply missed them. I think if there is a criticism about BL it is about him not developing Montez not the playcalling.

Again, he can be inconsistent and is by no means great, but who do you replace him with if you are MM? The "easy" answer seems to be Chev, but not sure that magically changes things for the better.

Firing Lindgren is not going to drastically improve recruiting at RB or TE, is it?

There are some obvious upgrades to be made at different position group coaches before taking the bigger step of firing a coordinator.

Yes, position group changes need to be made. A new coordinator with a Rolodex can do that. Chiv may be too light for the job currently. I was big in Somny Cumbie or someone like him at the end of last year, hoping MM could make a change.

You have to weed, seed and feed your staff. MM does not like that aspect of this job.

Just consider my post an evergreen contribution until MM makes a change (or RG forces him). BL is not a long-term solution. We've seen enough.

Yes, position group changes need to be made. A new coordinator with a Rolodex can do that. Chiv may be too light for the job currently. I was big in Somny Cumbie or someone like him at the end of last year, hoping MM could make a change.

You have to weed, seed and feed your staff. MM does not like that aspect of this job.

Just consider my post an evergreen contribution until MM makes a change (or RG forces him). BL is not a long-term solution. We've seen enough.

Let's be honest: the two easiest changes are the ones everyone talks about-Bernardi and Jeffcoat. Do you really need a rolodex for a TE coach hire?

BTW, the most logical hire to make if you are going to make a change is Helfrich.

Reactions: SBG

Yeah, that pick six that Lindgren threw really killed us.

Back