What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Way Too Early 2018 Season Prediction

Number of wins the Buffs will have in the 2018 regular season?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 1.4%

Votes: 8 5.6%

Votes: 15 10.6%

Votes: 45 31.7%

Votes: 42 29.6%

Votes: 15 10.6%

Votes: 4 2.8%

Votes: 1 0.7%

Votes: 10 7.0%

• Total voters
I think CU is in a place now where we could attract a first level coach and staff. So, Mac had better prove he can win like one of those. And recruit like one. I'm more upset about our recruiting than I am about our record last season. Of course, those probably go hand in hand.
Upset about the best recruiting class we have had in ten years?

I can’t quite figure out why people are upset with our recruiting. I’m way more upset about our record last season. 5-7 with butt ugly losses to UCLA, UA, and ASU is awful. I’m willing to chalk that up to the turnover in personnel (both coaching and players), but they better not put out another **** show like that in 2018.

Upset about the best recruiting class we have had in ten years?

I can’t quite figure out why people are upset with our recruiting. I’m way more upset about our record last season. 5-7 with butt ugly losses to UCLA, UA, and ASU is awful. I’m willing to chalk that up to the turnover in personnel (both coaching and players), but they better not put out another **** show like that in 2018.
I understand why people are upset with our recruiting. We didn't take the 2016 season and turn it into a top 25 class like we should have. And we followed that up with a ****ty year on the field. The class itself is very solid, but it should be better. I also believe people are mislead by the ranking we received. In terms of caliber, this was the best class in 10 years yeah, but was it at the level it should be? No.

I understand why people are upset with our recruiting. We didn't take the 2016 season and turn it into a top 25 class like we should have. And we followed that up with a ****ty year on the field. The class itself is very solid, but it should be better. I also believe people are mislead by the ranking we received. In terms of caliber, this was the best class in 10 years yeah, but was it at the level it should be? No.
Exactly. We had a solid class but not what I’d have expected after ‘16. We need to be top 20 and I believe that’s completely doable.

I'll go with 7 W's in 2018. Anything more would mean that we had completely unexpected surprises at LT and NT. Actually just to get to 7 will require certain players to substantively exceed how they performed last season.

Personally I'd like more victories but I would view 7 as an A+ for the sole reason that it would drive the MM haters bat-**** crazy and keep them at a nice enjoyable frothy level for yet another offseason.

I would forego my personal enjoyment for a few more victories but I think that is unlikely given the current roster.

Not sure what a first level coach is, but I do believe that the Colorado job was a great job after 2016, and is still a good job right now and that Rick George cannot let it slip backwards!!! One question that I have is:

Would Troy Calhoun have coached the Buffs to better records in the past 3-4 years than MM? Troy has remained on the top of the hot coach list for the past 3 years and I feel that as a whole, he possibly would have led this program to higher highs!!!

Not sure what a first level coach is, but I do believe that the Colorado job was a great job after 2016, and is still a good job right now and that Rick George cannot let it slip backwards!!! One question that I have is:

Would Troy Calhoun have coached the Buffs to better records in the past 3-4 years than MM? Troy has remained on the top of the hot coach list for the past 3 years and I feel that as a whole, he possibly would have led this program to higher highs!!!
Does Troy want to leave Air Force? He’s set for life there. Do we know if he could recruit to a P5 level?

Not debating whether he wants to leave or whether he could recruit P5 per se, just wondering that based on the fact that the rest of the so called experts throughout the country place him at the top of the hot coach lists every year says that people are impressed with his coaching. I said this because he has good geographic connection, good NFL Connections, coaches offense and defense in a creative way, and wants to be in Colorado. I think he would recruit Colorado really well, and I believe he would recruit Texas really well. He of course would need good staff, but I am just saying that MM has my support right now until he does or does not beat the Fuskers. I have always liked Troy and just think he would be a good get for Colorado this next season falls on its face.

Troy Calhoun to replace MikMac is like replacing your AMC Gremilin with a Ford Fiesta. Why bother?

Funny thing is that the Gremlin is now a collector car!!! There is a cult following for it.
I was just comparing if our results would be different with a more fundamentally sound coach.
I like Troy and feel he is a better pure coach than MM.
If the Colorado job was open tomorrow, who are you top 3 candidates Lefty?

Funny thing is that the Gremlin is now a collector car!!! There is a cult following for it.
I was just comparing if our results would be different with a more fundamentally sound coach.
I like Troy and feel he is a better pure coach than MM.
If the Colorado job was open tomorrow, who are you top 3 candidates Lefty?
I suppose we should limit it to people who would actually come here. So I won't bore you with Saban et al. and I won't be suggesting fossils like Rocky Long and Les Miles, who are great coaches, but not long for the sideline....

1. Jeff Tedford;
2. Blake Anderson;
3. Neal Brown.

A dark horse? Jedd Fisch.

What about Mark Dantonio. Fits our scheme, MSU is messy, could work.

Which coach do you think will make the most impact? Kurt Roper or Kwahn Drake?

I'm thinking Roper might make a difference in this case as he will be only focusing on the QBs instead of the whole offense as the previous OC did. You all know that Paxton Lynch who is on his way to being a first round bust for the Broncos? He didn't have a QB coach in high school and probably college football as well so having a QB coach could make a difference with the CU QBs this season. Maybe that offensive explosion that was supposed to happen last year will finally happen this year.

Playing on the DL is a thankless job but if Drake can get the boys to play hard and well, that could define CU's season. And maybe he will actually develop some DL players.

Darrion Jones will be wearing 88...you might want to remember that number. 82 (the TT transfer) might be another number to become familiar with.

1*NEVWE956OQKIWbWhmPjWjQ.png

I'm thinking Roper might make a difference in this case as he will be only focusing on the QBs instead of the whole offense as the previous OC did. You all know that Paxton Lynch who is on his way to being a first round bust for the Broncos? He didn't have a QB coach in high school and probably college football as well so having a QB coach could make a difference with the CU QBs this season. Maybe that offensive explosion that was supposed to happen last year will finally happen this year.

Playing on the DL is a thankless job but if Drake can get the boys to play hard and well, that could define CU's season. And maybe he will actually develop some DL players.

Darrion Jones will be wearing 88...you might want to remember that number. 82 (the TT transfer) might be another number to become familiar with.

I might agree that a blocking TE is a thankless job, or a FB, but not DL imo. If DL is perceived as thankless in our program, that's a problem.

DL is not a thankless job. Look at all the top schools in the country. They have dominate DLs and a lot of their star players come from those position groups. Gary at UM is an example but others would be Bama's DL, Clemson, etc. OL is definitely the most thankless job. A blocking TE is just an extension of the OL and when the OL does a good job, no one talks about them. When they do bad, they get the brunt of blame on the team's failures. Both sides of line are essential for the success of a team more so than any other position, but DL is in the light because of the stats they receive and immediate impacts they can make a game.

DL is not a thankless job. Look at all the top schools in the country. They have dominate DLs and a lot of their star players come from those position groups. Gary at UM is an example but others would be Bama's DL, Clemson, etc. OL is definitely the most thankless job. A blocking TE is just an extension of the OL and when the OL does a good job, no one talks about them. When they do bad, they get the brunt of blame on the team's failures. Both sides of line are essential for the success of a team more so than any other position, but DL is in the light because of the stats they receive and immediate impacts they can make a game.

I was speaking from experience playing in the interior lines...people who never played in the interior lines at any level doesn't understand how many head knocking there is in the trenches.

I was speaking from experience playing in the interior lines...people who never played in the interior lines at any level doesn't understand how many head knocking there is in the trenches.
I was more worried about someone taking me out at the knees with a chop block. Perfectly legal in the 70s

you will have to ask Hawg that question. he has proclaimed himself as the expert in these matters.
Substantial P5 experience. Demonstrated Recruiting prowess. Logical advancement under good mentors. Skills on both sides of the ball. It’s a shame others don’t know what this looks like around here.

Back