What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

We now take you to Ann Arbor Michigan

Rumors that a former Michigan staffer was accessing other teams’ video they uploaded on the cloud for their players.

Remember this from the offseason? To be clear, it’s all speculation of course, but there are some people suggesting there is a connection

Coach Sanders is culture building here. it makes sense for him to say you still have to stop them-- no excuses. that is a mindset that works-- forget everything you can't control and focus on being the best at what you can control.

his statement is completely irrelevant to what is about to happen to michigan. with all the tacitly and not so tacitly sanctioned sports betting, "integrity" (aka something resembling a fair chance) is the one thing that leagues will bring the hammer down to protect.

michigan is going to get blasted. the only interesting last part of this for me is whether the nfl puts the radioactive tag on harbaugh thereby denying him his golden escape to further riches. cynical me says the nfl lets a team take a chance on him. belichek forgiveness for iconic coaches and all.

Integrity of game will be protected by NCAA or B1G. Stiff penalty ahead, IMO.
Really? Integrity of the game will be protected by the NCAA? You’re kidding right? Since when have they done anything for the integrity of the game? The let the big dogs get hands slapped while the little fish face the brunt of sanctions. It’s been happening for yrs! Say hi Colorado Lunch program! yea and unc with one of the biggest academic scandals of all time get away totally unscathed.

Thanks for explaining your view on this. All of those things you listed provide a big advantage. I suspect that knowing signals does too.

And the more I think about it, I agree with Coach Prime. Even if you know the play you still have to stop it (which goes to the talent stuff that you bulletized that is an important factor in the game). So he's being honest, but his statement feels very much incomplete.

I very much view football as a game of deception. It's a lot like the military in that way. Show one thing, but do another. Pretend to be predictable while setting up something unpredictable.

Wherever the relative talent lies on the field, I suspect that knowing signals/plays would have an enormous impact on the outcome of the game(s).
I feel like if we knew the plays Stanford was going to run, the outcome is very different. Oregon, not so much.
Likewise, if TCU knows which plays we were going to run, I also expect a different outcome.
Honestly, in-game, I think sign stealing could be one of the most impactful “cheats”.

Really? Integrity of the game will be protected by the NCAA? You’re kidding right? Since when have they done anything for the integrity of the game? The let the big dogs get hands slapped while the little fish face the brunt of sanctions. It’s been happening for yrs! Say hi Colorado Lunch program! yea and unc with one of the biggest academic scandals of all time get away totally unscathed.
I'm actually starting to warm up to Fred 2.

I feel like if we knew the plays Stanford was going to run, the outcome is very different. Oregon, not so much.
Likewise, if TCU knows which plays we were going to run, I also expect a different outcome.
Honestly, in-game, I think sign stealing could be one of the most impactful “cheats”.
Dude, 'Furd ran the same quick slant like 15 times in a row. how could we not know it was coming after the 5th time, and yet still couldn't stop it.
Pedro Laughing GIF by Brand MKRS creative agency

Thats what happens when Ceal Berry self-reports and helps in the investigation. Never report anything and tell the NCAA to **** off if they ask for anything.

Thats what happens when Ceal Berry self-reports and helps in the investigation. Never report anything and tell the NCAA to **** off if they ask for anything.
Sort of. You self report and self impose a corrective action, then get the lawyers involved to fight tooth & nail against the NCAA imposing anything further.

That's the way tOSU handled the exact same infraction immediately after CU self reported and grabbed its ankles. Result for tOSU was a nothingburger followed by the NCAA changing the rule.

Seems like this is only a big deal because of gambling. I don't gamble, so I am not really upset. Just let the kids get radios in their helmets, issue over.

And for the thought they are going to get hammered, the NCAA has about as much power over college football as I do in my marriage. I don't think they can do anything to a football blue blood at this point.

Seems like this is only a big deal because of gambling. I don't gamble, so I am not really upset. Just let the kids get radios in their helmets, issue over.

And for the thought they are going to get hammered, the NCAA has about as much power over college football as I do in my marriage. I don't think they can do anything to a football blue blood at this point.
It's more than just gambling. Impacted the results of games, not just the scores. Worse than a point shaving scandal.

It's more than just gambling. Impacted the results of games, not just the scores. Worse than a point shaving scandal.
Yes, it impacts games. But so did Okie and Nubs giving their players roids and cocaine. SEC, and other conferences, paying players under the table to get recruits also impacted games. The Pac 12 changing referee calls in real time to ensure U$C won also impacted games. The refs in the CU/Texass game were openly rooting for UT to score. There are countless other ways teams and conferences have cheated, it just seems like a lot of outrage because of the gambling public losing money and because Harbaugh is a dick and people want him to fail.

Yes, it impacts games. But so did Okie and Nubs giving their players roids and cocaine. SEC, and other conferences, paying players under the table to get recruits also impacted games. The Pac 12 changing referee calls in real time to ensure U$C won also impacted games. The refs in the CU/Texass game were openly rooting for UT to score. There are countless other ways teams and conferences have cheated, it just seems like a lot of outrage because of the gambling public losing money and because Harbaugh is a dick and people want him to fail.
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

As a reminder, sign stealing is not against the rules. Michigan is being hit for violating the rule against in person scouting, which is against the rules for financial reasons. In other words, they spent money they shouldn't have. Whereas spending ridiculous money on coaches’ salaries, analysts, facilities, etc. is just fine.

and frankly, while the hand signals might be the same, for this to mean anything competitively, you not only would need to know which signaller was live, you would need access to the wristband used by the player on the field to see which play was being called. And I have a hard time believing that those wristbands have the same plays in the same order every week.

As a reminder, sign stealing is not against the rules. Michigan is being hit for violating the rule against in person scouting, which is against the rules for financial reasons. In other words, they spent money they shouldn't have. Whereas spending ridiculous money on coaches’ salaries, analysts, facilities, etc. is just fine.

and frankly, while the hand signals might be the same, for this to mean anything competitively, you not only would need to know which signaller was live, you would need access to the wristband used by the player on the field to see which play was being called. And I have a hard time believing that those wristbands have the same plays in the same order every week.
Considering that the guy was standing next to Michigan coaches on the sideline with a graphic card of the other team's sideline signals and in their coordinators' ears, I think we have a strong suggestion that what they were doing mattered.

Considering that the guy was standing next to Michigan coaches on the sideline with a graphic card of the other team's sideline signals and in their coordinators' ears, I think we have a strong suggestion that what they were doing mattered.
If it didn't matter Michigan wouldn't have done it.

Video taping/recording signs is also against the rules.

Also, the wrist band is typically tied to a number which has a play associated with it, not hand signals. Tge wrist band is irrelevant. The hand signals are likely telling the players specific plays and/or route combinations based on the coverages and/or defensive fronts and alignments that are being seen.

In short, very tangible and material information can be gathered from sign stealing.

When I played HS baseball, we didn't change the hand signals, but we did change the indicator as to which hand signal to execute every game.

This **** isn't that hard.

That being said, Harbaugh is a ****ing moron for not knowing this was against the rules, and is likely going down.

Back