What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

We now take you to Austin, TX

Bite marks, scratches and bruises. The 911 call should be revealing.

I would love to wait, presume innocence, and give Beard the benefit of the doubt... but I've seen this story way too many times of the victim of domestic violence recanting the accusation.

If she believes she loves him, blames herself for what happened and sees a better outcome for herself if he doesn't lose out on the millions on his contact while becoming unemployable... that would not be unusual.

Bite marks, scratches and bruises. The 911 call should be revealing.

I would love to wait, presume innocence, and give Beard the benefit of the doubt... but I've seen this story way too many times of the victim of domestic violence recanting the accusation.

If she believes she loves him, blames herself for what happened and sees a better outcome for herself if he doesn't lose out on the millions on his contact while becoming unemployable... that would not be unusual.
It's great to feel compassion for victims in DV situations.
On the other hand, I've seen a large number of such cases, where the woman was the total aggressor, called the police and made a good show of claiming she was the victim

Some questions, of potential jurors:

1. You've heard the saying "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" (and you immediately note, that's sexist, both sides can be furious and uncontrollable in these situations.) And you talk about people out-of-control.
2. Are each of you aware of what happens, if a person dials 911 and reports being a DV victim? Sure, everybody knows.
3. Do you think a 140 -50 lb women, angry, is capable of hurting someone badly? (and every officer will testify that in their experience, women can be as much a danger as a man.)
4. Do we all bruise the same, or do some people bruise a lot more easily?

It was stated early on, that she took his glasses from him, setting things off:

My uneducated starting point:

He is totally into his job and preparing his team
He spends hours reviewing films, working on a game
In season, this is a big issue for her - she's 'jealous' because she's not getting the attention
She's had a drink or two
She's nagging him
He's ignoring her
She grabs the glasses off his face - assaulting him
He reacts, grabbing her back (note many of us over-react when someone goes to our face or eyes)
she's tough, gets crazy and starts punching him
he tries to take it easy
but she has him down, is punching and he grabs her throat to push her away, control her.

I don't know what happened, what the evidence is - did he keep the video - but I'd regard this as a defensible case. The specifics of the evidence could change that.
But, I used to do a thing where I'd stand in front of the jury box and slap myself in the face, loud and pretty hard - asking if people couldn't mark themselves, make it look like someone hit them

Hunkered down in the cold, time on my hands.

On the other hand, I've seen a large number of such cases, where the woman was the total aggressor, called the police and made a good show of claiming she was the victim

1. You've heard the saying "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" (and you immediately note, that's sexist, both sides can be furious and uncontrollable in these situations.) And you talk about people out-of-control.
2. Are each of you aware of what happens, if a person dials 911 and reports being a DV victim? Sure, everybody knows.
3. Do you think a 140 -50 lb women, angry, is capable of hurting someone badly? (and every officer will testify that in their experience, women can be as much a danger as a man.)

In season, this is a big issue for her - she's 'jealous' because she's not getting the attention
She's had a drink or two
She's nagging him
He's ignoring her
He reacts, grabbing her back (note many of us over-react when someone goes to our face or eyes)
he tries to take it easy
but she has him down, is punching and he grabs her throat to push her away, control her.

I don't know what happened, what the evidence is - did he keep the video - but I'd regard this as a defensible case. The specifics of the evidence could change that.
But, I used to do a thing where I'd stand in front of the jury box and slap myself in the face, loud and pretty hard - asking if people couldn't mark themselves, make it look like someone hit them

****ing quit it, dude.

She's had a drink or two
She's nagging him
He's ignoring her
he tries to take it easy

1671898102883.jpeg

Last edited:

She's had a drink or two
She's nagging him
He's ignoring her
he tries to take it easy

Wtf is wrong with you

She's had a drink or two
She's nagging him
He's ignoring her
he tries to take it easy

I bet you’re fun at parties.

She's had a drink or two
She's nagging him
He's ignoring her
he tries to take it easy

Dude, you’re making all of this stuff up to fit your narrative that “she probably deserved it!” .

It's one thing to talk about how you might come up with a defense that would result in a not guilty verdict in a courtroom.

This doesn't change the fact that a violent incident happened with Beard involved. Regardless of the circumstances surrounding it a man acting violently towards a woman is not something that we can or should accept in our society.

If a violent incident happens unless she has a gun or a knife I feel safe in saying for myself and most of the guys here that we should be able to protect ourselves against an angry woman without striking her or otherwise doing physical damage much less grabbing her by the throat.

More importantly we should have the kind of judgement that allows us to recognize the risk of an angry confrontation occurring and remove ourselves from that situation before it happens.

In this case we are talking about an individual who is one of the highest paid employees of the state he is in, a man who is paid in large part to be a representative of the flagship university and what it stands for.

I don't care what the court might say, I expect a person in this position to have better awareness, better judgement, and make a more appropriate response. I see no way that keeping him in that position can be justified.

A little context by way with "Dad" wisdom.

When I got married my dad sat me down for a conversation. "Son, when your mother and I got married we decided that if I was too mad at her to speak with her civilly then I would would go take a walk until I could." He then added "The first few years we were married I wore out more shoes than anyone in the neighborhood."

They were close to being married 50 years when he passed away and I can honestly say I never saw him act in anger towards her and he would have taken his own arm off before using it to strike her. As kids he was a patient and tolerant father but the one thing that he would never tolerate from us was disrespecting Mom, that was unacceptable.

To make excuses for a coach, for a guy who not only represents the school but who is also directly responsible for the formation and maturation of the young men associated with the team is not something that can be accepted

the fact that there are so many regular posters on AllBuffs who have law degrees is concerning in itself (but I also learn a lot from it)

I mistakenly got in an argument in instagram comments yesterday with someone who was trashing A Basin's new parking update, only for it to escalate to them threatening to splatter their own **** on every EV parked in the early riser lot...I appreciate contrarian views with some anecdotal/experiential backing, but moral of the story...it's usually best to not "go there"

Last edited:
It's one thing to talk about how you might come up with a defense that would result in a not guilty verdict in a courtroom.

This doesn't change the fact that a violent incident happened with Beard involved. Regardless of the circumstances surrounding it a man acting violently towards a woman is not something that we can or should accept in our society.

If a violent incident happens unless she has a gun or a knife I feel safe in saying for myself and most of the guys here that we should be able to protect ourselves against an angry woman without striking her or otherwise doing physical damage much less grabbing her by the throat.

More importantly we should have the kind of judgement that allows us to recognize the risk of an angry confrontation occurring and remove ourselves from that situation before it happens.

In this case we are talking about an individual who is one of the highest paid employees of the state he is in, a man who is paid in large part to be a representative of the flagship university and what it stands for.

I don't care what the court might say, I expect a person in this position to have better awareness, better judgement, and make a more appropriate response. I see no way that keeping him in that position can be justified.

A little context by way with "Dad" wisdom.

When I got married my dad sat me down for a conversation. "Son, when your mother and I got married we decided that if I was too mad at her to speak with her civilly then I would would go take a walk until I could." He then added "The first few years we were married I wore out more shoes than anyone in the neighborhood."

They were close to being married 50 years when he passed away and I can honestly say I never saw him act in anger towards her and he would have taken his own arm off before using it to strike her. As kids he was a patient and tolerant father but the one thing that he would never tolerate from us was disrespecting Mom, that was unacceptable.

To make excuses for a coach, for a guy who not only represents the school but who is also directly responsible for the formation and maturation of the young men associated with the team is not something that can be accepted

Let's talk about my first-ever trial. Domestic assault case involving an unmarried Dominican couple. The ex-girlfriend testified to pretty shocking abuse during the incident--including that my client bit her, drawing blood. She was clearly exaggerating, and perhaps lying altogether. I invited her to show the jury where he bit her and she got off the stand, lifted her shirt, and showed a non-existent injury/scar. Complete acquittal.

A few weeks later I ran into the DA in court, who told me that my erstwhile client had been arrested in the Bronx for raping her.

My point is: trial facts are not real-world "facts." Juries decide cases on emotion, and a witness who makes a poor impression can lose a case that would otherwise be won. I try not to draw conclusions about what actually happened in a criminal case where I'm not involved, because I'm unfamiliar with the evidence. Further, I've tried more than one case where the "facts" the sides are presenting and arguing for are all incorrect. In a drug deal gone wrong, the (white) buyer will often say he was robbed when he actually handed someone money for drugs and got beat, the defense may well be identification, even though the defendant took the money.

Let's talk about my first-ever trial. Domestic assault case involving an unmarried Dominican couple. The ex-girlfriend testified to pretty shocking abuse during the incident--including that my client bit her, drawing blood. She was clearly exaggerating, and perhaps lying altogether. I invited her to show the jury where he bit her and she got off the stand, lifted her shirt, and showed a non-existent injury/scar. Complete acquittal.

A few weeks later I ran into the DA in court, who told me that my erstwhile client had been arrested in the Bronx for raping her.

My point is: trial facts are not real-world "facts." Juries decide cases on emotion, and a witness who makes a poor impression can lose a case that would otherwise be won. I try not to draw conclusions about what actually happened in a criminal case where I'm not involved, because I'm unfamiliar with the evidence. Further, I've tried more than one case where the "facts" the sides are presenting and arguing for are all incorrect. In a drug deal gone wrong, the (white) buyer will often say he was robbed when he actually handed someone money for drugs and got beat, the defense may well be identification, even though the defendant took the money.
Agree completely with what you are saying.

I'm certain that you have had clients who were completely guilty but got off as you said because of ineffective testimony and emotion. You could probably also give us multiple cases that should have gone not guilty (didn't say innocent but lacking in real evidence to prove guilt) but who were convicted because the jury liked a witness who wasn't telling the truth or gave added credibility to a title or uniform.

What is important to me here is not what the court will say about Beard (although I have a hard time believing that he is the innocent victim here) but the fact that a person in his position allowed himself to get into this situation.

There are jobs in this world that carry a certain responsibility to not be involved in anything that reflects negatively on the employer. These responsibilities are directly connected to the high salary that comes with the job.

As an attorney you are responsible to conduct yourself in a way that reflects appropriately on the court, as a teacher I was expected to not do anything that would call into question my suitability to work with other peoples kids. Beard was paid massive amounts of money to be a face of the school.

Personally, my feelings on Beard and his future have nothing to do with how a court case might turn out.

Agreed, no matter what happens, he will likely never coach a high level game again, or if he even comes close to where he was it will be after a long image rehabilitation effort. Guilty, not guilty, doesn't matter, being involved in a situation like this has ruined his career.

I know a few "high profile" (not really that high profile...), but they talked about how it just takes someone making a completely baseless claim to ruin your career. They talk about how having cameras around are a blessing in many respects with that, and they will almost never go somewhere without a camera around unless there is true trust of the whole situation. Although many will talk about lack of privacy, I think in many respects it gives you freedom knowing that you would be able to shoot down false claims very quickly before they become a headline.

Back