What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

We now take you to Evanston, IL

This doesn't seem to make sense. And in other news, Fitzgerald's public release basically said he met and agreed to the suspension but was blindsided by the President's unilateral decision to terminate and he's got legal counsel responding.

Let's be honest here... He was fired because of public perception and an institution with an elite academic reputation didn't want to go to the mat for their coach. Was there actually any evidence that Fitzgerald knew what was going on and failed to do anything about it? I suspect this is why he's going to sue and probably win.

Why is the 6 month investigation upon which Prez made initial suspension decision different?
Law Lawyer GIF

also

Hands Up Applause GIF by ŁKS Łódź

Mixed feelings. Yeah, you are the CEO for lack of a bettter way to say it, and the buck stops with you. OTOH, would anybody really know what all 110 guys are doing? GB got caught up the same way. PFitz will bank more cash off the settlement than I will ever earn, so it is kind of hard to feel bad for him. He will be back on the sideline shortly anyway.

NW FB is probably dead now.
I agree with the person in charge being held accountable. However, other coaches on staff should also be held accountable - particularly if what they were doing to contribute to the hazing wasn't following a direct order from above.

Elko seems like a logical choice and Kafka as #2

I'm not sure why Elko would leave- I don't think his contract is public, but he was making over $2M per year at A&M so it has to be more than that. NW was paying Fitz ~$5.3M per year. NW may very well settle with Fitz and so they may not even be able to pay that. My guess is it's a minimal difference in money.

Elko's doesn't really have any ties or much experience in the region (save a year at ND), and I'd have a hard time seeing him jump this late in the offseason to a different school (especially to follow a really popular alumni coach, who also has arguably had the most success of any coach there since WW2 save Barnett). So, either he'll continue the trajectory at Duke and have a whole host of offers next offseason in addition to NW, or he won't have much success next year and NW won't want him.

This doesn't seem to make sense. And in other news, Fitzgerald's public release basically said he met and agreed to the suspension but was blindsided by the President's unilateral decision to terminate and he's got legal counsel responding.

Lends more credence to my previous opinion that NW admin is ****ing this up pretty badly.

and he's got legal counsel responding
consensus from my partners is that Dan Webb is the best attorney in Illinois. This should be interesting. Also have a friend in NW's GC's office and I've been oh-so-tempted to call him but can imagine its not the best time right now. 99.9% this results in a confidential settlement. NW is up s----'s creek without a paddle at this point.

I agree with the person in charge being held accountable. However, other coaches on staff should also be held accountable - particularly if what they were doing to contribute to the hazing wasn't following a direct order from above.
This.

That's what is driving the "clown show" comments, IMO.

It's not that they made a bad decision and were forced to make a better one. It's that no one thought about the rest of the implications. Some, if not most, of the other coaches needed to be fired to.

I get that there's organizational challenges to doing that at this stage of the game, but there are a stack of "analysts" working on the coaching staffs of other schools that could be brought in within a couple weeks if you had an actual plan and worked it hard.

consensus from my partners is that Dan Webb is the best attorney in Illinois. This should be interesting. Also have a friend in NW's GC's office and I've been oh-so-tempted to call him but can imagine its not the best time right now. 99.9% this results in a confidential settlement. NW is up s----'s creek without a paddle at this point.

Meh. Big 10 money buys a sh*tload of paddles. Isn't MSU paying Midnight Mel upwards of 30 million?

1689191840305.png

Let's be honest here... He was fired because of public perception and an institution with an elite academic reputation didn't want to go to the mat for their coach. Was there actually any evidence that Fitzgerald knew what was going on and failed to do anything about it? I suspect this is why he's going to sue and probably win.
Apparently there were notations about this stuff on the team whiteboard

The decision to keep the staff is all about the timing of this news. I don't think you search for even an interim (like **** bailer did in 2016) who isn't corrected to your program because fall camp likely starts in two weeks. David Braun makes sense to at least me because he knows their kids, but has only been there six months. As unimportant as football may seem in the context of this, Northwestern still has to suit up a team 12 times this year. They're all fired at the end of this-because Northwestern will have some options. Paul Chryst makes a lot of sense there. David Shaw may fit. Jim Leonhard might fit there.

Firing Fitzgerald was the correct thing to do in my view, but the way they did it makes it look like Schill caved in to the mob. They will have to pay him something.

Elko seems like a logical choice and Kafka as #2
Kafka will be an NFL HC in 2024 and Elko likely has a better gig now.
The essence of command: its your fault even when youre not present because you picked these people who were watching in your absence.
Ehh I think its the way this all played out-and not the outcome itself. Fitzgerald gets a two week unpaid vacay in the middle of July originally for this, and then Schill reverses course and fires him for cause two days later. If you've been under a rock for the last two weeks, it would look to you like Schill caved to public pressure.

They'll work something out-Northwestern gives him $10-15M as a settlement.

And in what should be a shock to nobody, The Athletic as posted a long form story on the history of hazing that started under the watchful eye of one Gary Barnett.

After Barnett left for Colorado following the 1998 season, replaced by then-Miami (Ohio) head coach Randy Walker, it became apparent that the culture inside Northwestern’s program was not a coincidental series of quirks.

No wonder NW sucked - the players also hazed the coaches as well player / coach group sessions of grievance-airing, including calling out people for infidelity and questioning sexual orientation.

Hazing lawsuits brought against universities and coaches are likely to explode around the country now.

Back