1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What does CU have to do to get back in the picture?

Discussion in 'University of Colorado Recruiting Archive' started by skinsfan55, Jun 23, 2014.

1. skinsfan55

skinsfan55 Club Member Club Member

I'm more inclined to trust HCMM and his staff. I know that star ratings aren't the be all, end all of recruiting. Still, I wonder why other programs seem to be more successful right now.

Washington State University is not a great school and their football team has had 7 straight losing seasons. They've got 2015 commitments from two ESPN top 300 recruits.

The University of Utah has had some nice recent success and a #1 overall NFL draft pick in the last ten years. They've fallen on hard times though, but were still able to get two 4 star recruits in the 2014 class.

Football at the University of California hasn't been anything special for a while, but they pulled in two ESPN top 300 recruits in the 2014 class.

-----

These seem like the most comparable teams to CU in the last few years, and they seem to be churning out more high profile classes than the Buffs. I know CU has been pretty bad for the last few years but they're a historically strong program with a respected coach, at a good academic school in a town that's consistently rated as one of the best for partying.

So what's the problem? Is it academic rigor? Is it facilities? What prevents us from getting big name guys? Out of the last three four star guys we've gotten Sefo is the only one who was true blue CU all the way. We were a backup plan for Yuri Wright and Shay Fields. What does CU need to do so they can get on the same footing as these lesser Pac-12 schools? What do they have to do to get on the same footing as middle of the pack schools like Arizona and Washington and what do they need to reach Oregon and USC?

2. Gary Indiana

Gary Indiana Club Member Club Member

Please see other 1000 threads that contain this debate.

3. DrunkRalphie

DrunkRalphie Well-Known Member

4. Uncle Ken

Uncle Ken Orr no morr Club Member

Isn't Skinsfan the asshole that chastises others for starting new threads on existing topics?

Let's keep it tight guys! It's how the good sites do it...

5. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

1. WSU went to a bowl game in 2014, their 2015 recruiting is getting a bump because of that, otherwise their 2014 was #70 nationally (#12 in the Pac 12)
    2. While Utah has had two straight 5-7 seasons, they went 8-5 their first year in the Pac 12 and haven't been a national joke. On the otherhand, we've gone 8-29 (4-23) in conference play.

Most importantly, we just need to show progress in the form of wins on the field. An upset would be huge. This staff wasn't built to recruit, but given how bad the CU football brand perception is in Colorado and the West Coast, I'm not convinced many could recruit here. Having said that, I expect a significant bump in recruiting this Fall.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  6. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

Boulder really does sell itself on most days. An upset this year of one of the Pac-12 Powers would really grab us the press we need to get over the hump I think. A bowl game would also be huge. We are getting closer. I think you can see it in the culture shift within the program.

7. 4thGenBuff

4thGenBuff Active Member

8. Tractor

Tractor Club Member Club Member

Win

9. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

When?

Uncle Ken likes this.
  10. vinniew_11

vinniew_11 Well-Known Member

Isn't this the whole egg before the chicken thing? Do you need the better recruiting/players to win? How do you win without the better players?

11. Quattro

It really shouldn't be terribly tough to go 3-6 in conference play. Are we so much less talented than Wazzu was in 2014? I doubt it.

12. vinniew_11

vinniew_11 Well-Known Member

According to some on this board, yes, we are so much less talented. I don't think so, but we shall see.

13. Quattro

Well a lot of people here would piss in their grandmas Cheerios and laugh about it as she ate

14. FlaBuff

FlaBuff I drive a Dodge Stratus! Club Member

In my defense, my grandmother was reeeaaaallly mean.

15. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

Out of these teams:

Arizona State
    Cal (away)
    Oregon State
    USC (away)
    UCLA
    Washington
    Arizona (away)
    Oregon (away)
    Utah

which 3 will CU be favored to beat in 2014?

If the Buffs are going to win 3 conference games, this would be the year to do it - with 5 home games and 4 road games in conference.

16. TimmyDUBs

TimmyDUBs Dirty haole Club Member

True that. Next years schedule is rough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

17. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

Win + long term support from the university. I don't think even one 6 win season will give us that big a bump. Nationally, we are perceived as a university that doesn't give a **** about our football program both financially and in terms of university support (particularly in troubled times).

We will be climbing out of the abyss for quite some time. This hole was created by the university and it's, at best, apathy for the football program. The hiring of D2 and Embree simply made it all that much worse. We've had systemic problems throughout the University and the AD since the guitar playing wonder.

I'm tired of being patient, but it is what is necessary if we want to get the national perception changed back from a joke to a contender (or even winner for that matter). /MTN-length post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18. skinsfan55

skinsfan55 Club Member Club Member

I doubt that many kids are looking at AD's but I wonder if the signing of Rick George would change many people's minds about CU not giving a **** about football. He's a guy who was the COO for a two time American League pennant winning team who many of us thought we didn't have a shot at at all. He came back to a school where he'd worked for like 3 years and it made such a big impact on him he came back. I would view the CU job as a little bit of a downgrade, unless he ends up making football successful here.

Also, this new renovation of the field and the facilities might sway favor with the recruits.

The reason I asked is because I don't know as much about recruiting as some of you guys. I wondered what sorts of things might help get recruits to consider CU, besides winning which is obvious. Lots of teams win, but what kind of things do they do that lead them to wins? What kinds of things get recruits?

19. boulder77

boulder77 Certified Organic Club Member

pretty simple ...

Attached Files:

20. Quattro

At this point we won't be favored in any, I'll go with being favored over Utah and slight dogs to OSU and Cal by time those roll around.

Meh. 2015 a lot of Pqc 12 teams will be breaking in new QBs. Home slate is tough but still no reasons to not win 7 total.

21. cubuffs11

cubuffs11 Club Member Club Member

Lt.Col.FrankSlade likes this.
  22. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

RG helps change my perception, but it will take time for others to buy in. The local and national media dictate kids decisions these days and they know we've had major dysfunction for more than a decade. There is tons of ammo to use against us in recruiting circles due to University and AD dysfunction. I think things have changed, but perceptions will not change for some time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

23. 4DemBuffs

4DemBuffs Most admired poster Club Member

Cheat.

24. gone native

gone native Club Member Club Member

Hookers and Blow is the answer you were looking for.

25. TimmyDUBs

TimmyDUBs Dirty haole Club Member

Fisheye lens?

Panoramic?