What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What would you guys think of Mike Nolan at CU?

do not want.

i think it's pretty evident that college coaches have a hard time transitioning to the nfl and nfl coaches have an equally hard time transitioning to college. mike nolan seems like the kind of guy who would have a hard time transitioning to college. he doesn't look like he has the type of personality that would be a good recruiter and one of the big reasons he was fired from the broncos was that he stubbornly refused to make any adjustments to his defense once offenses figured out how to exploit it. which is why the broncos defense was so good in the early part of the season and so bad in the end

I agree that NFL and college do not translate well, but I disagree that he was fired/resigned from the Broncos due to him stubbornly not making adjustments. Our Dline play really started to suck, and our team overall just seemed tired. I think McD is way in over his head and is SOOO in control of the entire team that when Nolan and him didn't see eye to eye...it was time to move on.

But whatever. To get back on topic, even though the NFL doesn't translate well to college, I'd take the best candidate overall regardless of where they're coming from. Mike Nolan does want to become a HC again in the NFL, and him taking the CU job would be a demotion - sort of like a movie star accepting a television role. The NFL has more money and presitge than the vast majority of college positions out there. Nolan has lots of experience and knows how to coach, but can he recruit? Did he hire a great staff in SF? I don't know him personally to know if he can recruit, but I don't think his SF staff was that amazing. I'd be interested in Nolan, but not convinced he's the best candidate out there.

I do like that if we did hire him, it would be big national news for a day. There are a lot of NFL coaches that would pique my interest though.

IMO, all these "perspective coach" threads need to have a poll as the first post, "Would you take coach x, yes or no"

Anyway, The Niners were pretty much a disaster under him, but I don't know how much of that is on him, cause sure as hell, Mike Singletary isn't doing any better.

Also, you know else who was a NFL washup? Pete Carroll. Take that as you will.

Sometimes. Offenses in the pros are pretty vanilla. Not a lot of option. QBs don't run. The formations are pretty standard. It's all about execution in the NFL. All the athletes are at the top of the game. An NFL DC needs to work on things like film study, scouting his opponents offensive tendencies, getting cues from formations, etc. A college DC needs to defend the spread, the pistol, the option, the WCO, etc.

The good offenses in the pros most certainly are NOT vanilla. They are incredibly complex and it is the reason many offensive minded pro coaches have struggled in the college game. Watch a good offense and try to figure out how many formations that team runs in a given game, you will quickly figure out "standard" formations just do not exist.

Panda, not going to argue. Just wanted to clarify that he was not fired from the Broncos. He resigned. My understanding is that it had a lot to do with him having issues with the offensive play calling going away from what had worked, becoming pass happy, and causing his defense to wear down by being on the field too much. It's no accident he went to Miami with their balanced attack. And the Broncos have slipped from the #7 defense last year to #19 this year (Dolphins are #7, up from #13).

Nolan quit before he could be fired because he and McDaniels differed greatly on McDaniels' role in defensive gameplanning. McDaniels wanted a bigger role and Nolan wanted more autonomy. There were certainly other issues, but that was the main one.

Nolan quit before he could be fired because he and McDaniels differed greatly on McDaniels' role in defensive gameplanning. McDaniels wanted a bigger role and Nolan wanted more autonomy. There were certainly other issues, but that was the main one.
The rift supposedly started after the Colts game. McDaniels disagreed with a call, and wanted more say in game-planning. Nolan wasn't going to have any of that.

At least that's the story I heard.

Well for one, can we not let my Dolphins have a good DC for awhile?

I like Nolan, but his time in San Fran was pretty bad if I recall correctly. I don't hate him as a candidate, can you imagine his defense vs college QBs? That being said, I would rather we went after Jim Mora Jr. He just strikes me as the type of guy that would have a blast in college, even if he does someday want to get back to the NFL. Nolan seems like he graduated from the college game long ago and will be in the NFL until he retires.

Well for one, can we not let my Dolphins have a good DC for awhile?

I like Nolan, but his time in San Fran was pretty bad if I recall correctly. I don't hate him as a candidate, can you imagine his defense vs college QBs? That being said, I would rather we went after Jim Mora Jr. He just strikes me as the type of guy that would have a blast in college, even if he does someday want to get back to the NFL. Nolan seems like he graduated from the college game long ago and will be in the NFL until he retires.

Mora Sr was an assistant here if I remember correctly.

The job that Mora Jr will always have his eye on is Washington. We'd be able to keep him until that job opened up. Then, we'd lose him to a conference rival. I can live with that possibility, but we'd need to go into it with our eyes open.

The job that Mora Jr will always have his eye on is Washington. We'd be able to keep him until that job opened up. Then, we'd lose him to a conference rival. I can live with that possibility, but we'd need to go into it with our eyes open.

Haven't they learned their lesson on stealing our coaches?

You are right though, I feel bad for the guy for having stuck with the Seahawks over the Huskies and then gets fired after one year anyway. Either way, while I'd like to hire the next Joe Pa, we have to assume most of the people we will want to hire went to school elsewhere, or are from another part of the country. There will always be some bigger better school out there. Hell didn't Hawk say his dream job was ND? I'm sure most coaches are like that.

Things like that is why I am convinced McHoodie will not succeed in Denver. He had a very strong defense (which was held together by duct tape and bailing wire) and solid DC and he didn't trust Nolan enough to let him do his job.

I also heard McBonaparte thought Nolan blitzed too much and wanted him to dial it back. Now he has his yes man and the defense sucks. Bravo, Josh. Bravo. You now have the 25th ranked scoring defense in the NFL. That's not gonna win you many games. They were the #12 scoring defense last year.

I'm much more comfortable with a NFL defensive guy then a NFL offensive guy

That's a great point.

NFL offensive guys struggle with having a complex playbook and then realizing that college kids only have 20 hours a week to spend on football along with other responsibilities as a student. Guys like Weis and Callahan will always look like great hires, continue to get big time college jobs, and continue to fail at them. NFL defensive and special teams coordinators are much more interesting to me for college jobs.

Back