What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Why are you a Buff?

Family moved to Boulder when I was one year old. My Dad was a big football fan, so he bought tickets even though he had no real connection to the school. Started bringing me to the games when I was about four years old. I went to Boulder High and was on the swim team. BHS doesn't have a pool. They use the Claire Small pool. That's the pool behind the two doors next to the main pool in the rec center. Most of you probably didn't even know that was there. Every day, walking up that hill and past Sewall Hall, I thought "some day I'm going to go to school here". I did.
I absolutely love this place. There's a magic to the campus that can't be described. It's like I was meant to be there. I'm never so content as I am when I'm on the CU campus.

Grew-up in the Denver area. My oldest sister went to CU, my middle sister went to CU and I had no interested in going anywhere else. To complete the story:
2 Sisters - alums
me - alum
wife - alum
2 daughters - alums
son-in-law - alum

Nice. I've started the brainwashing early. My daughter knows three songs. The ABC song, Itsy-Bitsy Spider, and our fight song.

family moved around growing up and for some reason in 2000 my parents decided to move to Colorado from Europe. I had lived in New York prior to that so I already loved football. My freshman year of high school the first game I can remember was 62-36. I got hooked and then winning the Big XII sealed the deal. Been a fan ever since. Graduated in 2009 having not missed a single home game through those dark years. Now my sisters graduated the last 2 years as well. Safe to say we are a Buff family through and through now.

Unknown-copy.jpeg

I grew up like 2 miles from Hughes Stadium and could actually hear the stadium from my house. But I was always a casual CU fan as I loved all Colorado teams. We moved to Eaton when I was 10 and my best friend there was in a big Buff family. We planned on "going to the #1 party school in the nation" to bang sloots. As most know my identical twin is "OMFGasm" our favorite CSU troll. I believe my CU die-hard Fandom grew in Middle School as we argued daily about CU-CSU. I went to CU and he to CSU and the rest is history. Of course my mom, brothers, and dad all separately have CSU season tix and they along with tons of friends make up half of ramnation.

Born in Denver, moved to Tampa as a baby but moved back to Denver in the second grade. Always rooted for all Colorado teams but my mom went to CSU so the only time I went to Folsom as a kid was in the visiting section as a CSU fan. 62-36 is the first game I remember watching start to end (obviously I remember the parts of the 2 Broncos super bowls, Vick and Va Tech, etc, but I will always remember that entire game). That is sort of when it all started, my Dad then took me to a couple of RMS's in a row and the lightning game was one of my best football memories. Then high school came along and I applied to Mizzou, Florida and Colorado. Was dead set on going to Mizzou for a while (we visited family there every summer at Lake of the Ozarks) but when I got early acceptance to CU I just knew it was the right thing to do and I didn't feel like going back to Florida. My first game as a student CSU rushed our field in 2009, I think my four years there were the worst 4 years in the history of the program with a combined 12 wins. It was rough but it is making this year a million times better.

My dad was on the ski team in the late 70’s, so that’s my connection. I also grew up in Morrison, so a quick shot up 93.
I was hooked after attending the Fighting Illini game in 1989.
Some of my greatest memories are driving up 93 and parking at the Harvest house, hanging out there for a couple hours with my dad and his buddies. Then stopping at the “Packer bar” for some chili on the way home.
To say I was indoctrinated pretty early is an understatement. I was Hagan for Halloween every year between 1st and 6th grade. My best friend was Bienemy during the same years. I wore that jersey to almost every game through college. Still break it out now and then.
Didn’t attend CU because I played baseball in college, but always loved them. Go Buffs!

Long time Buff fan and Allbuffs lurker. Born and raised in PA. Attended many PSU games as kid, but got tired of all the BS that went with PSU in 80's and how they could never do any wrong all their rabid supporters and gray hairs. One Saturday while watching the Buffs play in the mid 80's, (the start of the Mac 1 days), I just fell in love with them. Never went to CU, but have travelled there a bunch since I was stationed in Fort Riley, KS and I have been a huge supporter since. Took a few classes at KSU while in the military and loved being the only student in the student section of the KSU games dressed in black and gold. Not easy to find the games on TV back here on the east coast. Still though, I do get a couple of "nice shirt" when I am out and about here in central PA. so, there are a few of us fans around.

Mine is simple, When I was a 4th grader I sent a letter to my namesake Coach Crowder, he wrote me back and invited my father and I to practice, It just happened to be the 1970-71 season. That year the Buffs finished 3rd in the country behind NU and OU a Big 8 sweep of the top of the poll. That letter is on the wall of my office along with a picture some 20 years later at my house in Aurora after the national championship. He was really cool to me every time we met for lunch or what ever. It was also strange we both are Edwin, and both of us were born on Aug 26th.

Mom spent a few semesters working in CU's music department before ending up at Northwestern and calling Chicago home. Grew up a Northwestern fan by blood. Visited CU and knew it was the place for me the minute I stepped on campus. First game experiences were beating CSU and then WVU in overtime and I've been hooked ever since. Ended up getting my degree from Illinois for a few reasons but have kept my loyalty. Nothing better than wearing the black and gold to the office on Fridays in the heart of B1G country.

Last edited:
Older brother started as an undergrad in Boulder in 1988, older sister started at CU grad school in 1989.... My first CU game was the Illinois/Jeff George game & I was hooked. I was a junior in high school during the national championship season and that just sealed it for me. My family got a dog the day I got my acceptance from CU so of course we named her Ralphie. In 1994, I road tripped to the Texas game & the Fiesta Bowl v. Notre Dame with a bunch of my sorority sisters. Tripped to KU in 1996 too.
I moved away after graduating for a few years to Seattle and would go to the CU bar to watch the games by myself every Saturday. Got season tickets in 2000 when I moved back and besides missing some games during pregnancy/infancy, still have my season tickets and took both of my boys to the Idaho State & Oregon State games this year (you may have seen them up on the rooftop - they were providing much entertainment with their version of the fight song). Husband is a Georgia Bulldawg but a college football fan first and foremost, so enjoys games to Boulder "almost" as much as I do. It's really going to suck when my kids start playing sports on Saturdays.

You first have to start with deciding to go to CU. I applied to their engineering program. They had an early acceptance process. I was sent a letter saying I was under consideration, but that I didn't make the first cut. It went on to say if I submitted a 500 word essay about why I would be good for CU, it would increase my chances of getting accepted. My mom watched me finish reading the letter and said "What do you want to write your essay on?". My response was "Any school that wants me to do homework before I even start classes is clearly not the place for me!" and proceeded to crumple up the letter and throw it in the trash. Fast forward 4 months later, and CU accepts me anyway. We are planning a trip to U of A and UCSD and my mom said let's ensure we swing by Boulder. I repeated what I said previously, but she overruled me and we went to Tucson and Boulder, skipping San Diego outright. Like everyone else, I fell in love with Boulder and the decision was easy. Thanks for knowing better, mom!

Becoming a Buff football fan was a little more involved. I arrived on campus in 1987 and was one of the 5% of students who didn't make the grandfather claused drinking age for 3.2% beer that was getting phased out. So basically, all my friends and buddies could go to the 3.2% only bars on the hill (what was the name of that place on the lower level on the left side as you walk up from campus? I can't recall right now - Pogo's?). This extended to ROTC working the concessions at the game. There were only 6 of us in the unit that missed the drinking cut off, but that meant I couldn't work concessions because they didn't really know what job you would have and didn't want the liability of ensuring 6 of us didn't touch alcohol. Since all of my friends were at the stadium in 87 working the games, I didn't end up going to the games - I usually went to the rec center and worked out just for something to do. In 1988, they assigned me to work as an usher in our military uniforms in the Flatirons Club. That may have been the most boring job ever (and you had to show up 3 hours before kickoff to just stand around for 2 hours until people started trickling in, but I worked every home game from 1988, 1989, and 1990. No one went in or out during live action (basically) so I watched all the home games stone cold sober during our best run in history from the 50 yard line in the Flatirons Club. It made me a life long fan, attending both Orange Bowls in person.

Started at CU in 1996, joined the marching band. Met my wife in the marching band in 98. We have both been in / worked for the marching band ever since.

No affiliation before that, grew up in Pueblo, joined the Army, switched to the National Guard, let uncle sam pay for CU.

Been to every bowl game save Hawai'i since 96, 1 road game per year when not deployed - Miami, NU, Toledo, OhST, MI, ASU, . .

It all started for me as a teenager in 1988 and watching an exciting quarterback named Sal Aunese. Growing up in Pennsylvania, CU wasn’t televised too often in my area. But when they were, I watched and I’ll never forgot the Illinois game the following year when Jeff Campbell took the long pass to the goal line, got up and pointed to the press box where Sal was watching. At that moment, I knew I would forever me a Buff fan. Twenty eight years later, I still bleed Black and Gold, watching every game and when possible, fly out to Boulder for a game or two. And I’m honored to have dedicated a Legacy Brick on the Buff Walk for the great Buff Sal

And I'm now wondering if PA-Buff is the dude that stole my Buffs sweatshirt from me a few years back

Grew up in Littleton. Was a mild ND fan (don't ban me) due to my Irish Catholic family. I was always a Buff fan though. My dad and I would go to one game in Boulder a year. I have really fond memories of all of those games as sports was always the main connection between my dad and I. As I got in to middle school I became a huge Buff fan and had learned to hate the Domers. I didnt plan on going to college as I was set on enlisting in the military. Plans changed and I went to community college and eventually ended up as an engineering student at CU.

I was born in denver in 1971. When i was seven years old i started watching the cu and csu coach's shows with starr yelland on channel 7. I rooted for cu and notre dame(part-irish catholic who went to seven years of catholic school, so that was mandatory). My first subscription to sports illustrated came in the fall of 1980, and i was excited to see an article on cu. it was the infamous douglas looney article describing how bad fundraising and worse football forced the ad to drop eight sports, the helmut decals that never got used, the fancy office fairbanks built himself, losing to drake, giving up 82 points to oklahoma, etc.

That was pretty eye opening. Nonetheless, it just made me more of a cu fan. I suffered through the 84 1-10 season and told anybody that would listen that we were way closer than our record said we were. I even watched cu basketball during the apke era. I enrolled at cu in the fall of 1989, got two degrees from cu, and I live or die with cu. i can take or leave the nfl, or baseball, couldnt care less about the nba anymore, and hockey is only interesting when the avs make the playoffs. But I take cu football personally.

Born FoCo, but lived in Boulder since pre-school. Family were season ticket holders to WBB for all my formative years, when the WBB team was just about always in the tourney, top 10 ranked, Elite 8... (**** you Georgia). But always rooted for the other CU sports too, went to an occasional football game. Didn't become obsessed with it until joining the marching band my senior and super-senior year at CU.

Really started following the Buffs after CU beat Oregon this year on my 35th birthday.

or, I was recruited by running backs coach Oliver Lucas out of Winter Park, FL in 1987 and Bill McCartney convinced my mom that it would be a good idea for her son to travel 2/3 the way across the country to go to college. He was right. It was. I got there in 1988 and redshirted. It was good timing.

Both my parents went to CU and I grew up in BVSD. They dragged 4 year old me to the national title game. My first real sports memory is the Miracle at Michigan. I was about to storm out of the room in childish disgust when my dad, in the way only dads can, told me to come back because "you never know what can happen." I can't imagine how gratifying that moment must have been for him.

Went to U of Akron in Ohio and moved here 2 years ago for work. Before I moved here I was always intrigued with CU because the stadium was always one of the coolest on the old NCAA Football video games. When I came on my "recruiting trip" for work I made my wife visit the stadium and took a photo through the fence from outside of the locked gate.

Fast forward to me moving here...I live in the same complex as a long-time CU Video guy and became good friends with him. Went to the Utah game 2 years ago for my first real Folsom experience and loved it. After that game I told my buddy he had probably one of the coolest jobs ever and if he ever needed any help with the Video dept to count me in! Luckily he needed someone to do some odd jobs on gameday last year and offered me the chance which I jumped at. After the CSU game last year I was immediately hooked and have fallen in love with the program. Last year I got to take photos on gameday and assist some of most talented individuals I have ever met. The amount of work and dedication they put in is amazing and the results are equally amazing. One of the craziest things for me was last year before one of the games, I was wandering around taking pictures and when I later looked at them I realized that I had taken a similar picture but I was on the inside of the same gate I was at on my recruiting trip just over a year later. What a crazy turn of events and something I could have never dreamed of!

This year I have been given the opportunity to expand my role and work some audio and even some video camera work. They actually used some of my footage from the Michigan game in The Rise which I am extremely proud of. I have a family, work a full-time job, am probably too old for this, however nothing I do makes me happier than gameday and being around this team and this program, especially with the positive results they are having. I cannot overstate how dedicated everyone involved with the program is with making this a success and it is happening. I am extremely excited for all of you who have suffered through the rough times but from everything I have witnessed, this is just the beginning, so I hope you all are ready.

BEFORE AFTER
before-after.jpg

Born and raised in Colorado. My dad is an alum (Evans Scholar) and has had season tickets for as long as I can remember. Went to games all growing up and attended the "sleep away" football camp when Neu-weasel and Barnett were coaching. My relationship with my dad was always tense and never really saw eye to eye on anything except the Buffs. Even that changed when applying to colleges, I wanted a change of scenery and shunned applying to any Colorado schools. Ended up in Flagstaff but after a year I knew I wanted to come home but only if it was to go to CU. Spent sophomore year in Flagstaff but my dad was the first person I called when I got accepted to CU. Graduated in '09.

62-36 is my favorite game. My dad had 2 tickets but he had brought a buddy and so did I. We were freshman in high school and so he gave us $80 (total) and said you guys find tickets where you can, we're going in. Well we didn't have a chance to buy tickets with only $80 between us for that game so we wandered around campus until he called me and said that since we couldn't get in we could take the re-entry passes and go for the second half. He gave up his seats to for one of the all time greatest games so my buddy and I could watch Chris Brown destroy the red.

Met my wife at CU and our little one went to his first CU game in the Big House. I'll bleed Black and Gold for life

Last edited:
I come from the land where college sports is king. All pro sports over 100 miles away. Media is all college football and basketball. Ending up at CU and graduating, it was simply a no-brainer that you make it your team and stick with them. I caught the tail end of some success, enough to whet my appetite.

Back