What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Why are you a Buff?

It all started for me as a teenager in 1988 and watching an exciting quarterback named Sal Aunese. Growing up in Pennsylvania, CU wasn’t televised too often in my area. But when they were, I watched and I’ll never forgot the Illinois game the following year when Jeff Campbell took the long pass to the goal line, got up and pointed to the press box where Sal was watching. At that moment, I knew I would forever me a Buff fan. Twenty eight years later, I still bleed Black and Gold, watching every game and when possible, fly out to Boulder for a game or two. And I’m honored to have dedicated a Legacy Brick on the Buff Walk for the great Buff Sal

And I'm now wondering if PA-Buff is the dude that stole my Buffs sweatshirt from me a few years back

HAHA. no, but I am always looking for a good sweatshirt!!

Grew up in Denver area and have attended CU football games since the late 1970's. Undergrad alumnus (1988-1992). Season ticket holder (hoops and football) on and off since graduating. Raising my kids to be rabid Buffs fans -- really glad they can finally experience a winning season and true Buffs glory this year.

I'm from western NY(Rochester). Went to my uncles wedding in Boulder in early 80's. Toured Boulder for a few days with parents and went sight seeing, Mork's house, Pearl St., Estes Park. Then went to Folsom, got to walk on the field , pretty cool. Been a fan ever since. First and only game was vs. Nubs 95' or 96', don't remember the exact year. We lost. I have no friends that are Buffs fans out here. Get to watch them every week though. Been following this sight for over 10 years and enjoy the insight everyone provides. Take your sammich and stick it though! Cuse in name is for wife (Syracuse law96') season tickets B-ball only. We have real crappy football in western NY from high school to D1 to the BILLS. Still have a powder blue jersey Mom bought me from that first trip to Boulder. My 2 boys are Buff fans now that they are doing well again. Hope to get out there next year for a game if kids sports don't interfere.

I went to CU during a time when the program was going through pretty rough times (the wonderful Fairbanks years). I continued to follow them into the early 90's, but then work, living halfway across the world, and raising my family made it difficult to stay connected. Fast forward 25 years and out of the blue my son tells me he wants to go to CU and started there this fall. That peaked my interest again and after watching the Michigan game I was hooked again.

Born in Boulder. Mom was RDA for many of the football players in the late 80's, early 90's. They would come over to our house from time to time. She recently retired after 30 years working for the university. Dad was on the chain gain (was not the guy who gave the 5th down) and official scorer for the basketball team through the late 80's through 90's. Spent a lot of time at a lot of games growing up.

Went to school where there was a baseball program. Came back and worked at the CUAD during summers and postgrad.

Basically, I didn't have an option to not be a die-hard.

Was fortunate enough to have an opportunity to go play at some of the most prestigious programs in the country....many of which I now loath. While I was in coach's office, he got a call on the "red" phone, said it was the Devil himself, and he was eagerly awaiting my visit to the land of cow ****ers and corn. Coach encouraged me not to dance with the Devil, and said that if I accepted the invitation to attend the greatest university in the country, I would also have a direct line to God (Gold Phone). How could I turn that down? Met my wife there (also a Buff) and all of my closest friends to this day. I can attribute just about everything good that has happened in my life (directly or indirectly) to that decision.

Both my parents went to CU. Knew the fight song since I was like two years old and have loved the Buffs ever since. A couple fun CU moments I had growing up were obviously the 2001 Nebraska game and the 2007 Nebraska game. How awesome is it that these moments are starting to reoccur! Growing up I admired CU players more than Broncos players. In middle school and high school I wore 14 (hence the username). I loved watching Joel Klatt play. Maybe my kids will wear 13 after some guy named Sefo that played when I went to school at CU!

Born and raised in Denver. Used to go to Boulder for birthday parties to play football on the Folsom Turf. Looked at going out of state for school, but when the parents said "get a scholarship or look in state", there was only one choice (and it wasn't get a scholarship). Missed way to many games since rugby games were on Saturdays as well, but got there for most the big ones. Graduated in '01 after a super senior semester. Went to 62-36 (yay!) and then to the Fiesta Bowl against Oregon (boo!).

Met my wife after college, but she is a Buff as well. The twins are well trained in the way (as you can see form the 5 year old photo of the boy).

I was born and raised in the mountains of southern Colorado, and am 3rd generation CU alum.

My folks made me apply to a few schools, but there was no chance I was going anywhere else. CU won it all my sophomore year in high school, and my mom to this day says I only went to CU because of the football team. I think she says it to piss off my dad.

Anyway, like a couple of others who have already posted, I enrolled in the fall of 93. We spent the night in Folsom to get our student tickets, which I think was a hoax played on the freshman class that year. We smacked around Texas and Baylor that year before the infamous fight game with Miami. (****ing Big East refs screwed us in the end.) I was friends with a few of the players, but most of those guys never played and some of them transferred.

Anyway, the way since then has been long and tortuous - I had season tickets for years but gave them up in disgust a while back now - maybe I need to start thinking about picking them back up.

I was born and raised in the mountains of southern Colorado, and am 3rd generation CU alum.

My folks made me apply to a few schools, but there was no chance I was going anywhere else. CU won it all my sophomore year in high school, and my mom to this day says I only went to CU because of the football team. I think she says it to piss off my dad.

Anyway, like a couple of others who have already posted, I enrolled in the fall of 93. We spent the night in Folsom to get our student tickets, which I think was a hoax played on the freshman class that year. We smacked around Texas and Baylor that year before the infamous fight game with Miami. (****ing Big East refs screwed us in the end.) I was friends with a few of the players, but most of those guys never played and some of them transferred.

Anyway, the way since then has been long and tortuous - I had season tickets for years but gave them up in disgust a while back now - maybe I need to start thinking about picking them back up.
Speaking of that Miami game, I remember it too, we need to get them back on the schedule for a rematch on that one.....nobody comes into Folsom and stomps on the buff...

Speaking of that Miami game, I remember it too, we need to get them back on the schedule for a rematch on that one.....nobody comes into Folsom and stomps on the buff...
Except Warren Sapp and The Rock.

Someone almost hit one of their players with a giant d_ildo.

That was humorous as an 18 year old I guess

Except Warren Sapp and The Rock.

Someone almost hit one of their players with a giant d_ildo.

That was humorous as an 18 year old I guess
And I remember being able to drink beer at the game. Had a guy that graduated highschool ahead of me. We would go up to the games and he's buy us beer...man were those fun days.

Grew up outside of Colorado Springs where my family had season tickets for Air Force, mainly because price and convenience meant the whole family could go to games vs going to Boulder where, as my dad said "the best college team in the state" played. My dad was also a big McCartney fan, so we definitely followed and cheered for CU even though we didn't go to the games: would listen to Zim call the CU game on a Walkman radio while sitting in Falcon stadium watching the zoomies play.

Went to school in Chicago (better scholarship than CU offered), where I went to every one of Northwestern's home games for 3 seasons during the start of the Barnett era there - because hey, it was college football and there was at least a tie back to my home state football team. Transferred back to UCCS which I attended on and off for several years while I, uh, skied and partied a lot grew up and decided what the hell I wanted to do with my life. While at UCCS got some student tickets for football. Started regularly making the trek to Boulder for games then.

Jobs, school, wife, life put me on the east coast starting 9 years ago, but oddly that's made my tie to the program stronger - my fandom is sort of an everyday tangible reminder that l'm from a better place than here.

Not that "here" is always all that bad:
DSC_0126 (1).JPG

How about we get an officiating crew that will stop the clock when we go out of bounds. That call still makes my blood boil. The whole stadium pointing at the clock. One of the seminal moments in my life. That is the day I learned to hate officials.

September 7, 1985. I am a freshman in my first week or two of college, waking up in my dorm getting ready to throw a frisbee or whatnot. A friend of mine swings by and says that some people are going to go over and watch the football game. As crazy as it may seem, I remember that nobody in the dorms had been excited for football games. The team was coming off a 1 - 10 season, and nobody was that excited. One of the reasons I went was that the older brother of a friend of mine from high school was on the team and was supposed to start that season. I just thought it would be cool to be able to tell him that I saw the game.

Anyway, we go down and watch the Buffs beat the Rams. A week later, we are there early to grab the best seats to watch the Buffs win a squeaker against Oregon. Mickey Pruitt sacks the Oregon QB on 4th and goal from the Buffs 3-yard line. We go ape**** crazy. By the time we played Ohio State on September 21, I am decked out in Buffs gear, and can tell you about the entire team from poring over the Camera sports section and a CU press guide that had been given to me. The student section is full and rocking. Yeah, we lose that one, but follow it up with a three game winning streak, and end the season 7 - 4 with a trip to the Holiday Bowl. I am hooked, and have had had season tickets every year since.

How about we get an officiating crew that will stop the clock when we go out of bounds. That call still makes my blood boil. The whole stadium pointing at the clock. One of the seminal moments in my life. That is the day I learned to hate officials.
Those officials were on Luther Campbell's payroll.

September 7, 1985. I am a freshman in my first week or two of college, waking up in my dorm getting ready to throw a frisbee or whatnot. A friend of mine swings by and says that some people are going to go over and watch the football game. As crazy as it may seem, I remember that nobody in the dorms had been excited for football games. The team was coming off a 1 - 10 season, and nobody was that excited. One of the reasons I went was that the older brother of a friend of mine from high school was on the team and was supposed to start that season. I just thought it would be cool to be able to tell him that I saw the game.

Anyway, we go down and watch the Buffs beat the Rams. A week later, we are there early to grab the best seats to watch the Buffs win a squeaker against Oregon. Mickey Pruitt sacks the Oregon QB on 4th and goal from the Buffs 3-yard line. We go ape**** crazy. By the time we played Ohio State on September 21, I am decked out in Buffs gear, and can tell you about the entire team from poring over the Camera sports section and a CU press guide that had been given to me. The student section is full and rocking. Yeah, we lose that one, but follow it up with a three game winning streak, and end the season 7 - 4 with a trip to the Holiday Bowl. I am hooked, and have had had season tickets every year since.
I grew up in a small Colorado town and had one great player on our football team. Barry was recruited by CU to be a punter. He was our QB, kicker, punter..everything. But I started following them when he was on the Bob Hope Christmas specials as the AA rep for CU (twice). Then married a girl that her Dad had CU tickets even though his two older kids had gone to CSU and UNC. Trips back from living in Cali and go to games with him. Totally addicted. Once we moved back and she was going to finish up her degree, we were too far south for CU, but she finished up going to CU Denver part time while working full time. But wanted to give her Dad a CU grad. So he's know he at least raised one of the kids right.

The call I remember most of all was late in the game with us driving in Miami territory. It was 4th down, and Kordell found CJ for what would have been a drive extending first down at about the 15 yard line. Right before the ball got there, CJ was blasted in the back. Most obvious case of PI I've ever seen. ****ers.

I remembered that call when Miami was called for that phantom PI call that cost them the national title about 10 years ago. Didn't make up for it, obviously, but it was a nice case of schadenfreude .

The call I remember most of all was late in the game with us driving in Miami territory. It was 4th down, and Kordell found CJ for what would have been a drive extending first down at about the 15 yard line. Right before the ball got there, CJ was blasted in the back. Most obvious case of PI I've ever seen. ****ers.

I remembered that call when Miami was called for that phantom PI call that cost them the national title about 10 years ago. Didn't make up for it, obviously, but it was a nice case of schadenfreude .

Dont forget the phantom hands to the face call on us that pushed us back in the first place. Those refs will suck c**ks in hell for eternity.

Best thing to do is not let the officials determine the outcome, they'll screw you at times. Take care of business and leave no doubt. Easier said than done obviously.

For those that question how much football success matters, it certainly caught my attention. Granted, frequent trips to CO as a kid helped, but seeing CU on tv kicking ass constantly certainly kept them in my mind. A visit to Boulder (my final visit of about 8 schools) did it. Publicity from a successful athletic program is invaluable for admissions . VT would NOT be what it is today (pretty solid academics) without Beamer. It could be another CSU or ECU.

Back