What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Why are you a Buff?

Born & raised in Denver as a Buff fan. Neither of my parents went to college, but my high school years coincided with the Buffs under coach Mac.

I was a decent soccer player (All State two years running) and wanted to play at the next level. CU had a good club team, although the Sunday League team I played on my senior year in high school beat them 9-0. Kinda disappointed in the CU squad who (IIRCC) just won the club national championship. Anyhow, I was accepted to CU as a freshman, but couldn't bring myself to play on CU's club team. I had a number of D1 scholarship offers, but also had a girlfriend who was a year younger than me and I didn't want to leave her (she was going to be my wife).

So, I accepted an athletic scholarship offer to a local D2 school. While I felt I got a great education (I worked my ass off in school), I always wished I would have gone to a big school (i.e. CU). And I was always, and still am, a huge CU supporter, and spent as much time in Boulder as I could.

Long story short, I broke up with my girlfriend (the future wife) my sophomore year in college, so my devotion was wasted. Oh well, it has all worked out pretty well for me in the long run.

GO BUFFS.

I grew up near Eugene as a Ducks fan (hate them now).

I was a brilliant child, and started college when I was 8. It was a Big 10 college, and it was horrible; nobody warned me about the Midwest. At the end of my sophomore year, I stopped in Boulder on my drive home from my ****ty Big 10 school, and was blown away.

I immediately submitted an application to CU and transferred. I started at CU as a junior in 1990. It took me a full three years to finish off that challenging journalism degree, and then I stuck around for a year of grad school, and ultimately left CU in '94. It turns out that 90 to 94 years were pretty good years to be a Buff, if you like football.

Now I'm 35, not as brilliant, and still loving my Buffs.
You were really big for your age. Also, you know how some people are really smart but you can't really tell? You were definitely one of those guys.

Grew up in South Denver, both parents are CU grad school alums, and became a fan in 2001 (62-36!!!!). CU was always near or at the top of my list and I ended up sending in my early-decision on the day of the 2007 OU game. Graduated engineering in 2012 and returned in 2014 for a master’s degree - just in time join the original Folsom Frenzy board! Now, I'm a proud season ticket holder for both fb and bb. Hope to add more to this story in the coming years! GO BUFFS!!!!!

Family is from Nebraska, so I grew up a husker fan. And not just because I M Hipp, either. I was classy, but low key about it. Lucky enough to get a scholarship to CU so I became the black (and gold) sheep of the family. Successfully converted 1 nephew to Buff Nation (proud of him since, until this year, all he has known is crappy football, but he's never wavered). Made for some fun family Thanksgiving weekends, back in Big 8 / Big 12 days. My email address may, or may not, but definitely does, include the numbers 6236, which I know my family enjoys. Like I said. Classy, but low key about it.

Family is from Nebraska, so I grew up a husker fan. And not just because I M Hipp, either. I was classy, but low key about it. Lucky enough to get a scholarship to CU so I became the black (and gold) sheep of the family. Successfully converted 1 nephew to Buff Nation (proud of him since, until this year, all he has known is crappy football, but he's never wavered). Made for some fun family Thanksgiving weekends, back in Big 8 / Big 12 days. My email address may, or may not, but definitely does, include the numbers 6236, which I know my family enjoys. Like I said. Classy, but low key about it.
Serious question: How does one grow up a fan of a big time program with such a die hard fan base and then completely switch allegiances to a rival? I know you went to school at CU, but I can't imagine becoming a Nub fan, even if I ended up getting a scholarship there.

Serious question: How does one grow up a fan of a big time program with such a die hard fan base and then completely switch allegiances to a rival? I know you went to school at CU, but I can't imagine becoming a Nub fan, even if I ended up getting a scholarship there.
It wasn't an overnight thing. I showed up in 84, wearing a Nebraska shirt (despite the fact that some family friends, who were CU alums, had given me a shirt for graduation that said...Big Red Eats Buffalo Chips). At the time, no one at CU really cared all that much about the shirt. My parents visited for the Nebraska game in 84, and I watched it with them in the Nebraska section, which at the time...was pretty much the entire stadium. I didn't see a lot of games that year, because most games, I was ankle deep in beer, filling cups for the vendors as part of our NROTC fund raising. But living in The Pit, in Hallett Hall, with some of the football players, my allegiances began to turn. Add in listening to Coach Mac and his fire for the Buffs, and I was hooked. By the start of my sophomore year, I had gotten rid of any and all red clothing and was all in for the Buffs.

I have posted this in one of these why I am Buff threads before. During my senior year in high school our family took a trip to Colorado for vacation. I was living in a suburb of Portland but considered my home Virginia where I spent the first 13 years of my life. I had applied and been accepted to UVA and U of WA. I wanted to go home to VA and been accepted.

During the vacation to CO, we were on our way to Estes Park and Rocky National Park when we came up to the scenic overlook just before you enter Boulder on 36. This was in 1984 and I really knew nothing about CU.

At that overlook I asked my dad about the city I was looking at because I had never seen anything so beautiful. He said it was Boulder and the home of the Universitu of Colorado. I looked at that view and knew this is where I wanted to be. I found out the Business School was pretty good (it was top 20 I think at that point for state schools) and applied. Got accepted and decided I would become a Buff as a Frosh in the fall of 85. Little did I know the football team had been a disaster up to that point for a while. I was lucky enough to come into the greatest period of college football in CU history. Saw the original rise, the sadness of losing a player like Sal and losing a National championship to ND after an undefeated season.

I applied and was accepted to graduate school at CU and then saw my beloved Buffs win a MNC. I have had season tix since I was a freshman in 85 and am finally being rewarded with the Rise 30 years after the original Rise/Things Have Changed run. Just in time for my kids to be planning to go to college and all seem to be following that same path.

The Rise Is Real! #GoBuffs

I grew up in the pine forests of east Texas but was, for whatever reason, always in love with mountains and wilderness. By the time I hit middle school I planned on someday living in the Rockies. The summer after 8th grade, I hiked about 100 miles of the Colorado Trail. I told myself right then that someday I was going to live in Colorado.

That football season was 2001. My aunt and uncle (who lived in Colorado at the time) were watching a CU game while visiting family back in Texas, I started watching and was an instant Buff fan. I decided that not only was I going to live in Colorado, but I was going to attend CU. I was in the 9th grade. I wore CU gear the rest of my high school career.

When college came along, I ended up going to Baylor instead. I was 100% financially on my own as soon as I graduated high school, and I could work to afford the cost of living in Waco. I couldn't do that in Boulder. I ended up loving my time in Waco (yes, for reals), but I was still hungry for mountains. The day after college graduation I loaded up my truck and drove to Colorado. The plan was simple: after taking a year or two off to gain some financial stability, I was going to go to grad school at CU. And so I did - after one year off, I ended up getting accepted to my master's program at CU (genetics/ physiology).

Loved my time in Boulder. I hiked in Chautauqua nearly every weekend, then became a 14er junkie. I'd faced some real financial troubles for a while after moving and missed my family and friends, but then I eventually got accepted to CU and spent my weekends on the high peaks and finally, finally felt home.

While doing my master's, a brilliant, beautiful undergrad worked in our research lab. 5 years later, I married her.

After graduating, I worked as community college faculty for three years (loved it/ hope to do it again someday) before moving to California and taking a research job at Stanford, where my wife got accepted to med school. After a year of that I went to UC-Berkeley for my PhD. We both watch every Buffs game. Coming to town for the Utah game. And of course are going to buy tickets to the championship game out here should we actually make it.

So all of that to say, CU was simply the school I chose early in life. CU was the only school I really ever wanted to attend in high school, my time there during my master's completely changed my life, and it's back in Colorado - climbing mountains and cheering for the Buffs - where I feel truly at home. I can't wait until we can move back some day.

Last edited:
I grew up in the pine forests of east Texas but was, for whatever reason, always in love with mountains and wilderness. By the time I hit middle school I planned on someday living in the Rockies. The summer after 8th grade, I hiked about 100 miles of the Colorado Trail. I told myself right then that someday I was going to live in Colorado.

That football season was 2001. My aunt and uncle (who lived in Colorado at the time) were watching a CU game while visiting family back in Texas, I started watching and was an instant Buff fan. I decided that not only was I going to live in Colorado, but I was going to attend CU. I was in the 9th grade. I wore CU gear the rest of my high school career.

When college came along, I ended up going to Baylor instead. I was 100% financially on my own as soon as I graduated high school, and I could work to afford the cost of living in Waco. I couldn't do that in Boulder. I ended up loving my time in Waco (yes, for reals), but I was still hungry for mountains. The day after college graduation I loaded up my truck and drove to Colorado. The plan was simple: after taking a year or two off to gain some financial stability, I was going to go to grad school at CU. And so I did - after one year off, I ended up getting accepted to my master's program at CU (genetics/ physiology).

Loved my time in Boulder. I hiked in Chautauqua nearly every weekend, then became a 14er junkie. I'd faced some real financial troubles for a while after moving and missed my family and friends, but then I eventually got accepted to CU and spent my weekends on the high peaks and finally, finally felt home.

While doing my master's, a brilliant, beautiful undergrad worked in our research lab. 5 years later, I married her.

After graduating, I worked as community college faculty for three years (loved it/ hope to do it again someday) before moving to California and taking a research job at Stanford, where my wife got accepted to med school. After a year of that I went to UC-Berkeley for my PhD. We both watch every Buffs game. Coming to town for the Utah game. And of course are going to buy tickets to the championship game out here should be actually make it.

So all of that to say, CU was simply the school I chose early in life. CU was the only school I really ever wanted to attend in high school, my time three during my master's completely changed my life, and it's back in Colorado - climbing mountains and cheering for the Buffs - where I feel truly at home. I can't wait until we can move back some day.

If the choices for your screen name were NacadochesBuff, WacoBuff, PaloAltoBuff or BerkeleyBuff, then I guess you picked okay. Looking forward to more of your posts, mostly so the board can zero in on a better handle.
ColoradoTrailBuff sounds about right when you finish what you started.

If the choices for your screen name were NacadochesBuff, WacoBuff, PaloAltoBuff or BerkeleyBuff, then I guess you picked okay. Looking forward to more of your posts, mostly so the board can zero in on a better handle.
ColoradoTrailBuff sounds about right when you finish what you started.
Pretty good guess, but home was even smaller (Henderson).

short version.....my Dad was at the law school in the 70's. took me to my first Buff game....a 1976 W over Oklahoma. Bill Mallory's (split) Big 8 Champs...the very under-appreciated Tony Reed* ran the game winning TD up the C-O-L-O-R-A-D-O south end zone embankment.....and i'll never forget it.

went to Vandy out of HS and transferred back to CO....graduated from CC.
moved back Boulder, since i had the chance. worked on a farm out on Weld County road 5....for a couple years, hung out. paid the bills, somehow.
chose CU over a couple other places for grad school.
worked at CU from about 2001 to 2009-ish.
miss being on campus everyday but happy with the work i have now.
lived in Boulder 26 years now total, off/on.
probably get priced out one of these years....but been a helluva run.

*very good college running back.....1000 yard season for KC in the NFL.

Last edited:

Great story bro, yes Jesus saves from all red things of evil

Really started following the Buffs after CU beat Oregon this year on my 35th birthday.

or, I was recruited by running backs coach Oliver Lucas out of Winter Park, FL in 1987 and Bill McCartney convinced my mom that it would be a good idea for her son to travel 2/3 the way across the country to go to college. He was right. It was. I got there in 1988 and redshirted. It was good timing.
Funny how things work out sometimes.

After graduating, I worked as community college faculty for three years (loved it/ hope to do it again someday) before moving to California and taking a research job at Stanford, where my wife got accepted to med school. After a year of that I went to UC-Berkeley for my PhD. We both watch every Buffs game. Coming to town for the Utah game. And of course are going to buy tickets to the championship game out here should we actually make it.

So all of that to say, CU was simply the school I chose early in life. CU was the only school I really ever wanted to attend in high school, my time there during my master's completely changed my life, and it's back in Colorado - climbing mountains and cheering for the Buffs - where I feel truly at home. I can't wait until we can move back some day.
Mods change his handle to 'DoubleBearBuff' . Alternatively 'DoubeBareBuff'

Survived the Fairbanks era! Granted it was bringing "Buff Punch" in a bota bag into the stadium to help dull the pain.
Met my honey at Tulagis. Told our daughter that if she even remotely considered going to csu, we'd disown her! Now a proud Buff Alum, class of '14

Go Buffs!
Was reading this and thought it sounded familiar. Hi mom!

Why am I a Buff? Clearly my parents raised me right.

Born a Buff. Was taken to my first game in Folsom in '87 as a 7th grader. Only applied to CU. Love the school and the town. Went to nearly all the home games from '88 - 2000.

Diehard.

Long live the University of Colorado: Boulder.

Born, Raised and live in Omaha Nebraska. My mom went to Iowa State. My dad is born in Italy. My uncles moved to Boulder in the mid 80s. i was 5 when they took me to the first game. I fell in love with boulder and Ralphie. I started supporting them and wearing their gear and was picked on and kicked around by the "best fans in college football" this pushed me even further to the Buffs. Junior High and high school only got worse (mid to late 90s). Went to the football camps during highschool. Then i blew my knees out and couldnt play football and couldnt afford to attend CU. I could buy season tickets so in 2001 I started getting season tickets. I have had season tickets since. Even through the terrible years. I cant get to every game because i am not rich but make it to at least half every year. Fast forward to today. I am 36 have a husker wife and 2 kids. Both kids followed dad and are Buff fans. The youngest is 4 and says that the Huskers are for the girls.

I bleed black and gold.

First got to see Boulder back in 2001 on the way to summer work in Estes Park. Fast forward, 4 years later, I had dropped out of school, working dead jobs as a construction laborer, cursing at life. Decided to go back and finish my Engineering degree. Graduated in Summer of 2007 and got hired on the company that I am still working for.

CU gave me a second chance at a better life, however, I had to work for it.

Back