What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

1 week until camp starts

I just want to reiterate that I don't care how we win. I just want to win. No style points. No moral victories. Just win. Track meet or trench fight. Just win.
The only style points I care about are CSU and UNH. Other than that...just win! I just feel like if we don’t styalize CSU, our season turns into crap - 100% of the time.

Last edited:
Does this happen? I can't really remember seeing that.

I have seen several instances where him winning whatever DC award he won at Duke is brought up, despite it having really no relevance to his career at CU, especially after Leavitt bolted.

Which means he may be a pretty good HC and not really a defensive genius. Two separate issues.
I guess I'm just missing the posts where people have said that MM is a defensive genius and deserves slack due to DC awards. I don't see a whole lot of that.

I guess I'm just missing the posts where people have said that MM is a defensive genius and deserves slack due to DC awards. I don't see a whole lot of that.
I was one that suggested Mac knows what he's doing on defense (don't think I ever called him a genius, though), that Leavitt was implementing his scheme and philosophy, and that the transition to Eliot wouldn't be a huge deal. I'll admit, I didn't think we'd see as big of a falloff in production on the DL and even in the Secondary last year compared to 2016, and they definitely weren't as aggressive as the year prior, but I still maintain that MM knows his **** on that side of the ball. That's why this year is so pivotal for him to show that he can get the defense back to playing at a high level and that 2016 wasn't a major fluke.

I was one that suggested Mac knows what he's doing on defense (don't think I ever called him a genius, though), that Leavitt was implementing his scheme and philosophy, and that the transition to Eliot wouldn't be a huge deal. I'll admit, I didn't think we'd see as big of a falloff in production on the DL and even in the Secondary last year compared to 2016, and they definitely weren't as aggressive as the year prior, but I still maintain that MM knows his **** on that side of the ball. That's why this year is so pivotal for him to show that he can get the defense back to playing at a high level and that 2016 wasn't a major fluke.
I actually think we were more aggressive. We were in Cover 0 just about every play. Problem was that guys got blocked up front. If that doesn't change, it won't matter what Eliot calls.

I actually think we were more aggressive. We were in Cover 0 just about every play. Problem was that guys got blocked up front. If that doesn't change, it won't matter what Eliot calls.
I guess I'd have to see numbers on how many times we brought more than 4 rushers in 2017 vs 2016, as that is how I'm defining being aggressive, but maybe it's just the lack of talent and execution from a personnel standpoint that was shockingly different from year to year.

I guess I'd have to see numbers on how many times we brought more than 4 rushers in 2017 vs 2016, as that is how I'm defining being aggressive, but maybe it's just the lack of talent and execution from a personnel standpoint that was shockingly different from year to year.
Biggest losses, it seemed, were Gilbert and Tupou. No outside pressure in 2017 and, on the inside, Gamboa was constantly having to take false steps & redirect to cover extra gaps and avoid the wash.

We need our OLBs to bring the heat and for Javier to control his gap(s). If those things happen in 2018, I think this is probably a Top 50 defense.

Biggest losses, it seemed, were Gilbert and Tupou. No outside pressure in 2017 and, on the inside, Gamboa was constantly having to take false steps & redirect to cover extra gaps and avoid the wash.

We need our OLBs to bring the heat and for Javier to control his gap(s). If those things happen in 2018, I think this is probably a Top 50 defense.
I still maintain that there was an obvious drop off in pursuit, running to the ball, violent play inside, and effort (not talking about guys not trying hard...rather playing until the whistle blows) from 2016 to last year. Personally, I suspect that is due to coaching under the new DC, and affected the things your referencing more so than the change in personel. I am intruiged to see how these things are being coached this fall. It needs to be a daily emphasis....and JL was exceptional at instilling these habits.

Last edited:
Anyone have a quick link to the camp schedule?
giphy.gif

Here's the link... https://www.google.com/search?clien....0.1.73....0.tTeJ9eaNTcY#imgrc=2mKH8qPA2c8mnM:

Back