What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

1 week until camp starts

I know it’s a pencil Depth Chart but two observations:
Is KD Nixon struggling to impress or is he not as good as we all hoped?
Kyle Evans is listed atop RB, or is that 5 OR’s, meaning no clear cut guy?

We have 8 freshman, 3 sophomores, 1 junior and 3 seniors. I’ll admit I know nothing about what chiaverini thinks of Nixon but it’s fairly obvious (as of now) experience is going to get the nod here. Mac has earned his reps, Nixon will see the field though.

Oh I’m sure the coaches will get right to work on that 5* DT for next year...

Does switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3, mean we can recruit non-monsters on the DL?

Not only that, but realistically, who would fit as a DE in the 4-3? Lang, maybe Wells, and....

You guys are forgetting Callier.
At 6’2” 230, I don’t think he profiles as a 4-3 DE.

This conversation is stupid, though. They aren’t moving to a 4-3 simply because we can’t pull 4* and 5* NT/DE for the 3-4. It isn’t easier to recruit well to the 4-3, nor does that scheme lend the flexibility the 3-4 does.

At 6’2” 230, I don’t think he profiles as a 4-3 DE.

This conversation is stupid, though. They aren’t moving to a 4-3 simply because we can’t pull 4* and 5* NT/DE for the 3-4. It isn’t easier to recruit well to the 4-3, not does that scheme lend the flexibility the 3-4 does.
That's with him cutting weight to play OLB, though. He's built just fine for the weakside DE in a 3-4.

OT: didn't have a place to put this, but Netflix has a new season of Last Chance University on and it's very entertaining football stuff. this time its Independence CC in Kansas, w/ a coach from Compton and a lot of bad boys.

The key to the season is whether Montez can keep his poise. Has all the talent, but too often got flustered,

I would love to see CU incorporate a wrinkle like this. We have enough speed on the outside, the TE/H-Back position could hit 20 receptions for the season on this play alone.

OT: didn't have a place to put this, but Netflix has a new season of Last Chance University on and it's very entertaining football stuff. this time its Independence CC in Kansas, w/ a coach from Compton and a lot of bad boys.

The key to the season is whether Montez can keep his poise. Has all the talent, but too often got flustered,

Yeah, delrick Abrams is on there too! That coach is a psycho.

What week of the season will it be appropriate to start a "Fire Eliot" thread?
CU doesn't face an offense in the first 5 weeks (CSU, NU, NH, UCLA, ASU) that should be anything special. If the defense is giving up 20-30+ pts/game through those first 5, I would say there is a serious problem with the coordination. I'm willing to chalk up last year's defense to multiple new coaches and personnel limitations, but I think the two deep at every defensive position this year should be good enough to be an upper half of the conference unit, so if they are struggling against those five teams, I'll place the blame on Eliot and MM.

CU doesn't face an offense in the first 5 weeks (CSU, NU, NH, UCLA, ASU) that should be anything special. If the defense is giving up 20-30+ pts/game through those first 5, I would say there is a serious problem with the coordination. I'm willing to chalk up last year's defense to multiple new coaches and personnel limitations, but I think the two deep at every defensive position this year should be good enough to be an upper half of the conference unit, so if they are struggling against those five teams, I'll place the blame on Eliot and MM.
Unless the offense is averaging over 50 points, in which case that would be damn good defense. :ROFLMAO: (I'm laughing because of how much I know most CU fans would hate that despite 62-36 being their favorite game score ever.)

If the defense is still bad in 2018, maybe people will finally stop mentioning MM's DC background as some kind of trump card when he is criticized.

Unless the offense is averaging over 50 points, in which case that would be damn good defense. :ROFLMAO: (I'm laughing because of how much I know most CU fans would hate that despite 62-36 being their favorite game score ever.)
There was a stretch in the second and third quarters where NU outscored us 28-7 in that game. If they don't fumble on the goal line, that game could have been very different.

That said, 62-36 bitches!

Yes, obviously there will need to be context applied when looking at this. If CU hangs 50+ on CSU and gives up 24-30 with some of that coming in garbage time, I'll be satisfied. Same with NH. I don't know what to expect from Nebraska's offense this year, but I can't imagine it's going to be dominating in week two. OOC should be a nice warm up for the defense to find it's identity. Hopefully.
If the defense is still bad in 2018, maybe people will finally stop mentioning MM's DC background as some kind of trump card when he is criticized.
Agreed. There's a lot for MM to prove in 2018. Not only with the defense getting back on track to being a respectable unit, but obviously proving that 2016 was not a fluke and he truly has this ship heading in the right direction.

We are into year 6 now. Excuses ring hollow at this point, he has had enough time to rebuild what was a terrible situation.

At some point we have to start seeing results on the scoreboard, that point is getting very near.

Back