What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'11 CA QB Nick Sherry (Signed to UNLV)

Wish the kid a shot at a BCS school (just not the Pac12). Hopefully he didn't screw himself out of a BCS offer by staying with us.

That's why I don't get pissed off when a kid decommits as well. It goes both ways.

My guess is that Sherry will get some solid offers.

He blew up his senior year and played very well. Has some physical tools and seems to learn fast. Prototype QB potential.

The one thing schools don't want to be without is QBs, as the big name guys fall off the board Nick should get some real looks from schools that thought they had somebody else and lost them meaning they need a QB in the class.

Good luck to him. This is the part of the game that sucks, but with a limited pool of schollies and different priorities for the new staff, it's understandable, I guess...

Good luck to him. This is the part of the game that sucks, but with a limited pool of schollies and different priorities for the new staff, it's understandable, I guess...

And in the long run probably better for him. If he isn't the type of QB that the staff wants or they don't see him fitting what they want to do he isn't going to get a fair shot at contributing anyways. This way he has a better chance to go someplace where he is wanted and a better fit for what they are doing.

He seems like a really good kid, he will land on his feet and make the best of it.

And in the long run probably better for him. If he isn't the type of QB that the staff wants or they don't see him fitting what they want to do he isn't going to get a fair shot at contributing anyways. This way he has a better chance to go someplace where he is wanted and a better fit for what they are doing.

He seems like a really good kid, he will land on his feet and make the best of it.

Good point. No need for him to get stuck in a situation that isn't right for him as a player. Hope he finds the right fit...

What was preventing this kid from paying his own way and then walking on and trying to earn a scholarship that way?

Bohn should have followed Hawkins out the door. Can't blame Embree in this situation, Sherry didn't fit his system, it would be a disservice to Nick if he had honored the scholarship. Because Nick would not have had a chance to play.

But Nick is a Pro-style quarterback right?

But Nick is a Pro-style quarterback right?

Embree aparently is not a fan, it was wrong for Bohn to guarantee the scholarship before hiring a new coach. You can't blame Embree, he has to recruit the guys he want and he feels comfortable with.

No problem with the why - that's Embree's choice. More the how - the kid (any kid) deserved more than 48 seconds...

Exactly what was mentioned in the article - why is the scholarship no longer going to be honored. It was obviously Embree's decision, but when you've been sitting on an offer that long, you deserve an explanation.

There's levels of ****tiness in recruiting, and this situations sounds like it's somewhere in the middle. The honorable thing to do would have been to be honest with Nick back in November/December and said, "it will be up to the new coach whether you have a spot here." However, on the other end of the spectrum, CU could have done what all the SEC schools do and just oversign, oversign, oversign, and then cut Nick loose after the fact.

However, just because other teams are ****tier does not excuse what Bohn did, if that's actually what happened. That's still ****ty.

There's levels of ****tiness in recruiting, and this situations sounds like it's somewhere in the middle. The honorable thing to do would have been to be honest with Nick back in November/December and said, "it will be up to the new coach whether you have a spot here." However, on the other end of the spectrum, CU could have done what all the SEC schools do and just oversign, oversign, oversign, and then cut Nick loose after the fact.

However, just because other teams are ****tier does not excuse what Bohn did, if that's actually what happened. That's still ****ty.

And also, best wishes to Leilon at UCF.

Exactly what was mentioned in the article - why is the scholarship no longer going to be honored. It was obviously Embree's decision, but when you've been sitting on an offer that long, you deserve an explanation.

I don't like the idea of pulling scholarships like this but at the same time what is Embree going to tell him? Should we expect Embree to spend an hour breaking down film of the guy over the phone or blast his mechanics, decision making, and football acumen? Its an uncomfortable situation for everyone involved and I would actually be surprised if Sherry wanted to spend an extended period of time on the phone with the coach that just "cut" him? Its just unfortunate. I think saying the staff decided to go in a different direction and wishing him luck is really all anyone can ask for or expect.

I wish Nick teh ebst of luck at UNLV.

Meant for the Nick Sherry thread...

I don't like the idea of pulling scholarships like this but at the same time what is Embree going to tell him? Should we expect Embree to spend an hour breaking down film of the guy over the phone or blast his mechanics, decision making, and football acumen? Its an uncomfortable situation for everyone involved and I would actually be surprised if Sherry wanted to spend an extended period of time on the phone with the coach that just "cut" him? Its just unfortunate. I think saying the staff decided to go in a different direction and wishing him luck is really all anyone can ask for or expect.

I wish Nick teh ebst of luck at UNLV.

Did you read the article? It says they got no explanation. That is all.

Did you read the article? It says they got no explanation. That is all.

When your scholarship is pulled the explanation is pretty clear no? The coaches don't think you can help the team...

I guess I just don't see what the benefit of a detailed explanation trashing the kids game would have been? Nick was on the phone and if he wanted to ask specific questions I'm sure they would have been answered. The real error here was Bohn suggesting that the scholarship was guaranteed and then skirting the father's calls. He should have manned up and apologized.

Last edited:
And also, best wishes to Leilon at UCF.

Walrus.... what is wispy talking about here? I can't go back 39 pages and read it all... I thought this was a thread about LW and now I am reading about a Nick and ****ty recruiting practices at CU.....help?

Walrus.... what is wispy talking about here? I can't go back 39 pages and read it all... I thought this was a thread about LW and now I am reading about a Nick and ****ty recruiting practices at CU.....help?

My fault. I moved wispy´s post as I thought he posted it in the wrong thread and forgot to move Wally´s post also.

My fault. I moved wispy´s post as I thought he posted it in the wrong thread and forgot to move Wally´s post also.

Is english your second language??? :laugh:

Thanks for the explanation... I just read these 6 pages... now I know what happened...

Thanks Jens...

What was preventing this kid from paying his own way and then walking on and trying to earn a scholarship that way?

You can't just walk on, you must be invited to do so. Although theoretically, nothing would prevent that.

Back