What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'11 CA WR Michael Thomas

Not sure this adds anything, but two small papers have recent mentions. This article says he was named league offensive player of the year (3rd paragraph from bottom) and this one that he is still undecided (6th paragraph from bottom).

How do you mean, what's the history?

archived Will Jeff thread here

We heard about him here (at Allbuffs) first on Aug. 1, 2009. By 8 p.m. on Aug. 2, he had committed to CU.
He had transferred schools in his senior year, and there was some delayed ncaa paperwork problem that made schools think he would not qualify, but he did.
It was NOT grades, it was a problem caused by transferring his senior year that his transcripts weren't in order for NCAA to review.

"Jefferson said he already has been cleared by the NCAA and admitted to CU. He said that was part of the wait this summer. CU coaches didn't want to bring him into the program unless they knew he would be qualified."

Many, many times this type of story does not turn out in favor of the recruit, so schools assume it's not worth their time to pursue a kid who doesn't have paperwork in order and NCAA clearance. But really they can fall through the cracks.

And Michael Thomas could be another one.

archived Will Jeff thread here

We heard about him here (at Allbuffs) first on Aug. 1, 2009. By 8 p.m. on Aug. 2, he had committed to CU.
He had transferred schools in his senior year, and there was some delayed ncaa paperwork problem that made schools think he would not qualify, but he did.
It was NOT grades, it was a problem caused by transferring his senior year that his transcripts weren't in order for NCAA to review.

Many, many times this type of story does not turn out in favor of the recruit, so schools assume it's not worth their time to pursue a kid who doesn't have paperwork in order and NCAA clearance. But really they can fall through the cracks.

And Michael Thomas could be another one.

Was Will Jeff a 4*?

Was Will Jeff a 4*?

No, he was not four-star. In fact Scout and Rivals never ranked him - but they don't always bother when they think a kid isn't going to play at the next level. But they said this:
First team All-Inland Valley League as a senior at wide receiver. He amassed approximately 2,400 all-purpose yards as a wide receiver, running back and kick returner during his second season. He played in the Southern California Fiesta Bowl following his senior year. Complications with his academic records led to him being lightly recruited. He is a full qualifier.​

No, he was not four-star. In fact Scout and Rivals never ranked him - but they don't always bother when they think a kid isn't going to play at the next level. But they said this:
First team All-Inland Valley League as a senior at wide receiver. He amassed approximately 2,400 all-purpose yards as a wide receiver, running back and kick returner during his second season. He played in the Southern California Fiesta Bowl following his senior year. Complications with his academic records led to him being lightly recruited. He is a full qualifier.​

Right. But this guy is a 4*. So I think the under-the-radar thing is not a valid comparison.

Was Will Jeff a 4*?

No, but if they use his talents right he may end up playing like one.

Michael Thomas could end up as a real find for us. When a team is fighting four years of bad results on the field including a series of embarrassing losses on national TV top prospects aren't going to drop out of trees and say sign me up. The new coaching staff has to work their butts off (this part is happening) and find some gems hidden among the left overs. Maybe Thomas is one of those, if we can get a four star talent at this point it won't hurt and it may be an opportunity for him to show all the schools that ignored him and said he wasn't worth the effort.

Right. But this guy is a 4*. So I think the under-the-radar thing is not a valid comparison.

Correct, not a perfect match. My point was only that we had experienced previously a player who was rumored to not be a qualifier who was. He turned out pretty good for us, if not a four-star. Oh, hell, it was so long ago that I was trying to make the point, I don't really remember anymore what it was. Something along those lines.

I just get annoyed when people with ZERO leads on it and no insight start saying "it's probably grades" ... or we'd take him "if by some miracle he passes admissions." If there is no evidence of this, the speculation is rude and not very welcoming to a recruit. Better to let it all play out sometimes, instead of predict the worst and then have to eat your words.

/soapbxo

I love you, AJ.
imgres

Last edited:
For those of you "sure" its grades, I did find an early recruiting interview on him on Scout where Thomas says he has a 3.2 gpa and strong core classes...how accurate that is now since it was from junior camp season who knows, but lets not jump to conclusions on the kid. Sounds like he transferred schools and had to sit out at least a portion of his junior year which would have also kept him under the radar.

Last edited:
For those of you "sure" its grades, I did find an early recruiting interview on him on Rivals where Thomas says he has a 3.2 gpa and strong core classes...how accurate that is now since it was from junior camp season who knows, but lets not jump to conclusions on the kid. Sounds like he transferred schools and had to sit out at least a portion of his junior year which would have also kept him under the radar.

Well, to clarify for those who didn't pick up on my weak attempt at humor, I'm not sure on anything in this matter. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and will not hold any reserved judgement.

Last edited:
Would love to have this guy. Is he our Licuen backupm since Lucien didn't pick CU?

Would love to have this guy. Is he our Licuen backupm since Lucien didn't pick CU?

I think he'd be welcome in the class with or without Lucien. His credentials make him much more than a backup.

Doubt it, I'm sure he was in the mix just as much as Lucien was. In relation to what was just mentioned above, Lucien was able to get through the clearing house before Thomas, hence commit to a school before Thomas could.

Does anyone actually know that our staff is interested in him or is this just the allbuffs speculation mill at work.

Does anyone actually know that our staff is interested in him or is this just the allbuffs speculation mill at work.

We believe there is interest, and are working on a confirmation that he is taking an official visit (very soon.) CU was checking to be sure there were no academic or clearinghouse issues, when that's firmed up, he may visit us. There is mutual interest.

And another update from Rivals addresses why he is still available:
One of the lesser known prospects participating in the Under Armour All-American Game is Woodland Hills (Calif.) Taft wide receiver Michael Thomas. Part of the reason for his anonymity is that he had to sit out his junior season due to CIF transfer rules. When he was able to hit the field as a senior, the 6-foot-3, 180-pound wide receiver made the most of his final year of eligibility.​

Back