What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 CA QB Shane Dillon (Signed to COLORADO)

Great news!

That list is just a reminder that even the highest rated recruits don't all turn out. Seems like the elite 11 guys were about 50% hit and miss.

I believe when Cody was in it they just invited 11 guys in to compete. Now they go broader and compete to get the final 11. Cody got an invite but he was not close to ever being recruited as a top11 guy. Quite possibly was even a late addition (hey Cody, throw your shoes on we had a no-show). Still a great kid who ALWAYS gave CU 100%.

Congrats Shane! That's awesome! Can't wait to see you in the black and gold.

BTW: You can start calling your OL friends now right? RIGHT!?!?!

I believe when Cody was in it they just invited 11 guys in to compete. Now they go broader and compete to get the final 11. Cody got an invite but he was not close to ever being recruited as a top11 guy. Quite possibly was even a late addition (hey Cody, throw your shoes on we had a no-show). Still a great kid who ALWAYS gave CU 100%.
:nod:

Interesting to see the fan tides turn when some of the expected QBs didn't make the list......... it's not looking pretty in Austin... as I read

its a subscription site......... but I think UT is in a panic because of last year's performance. Their 2012 QB pick they loved him before this competition.....and some are still supportive but some have really gone hard on the kid because he didn't make the Elite 11. Didn't hear anything of the concerns about him before this. It's kinda rough to see....... he has a whole year to develop. And like someone said camps and combines are truly measuring sticks. I can't lie....i was very excited to see Shane place but I know there are times when you just have a bad day too.

Or I guess it was his inconsistency in the beginning of the camp that did him in.

Thanks for the info. Ya, its very nice to see shane place. All those wideouts he's gonna get to throw to are gonna have fun :wink2:

EXACTLY! His height and arm are gonna be huge. Was a big deciding factor. Jeff's first QB in his select league had a great arm and was tall (back when they were 7 and 8) and it made a difference then. CU has a real gem in Shane........you guys just don't know, yet. LOL

Nice to see the props rolling in for our future buffs. Even better to see these guys outperforming expectations - lets hope it becomes a habit!

Cody was an elite 11 and based on his HS success a pretty legit one. The problem for Cody was he really didn't improve much in college. He was already smallish at the time of the elite 11 and never grew after. There was also some speculation that Cody got selected for elite 11 status partly because of his last name. At the time DH was still a hot name in coaching.

What is exciting about Dillon getting named to elite 11 status is that he already has legit height and has the frame to build up to a solid QB size. At the same time he made big steps forward skillwise as a jr. and if he continues to develop his QB skills could be a difference maker. Rip Scherer has a lot of experience coaching QBs at the NFL level and it will be interesting to see what he can do with Dillon's talents.

What I really liked seeing was him winning that jersey for the best film work, that really adds to the total package.

Congrats to Shane!

I think this should finally silence the questions on whether he's truly a "blue chip" quarterback. He's one of the 11 best high school senior quarterbacks in the nation right now and from all reports, he's got some of the most upside among all of them. Some guys are more polished right now, but it could be that we're getting Sam Bradford (a Rivals 3*-5.7 out of high school) while what programs are getting with the higher rated guys is more Jimmy Clausen.

The best things about making the finals is that Shane will get some more great coaching and experience from this thing and also that it's a great message for the recruiting trail -- "We have one of the Elite 11 quarterbacks committed to your class".

:woot:

:gobuffs:

Politics

Cody was an elite 11 and based on his HS success a pretty legit one. The problem for Cody was he really didn't improve much in college. He was already smallish at the time of the elite 11 and never grew after. There was also some speculation that Cody got selected for elite 11 status partly because of his last name. At the time DH was still a hot name in coaching.

What is exciting about Dillon getting named to elite 11 status is that he already has legit height and has the frame to build up to a solid QB size. At the same time he made big steps forward skillwise as a jr. and if he continues to develop his QB skills could be a difference maker. Rip Scherer has a lot of experience coaching QBs at the NFL level and it will be interesting to see what he can do with Dillon's talents.

Cody was never a legit elite 11 qb by any stretch of the imagination. Didn't you learn anything the last 4 years. If you think he was legit, I have a bridge for you in Brooklyn.

Politics my friend, politics.

Cody was never a legit elite 11 qb by any stretch of the imagination. Didn't you learn anything the last 4 years. If you think he was legit, I have a bridge for you in Brooklyn.

Politics my friend, politics.

Time showed you were right but coming out of high school Cody was included in that group. A big part of it was his dad and his connections but as a HS QB he was dominant winning something like 56 straight games and putting up ridiculous stats in the process. Some of that was due to him being an a team that had a lot of talent and also playing in a state that didn't have real strong competition but in HS he got the job done. Coming out of HS you could make a legitimate argument that he was one of the better HS QBs in the country. Had he been 6'1" instead of 5'10" (maybe) coming out of school he would have been recruited by virtually everybody.

Cody had three major problems at CU. One was that he never grew, he was Rudy, they guy who wanted to play but just never developed physically to a D1 college level. Second was that he, like so many other players, never developed as a player under his dad. He was credited with working hard in the film room and being a student of the game but he was making the same bad reads and the same mistakes as a senior as he made when was a redshirt frosh. He also never lost his tendancy to panic under pressure or when things broke down around him, something you expect a guy with four years of playing time to learn to deal with. The third problem was the team his dad put around him made success an almost impossibility. The failure to get plays called on time, the tipping off of the defense as to what would be run, the inconsistency of the players around him because of the attrition and the stupid player groupings.

Lots of guys are pretty highly rated coming out of high school and never become great college players at a lot of positions including Cody, he was one of those.

Back