What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 CA RB Davien Payne (Signed to Colorado)

TD never got caught from behind. He didn't break many long runs his first couple years in the league. His stats were sneaky though, 4 yards, 8 yards, 5 yards, 11 yards, 7 yards, 4 yards, etc. Before you knew it, he was at 100 yards before halftime. The guy had incredible vision, and cutback ability. Not only that, he hardly ever lost yards. He's get stopped at the LOS and fall forward and still get a 3-4 yard gain.

Taking TD out of the equation, Denver had lots of 4.6 speed backs. TD, Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson, Reuben Drougns just to name a few. It wasn't until Shanahan drafted Portis that they had a true HR type back who could take it 80 yards each play.

Payne reminds me a little more of the finesse big backs we've seen from time to time. I don't think he's ultra powerful, but his size allows him to run through some arm tackles and things. Ron Dayne was like that and I would be completely fine with a Ron Dayne type of back.

I'd be more than fine with another Heisman. :smile2:

TD got caught a lot from behind in the 12-20 yard range downfield. He probably had more of those intermediate runs than any back I can remeber. Once he got out in the open he didn't have blazing speed but he had a knack for making pursuers miss so a lot of his long runs included someone trying to get him downfield and missing.

Not in any way trying to say that Payne or any other recruit is another TD. What I am saying is that an ability to get past the LOS, to run through an arm and/or to bounce off bodies and to push through smaller holes can be much more effective that a guy who is a blazer but goes down on the first contact or who won't blow through the tough holes. Payne looks like a guy who is willing and able to take what is there.

I'm not sure if you guys quite caught what I was trying to get at earlier. I wasn't talking about Payne, I was more so talking about adding a speed guy to compliment him. I have no doubt 4.6 is quite sufficient for a back like Payne.

It's not just that I want a RB who has 4.4 speed to break big runs, but they'd be nice to have on all of those screen plays we run, easy swing passes out of the backfield, possibly a kick returner, not to mention being a change of pace back.

I'm not sure if you guys quite caught what I was trying to get at earlier. I wasn't talking about Payne, I was more so talking about adding a speed guy to compliment him. I have no doubt 4.6 is quite sufficient for a back like Payne.

It's not just that I want a RB who has 4.4 speed to break big runs, but they'd be nice to have on all of those screen plays we run, easy swing passes out of the backfield, possibly a kick returner, not to mention being a change of pace back.

Doesn't T Jones have 4.4 speed?

Doesn't T Jones have 4.4 speed?

Maybe downhill.

I think that I saw that reported, too. But he's no better than a 4.5 guy. Fast enough to outrun a linebacker, but not fast enough to just blow past one.

I am starting to get concerned about this one. IF Chris Peterson takes the job at UCLA would Davien switch to UCLA? He has said many times that Boise was his dream school. Boise is Peterson, two years without him and that team is back to where it came from.

I am starting to get concerned about this one. IF Chris Peterson takes the job at UCLA would Davien switch to UCLA? He has said many times that Boise was his dream school. Boise is Peterson, two years without him and that team is back to where it came from.

Rumors of Ken Norton Jr. ending up with the UCLA job.

fwiw...my daughter was a Boise St athletic trainer for two years and knows Peterson fairly well. Not that she's an expert about what he might or might not do, but she has told me more than once he has no intentions of ever leaving BSU. He loves it there, his family loves it there and in her words, "the money and prestige of a bigger school doesn't mean much to him". He prefers the quality of life they have in Boise. Plus, as it looks like BSU will go to the Big East he'll be in an AQ school next year so that lure goes away as well.

Yeah, I get the feeling UCLA won't be able to pull Petersen. I also get the feeling UCLA is going to suck at football for a long, long time.

Davien Payne had a nice little write-up in leadup to the Cal-State All-Star game. They say he plays runs a bit more like a fullback. I guess if Powell doesn't commit, Payne could be a running FB and Brown (wishful thinking I know) at RB? If he was a FB I assume we would get him the ball a handfull of times on runs and passes.

http://247sports.com/Article/Cal-State-Game-Wednesday-Top-5-54047

I don't normally talk about switching recruits positions but this is a more subtle switch than moving a WR to DB, etc. However, I don't think we recruited him as FB and I'd luck us to at least have a change of pace type RB luck him anyway.

Davien Payne had a nice little write-up in leadup to the Cal-State All-Star game. They say he plays runs a bit more like a fullback. I guess if Powell doesn't commit, Payne could be a running FB and Brown (wishful thinking I know) at RB? If he was a FB I assume we would get him the ball a handfull of times on runs and passes.

http://247sports.com/Article/Cal-State-Game-Wednesday-Top-5-54047

I don't normally talk about switching recruits positions but this is a more subtle switch than moving a WR to DB, etc. However, I don't think we recruited him as FB and I'd luck us to at least have a change of pace type RB luck him anyway.

I think that's more of a fantasy than a wish at this point in time.

Watching Boise State blow out ASU I think Davien will do just fine as a pure RB in the Pac 12. Payne reminds me of D. Martin from BSU and Martin is running all over ASU.

What kind of fantasy is that? Payne is rated as the #20 RB in the nation by 247. he is fast (4.5s) and he has great moves and cut back ability. Moving him to fullback is not a brilliant move... to say the least.

The article about Payne was tongue-in-cheek while admiring his strength and toughness. If you have a running back this good, there is much less need for a fullback anyway.

There is no reason to take things too literally.

What kind of fantasy is that? Payne is rated as the #20 RB in the nation by 247. he is fast (4.5s) and he has great moves and cut back ability. Moving him to fullback is not a brilliant move... to say the least.

The article about Payne was tongue-in-cheek while admiring his strength and toughness. If you have a running back this good, there is much less need for a fullback anyway.

There is no reason to take things too literally.

:nod:

He's a power back, not a fullback. This is silliness.

:nod:

He's a power back, not a fullback. This is silliness.

^^This^^

He is a bigger, stronger guy than we have had around here for a while. I love the idea of having a back that can push a pile and punish tacklers while still running by some guys.

What a guy like Payne does give you though is the option of having a guy who can show tailback skills but also give you certain advantages that a fullback gives. He should be big enough to be more effective at picking up blitzers in the passing game, he also should give a more effective option in short yardage.

If anyone can evaluate talent and use it to it's full effect at RB then EB should be that guy.

This kid will be a bruiser and he's got some moves. It will be nice to give other teams defense a speed and bruiser in the backfield.

I'm looking forward to seeing a lot of kids play for our BUFFS. I think the staff is in some decent talent, all things considered.

I'm looking forward to seeing a lot of kids play for our BUFFS. I think the staff is in some decent talent, all things considered.

Well, Embree's wife is fairly attractive. Not sure about the rest of the staff, though.

Well, Embree's wife is fairly attractive. Not sure about the rest of the staff, though.
Id leave Embree's wife alone if I were u, I dont think he'd hesitate to rough ya up lol jk. He's just a no bs guy, strikes me that way anyway, love that about him.

Id leave Embree's wife alone if I were u, I dont think he'd hesitate to rough ya up lol jk. He's just a no bs guy, strikes me that way anyway, love that about him.

I agree, but all I said was that Embo was "in some decent talent." I don't think he would take offense.

4b2008ca-aeb6-8dce.jpg

Back