What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 CA RB Davien Payne (Signed to Colorado)

Guessing that third and one won't be much of a problem for us in the future.

318038_400715246640661_820800738_n.jpg

That's a pretty historical number around here. I'm actually kind of surprised it hasn't been retired.

Not sure how I feel. It is tough to retire #s in college football because you have so many players on the team, but 19 is a biggie.

Not sure how I feel. It is tough to retire #s in college football because you have so many players on the team, but 19 is a biggie.

You don't need to retire the number just save it for special players like Meatchicken does with the #1.

A former University of Colorado running back who was kicked off the team this summer was arrested over the weekend in Boulder after witnesses say he stole a car, punched the vehicle owner's friend repeatedly and then hurt an officer trying to arrest him, according to a police report.

Davien Albert Payne, 20, was arrested on suspicion of two counts of second-degree assault, aggravated motor vehicle theft, resisting arrest, obstructing a police officer and third-degree trespassing early Saturday morning.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_23893433/boulder-police-former-cu-buffs-running-back-stole

This is sad.

I'm quickly getting to the point, though, where I feel bad for his victims without feeling bad for Davien. He has had the deck stacked against him in life, but he also had opportunities and support that few people get.

Glad he's off the team.

We only know what is being reported but sadly the charges look serious enough that if they stick in anything resembling what we are seeing here he will have not only burned his bridges at CU but also ruined much chance to start over again elsewhere, even at a lower level school.

Hate to see a kid make the kind of mistakes that will negatively follow him the rest of his life. He has had tremendous opportunities and with his talent still had opportunities that others can only dream of prior to this incident.

Au Contraire - under the right circumstances somebody would give him another chance. For the non-believers I give you the recent example of Kenny Turner: shot not one person but two yet he was still given a chance to play D1 Football on full scholarship. After playing one year at New Mexico State, he declared himself eligible of the draft last year with one year eligibility. [In July of 2002, a 16-year-old Turner shot and wounded two individuals outside of an Orlando, Fla., gas station following a heated verbal altercation. He was sentenced to five years in prison after being tried as an adult, and was subsequently released in June of 2007]http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...he-draft-leading-rusher-leaving-nmsu-for-nfl/

Last edited:
Au Contraire - under the right circumstances somebody would give him another chance. For the non-believers I give you the recent example of Kenny Turner: shot not one person but two yet he was still given a chance to play D1 Football on full scholarship. After playing one year at New Mexico State, he declared himself eligible of the draft last year with one year eligibility.
[In July of 2002, a 16-year-old Turner shot and wounded two individuals outside of an Orlando, Fla., gas station following a heated verbal altercation. He was sentenced to five years in prison after being tried as an adult, and was subsequently released in June of 2007./QUOTE]http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...he-draft-leading-rusher-leaving-nmsu-for-nfl/

Little different when you do something as a juvenile, even if tried and sentenced as an adult.

Payne started his eligibility clock last year. Even if he is out on bail he won't be allowed to leave the area and I doubt he will have many opportunities locally with this hanging over his head. Greeley likely wouldn't take him and the D2 schools are all further away than a judge might want to let him go. Unless he reaches a plea deal the court actions will likely draw out for almost a year or even more. He could then be sentenced to some jail time taking up another season followed by at least a year or two of closely monitored supervision.

I have no idea how it would actually play out but the above scenario would leave someone with one or two years to play, a felony record, and who has been out of football for 3 years (coming of an injury as well.) He is almost a guaranteed hit to your APR because he will be way to far from graduation to reach it in the time he has left on scholly.

He looked like a good prospect coming in last year but I didn't see much to indicate that he was a pro prospect. His real opportunity with football was to finish a college degree and set himself up for future employment. Now he is much more unlikely to get that degree and to have an ugly conviction on his record.

Not to mention that you must be making adequate academic progress to play anywhere, which he wasn't. If he changed his life today, it would require starting over at a Juco. If he misses this Fall, that's two years gone and he'd have a 3rd year to still do a Juco year, but he'd have to be on pace to graduate, so he'd better get into a JUCO fast.

Wow, he messed the guy up pretty badly.

This last move proved to be a painful one for Tippetts. He says Payne started punching him in the vicinity of his face and neck, and didn't stop until he'd broken Tippetts's larnyx. He tells 7News his throat is being held together by four titanium plates and eight screws.

Back