What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 CO OT Paul Thurston (Signed to Nebraska)

I'm with you. I'd love to have them. But we'll win with them or without them. I won't lose any sleep over it as long as I see talent coming in.

I agree with this, however, I don't really see equal level talent coming in to replace Thurston. The dude is a beast, and we have whiffed pretty hard so far on legit tackle prospects. By my count, the next best ones we could get are Edinburgh and Cyburt. Cyburt I feel good about, but I can't say I'm going to feel good about any kid from LA with an offer in hand from LSU.

I'm pretty sure we'll lure 1 or 2 of these in states kids to decommit and commit to us before NSD, though. Still, sucks that we couldn't clean up on a strong in state class this year.

I'm with you. I'd love to have them. But we'll win with them or without them. I won't lose any sleep over it as long as I see talent coming in.

At what point does it start to matter though? We are getting boat raced in state, in a strong year for prospects no less. This staff has to start winning some recruiting battles against relevant schools or we are going to be talking the same talk two years from now.

At what point does it start to matter though? We are getting boat raced in state, in a strong year for prospects no less. This staff has to start winning some recruiting battles against relevant schools or we are going to be talking the same talk two years from now.

It matters. I'm disappointed.

I've said before that I think the foundation at CU should be securing the top two in-state OLs every year.

I'm just not someone who is going to pine after someone we didn't get. Obviously hope we flip Thurston and Callahan, though.

I will not jump off a cliff or anything, but this is a critical year for OL recruiting. Right now, it is looking like we might land some of the following players: Travis Averill, Colby Cyburt, Walker Williams, Jordan Williams, Jeromy Irwin, and Austin Maass.

Maybe it is time to wonder aloud if Marshall can actually recruit elite OL talent. All he has done for the last decade is jump from job to job. He did not recruit the major pieces that were part of the 2001 dominant line. He really only recruited one season at Cal and landed a really good OT in Alex Crosthwaite to go with two mid-range players. Solid, but nothing spectacular.

That's great to point out. I think it's hard to gage what Marshall will bring the table in terms of recruiting but from what's been reported, it sounds like the players who have commented on him have nice things to say. Not really a ringing endorsement, just what i've seen. Ultimately the proof is in the pudding. Players are not going to start buying in until certain questions are answered... in reality, all these local players have in terms of thoughts towards CU football is five years of incoherent, bumbling, stupidity with a ralphie logo slapped on the side of it. Thank Dan Hawkins for that. Now Embree has to pull some good recruits at home, show off his system on O/D, compete, and win games. Right now players are hearing coach-speak from him, but are getting it from everywhere else as well. They need to be showed what we're going to do, not told. Seeing is believing. Rest assured, this is being used against us in recruiting as Embree and EB haven't proven anything as coaches in their respective roles they were just awarded. I think once the in-state guys, especially the linemen, start seeing how good this rushing offense looks, they will get excited about the prospect of being a part of it. Once Stewart breaks off 1400-1500 k in this offense, HB's will additionally want to sign to be the focal piece of EB's offense. If Paul Richardson and Ryan Deehan can place on the all-conference teams with strong seasons, TE and WR recruits will want to be a part of it of this offense.

We're not even 6 mos. into the regime change and some fans are pulling out calling the coaches busts. This story can totally be different come November when we're getting visits and all that. Guys that have committed, haven't signed their LOI therefore they are still in play. CU has annually been passed up by the state's best players 1-2 best players outside of Miller and Major from what I can recall over the past 10 years. The only difference this year is that there is 5-6 of those quality players vs. 1-2, so the pain feels worse. It's not over yet though. Signing day isn't until February. We all gave up on Marc Mustoe and it took the coaching staff something like 2 weeks to flip him after he verballed to UCLA. A recruits priorities will change. Coaches will move on. CU has to remain constant, stay on these guys, and win sooner vs. later. The tough burden to bare is that the damage done over the past 5-8 years won't be fixed in one season and it isn't so much recruiting but repairing the image. This is a long term project.

Last edited:
That's great to point out. I think it's hard to gage what Marshall will bring the table in terms of recruiting but from what's been reported, it sounds like the players who have commented on him have nice things to say. Not really a ringing endorsement, just what i've seen. Ultimately the proof is in the pudding. Players are going to start buying in until questions are answered... all these players have is five years of incoherent bumbling stupidity with a ralphie logo slapped on the side of it. Thank Dan Hawkins for that. Now Embree has to pull in some good recruits at home, show off their systems, compete and win games. Right now players just are hearing coach-speak and they are getting it from everywhere. They need to be showed, not told as seeing is believing. I think once the in-state guys especially the linemen starting seeing how this rush offense looks, they will get excited about the prospect of being a part of it. Once Stewart breaks off 1400-1500 k in this offense, HB's will want to sign up to be a part of it. If Paul Richardson and Deehan can place on the all-conference teams with strong seasons, TE's and WR's will want to be a part of it. We're not even 6 mos. into the regime change and guys are pulling out calling the coaches busts.

CU has annually been passed up by the state's best players 1-2 best players outside of Miller and Major from what I can recall over the past 10 years. The only difference this year is that there is 5-6 of those quality players vs. 1-2 so the pain feels worse. It's not over yet though. Signing day isn't until February. We all gave up on Marc Mustoe and it took the coaching staff something like 2 weeks to flip him after he verballed to UCLA. Priorities will change. Coaches will move on. CU has to remain constant, stay on these guys, and win sooner vs. later. This is a long term project though.

I just think this is true in general, players are all saying nice things about our coaches and direction of the program, but until we prove something on the field, we will languish somewhat in recruiting. We really need to demonstrate our coaches' abilities this coming football season.

this is what you wouldnt put in barzil? tini you pussy

Adam just tweeted it. It's on the home page.

As you know, we almost always keep premium site info off our board until it has aged a bit (even for our paying members). I think it's a little unfair to expect that every bit of info you're interested in from the premium sites gets posted here or pm'd to you as soon as it's available to the people who laid down about a hundred bucks a year for each of those sites. Gotta also respect that Adam and the other premium site operators have families to feed.

Adam just tweeted it. It's on the home page.

As you know, we almost always keep premium site info off our board until it has aged a bit (even for our paying members). I think it's a little unfair to expect that every bit of info you're interested in from the premium sites gets posted here or pm'd to you as soon as it's available to the people who laid down about a hundred bucks a year for each of those sites. Gotta also respect that Adam and the other premium site operators have families to feed.

no argument but i was told it was not on rivals until today

Well crap. What is it with CO kids going to nibletville?

Honestly, Nebraska is kind of hard for me to understand in this case. That offense isn't exactly getting OLs ready for the NFL and it certainly wouldn't be a decision made for the educational opportunity. I can see a DB or DL choosing Nebraska over other big offers right now, but a blue chip OL has better options.

Honestly, Nebraska is kind of hard for me to understand in this case. That offense isn't exactly getting OLs ready for the NFL and it certainly wouldn't be a decision made for the educational opportunity. I can see a DB or DL choosing Nebraska over other big offers right now, but a blue chip OL has better options.

Is it official? Don't Colorado kids grow up hating nebraska with every ounce of their being? Where's the parenting here?

There was some dude here in Kabul wearing a nebraska shirt the other day. I stared him down, 'cause those shirts just make me angry, and then I realized it was a local national who probably received the shirt as a gift from a misguided soldier. So I didn't fight him, but I called him an A-hole. There are plenty of other hearts and minds I can win--we don't need that one. Okay, I didn't really call him a bad name.

Can I write this stuff in the recruiting forum? I get confused sometimes.

Is it official? Don't Colorado kids grow up hating nebraska with every ounce of their being? Where's the parenting here?

There was some dude here in Kabul wearing a nebraska shirt the other day. I stared him down, 'cause those shirts just make me angry, and then I realized it was a local national who probably received the shirt as a gift from a misguided soldier. So I didn't fight him, but I called him an A-hole. There are plenty of other hearts and minds I can win--we don't need that one. Okay, I didn't really call him a bad name.

Did you look close enough to notice if it was a 2001 Rose Bowl championship shirt? I hear that they print shirts for both teams and then send the losers shirt (redundant in this case) to a 3rd world country. That said, it would have been pretty hard to make the business case that year to print that shirt at all.

Is it official? Don't Colorado kids grow up hating Nebraska with every ounce of their being? Where's the parenting here?

There was some dude here in Kabul wearing a Nebraska shirt the other day. I stared him down, 'cause those shirts just make me angry, and then I realized it was a local national who probably received the shirt as a gift from a misguided soldier. So I didn't fight him, but I called him an A-hole. There are plenty of other hearts and minds I can win--we don't need that one. Okay, I didn't really call him a bad name.

Dear Confused in Kabul:

Don't be confused. There are Nebraska fans everywhere on this globe we call Earth.

Nebraska will be a great opportunity for Thurston. He fits the "Nebraska" mold and do great things one way or another.

Recruiting for the Buffs will pick up, but it will take a season or two to get the local kids excited about the program.

Oh, one more thing: Don't let the Red shirts with the "N" on them get under your skin. We are sort of on the same team now. Being Big 12 defectors and all.

Good Luck in the 12-Pac!

I'm baffled by this one. Somebody dropped the ball. This should never happen.

My guess is he moved there from Lincoln so he could live in a nicer place. Can't blame him.

Dear Confused in Kabul:

Don't be confused. There are Nebraska fans everywhere on this globe we call Earth.

Nebraska will be a great opportunity for Thurston. He fits the "Nebraska" mold and do great things one way or another.

Recruiting for the Buffs will pick up, but it will take a season or two to get the local kids excited about the program.

Oh, one more thing: Don't let the Red shirts with the "N" on them get under your skin. We are sort of on the same team now. Being Big 12 defectors and all.

Good Luck in the 12-Pac!

You may have left the Big 12, but you're still from Nebraska. Good riddance and don't ever try to pair Nebraska with CU ever again.

You need a supply of CU shirts so you can replace that **** and immediately start a bonfire.

Arvada West is not 20 minutes from Boulder. This kid had to grow up watching CU. He wouldn't be able to avoid it. Guys, this is apocolyptic. This is making me question the recruiting acumen of this staff.

I think we are in a really good spot with Thurston. Would not be surprised if he is an early commit.

http://colorado.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1186224

Today's Rivals update backs this up.

"When I compare other schools to Colorado, Colorado has a little more edge over them just because I haven't been out to too many other places. I've been up there a couple times so I know CU and I've met with the coaches so that's a big advantage I'd say."

Somebody care to tell me just what the hell happened in the last 4 months?

He got out to other schools?

This one stings more than others cuz he's local. I still maintain it's about showing it on the field.

Man this one sucks. He's right down the street, we have a couple Arvada West teammates of his on the team. He was supposedly a CU fan growing up. Worst of all, we weren't even close to landing him. Didn't even make his top 3. I just don't know what to say other than Marshall really concerns me as a recruiter.

Will it be possible for him to have a sleepover at Mustoe's house the night before signing day?

Back