What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 CO PG Xavier Talton (Signed to Colorado)

Basketball program has high expectations, what can we say.
I suspect you know very little about the WBB program and what Chucky has brought to it. If Talton develops as Chucky has in what he would bring to the MBB program, he will help fulfill those high expectations.

I think based on comparison to the other guys we have committed, his size, his level of competition, this is a real reach.

That all said I also trust the Tad has a plan and knows what he wants to do. This may be one of those kids that you recruit for what he will be in two years, not what he is now.

All that said, welcome aboard and I am ready to have Tad amaze me with his eye for talent.

Tad said he would go after the Colorado kids he felt could play D-I ball. Plus, he probably redshirts next year and won't be needed in the rotation until his junior year....gives him lots of time to develop.

I like that 3 of the 5 kids we brought in are locals

Tad said he would go after the Colorado kids he felt could play D-I ball. Plus, he probably redshirts next year and won't be needed in the rotation until his junior year....gives him lots of time to develop.

I like that 3 of the 5 kids we brought in are locals

Assuming they can compete and win at the Pac-12 level, it's definitely a good thing for the program.

Congrats to Xavier, totally agree with the redshirt. Welcome to the B+G! Never leave our brandy-new practice facility lol.

I know there is a lot of knocking on this guy because he wasnt a huge hightly respected recruit, and his mix video well... sucks...

But I have to agree, if Tad has looked at him as closely as you all say, and I am sure he was on Tad's radar for a while back when he was at UNC, I think there is something he sees in him. Hopefully it is more of a Andre Roberson type feeling, not a Ben Mills feeling.

Edit: Nothing aginst Ben Mills, I was just referencing coming in and being productive from Day 1, not a project that will be benificial 2-3 years down the road. I am really excited to see what we get out of Ben, in a couple years.

You know, my initial reaction to the rumors of Talton getting a scholarship was that I was underwhelmed. We had just lost Wallace, who was a top 100 prospect and many thought was a lock to come to Colorado (gotta give the Cal staff credit on that one, they did a great job) and then came the news about Xavier. That said, the more I read about the kid, the more I think he might be a pretty good player for us. 'Nik has already mentioned his positives and that the only thing he's lacking is athleticism (which, granted, is a big deal), but I was talking to someone who I really respect and they pointed out that Talton was easily the best player on the court in last year's state championship game -- and that was against Josh & Jordan Scott's Lewis-Palmer team. He did clarify it by adding that Sterling did everything they could to keep the ball out of Scott's hands, but that's still a pretty glowing statement.

I'm not saying he's going to be a star, but I'm not worried about this kid being a bum. He'll take a redshirt year and be a solid rotation player for us.

ESPN's scouting report on Talton is intriguing too.

Taulton is a strong lead guard with a scorer's mentality and great court demeanor. His strength and burst separate him from most guards. He has an excellent pull-up game, especially off of two-dribbles. He squares up very nicely and just rises up over the defense to get his shot off. He can hit the 3-point shot as well and he has a nice floater too boot. In addition, he is a solid rebounder and he has the potential to be an excellent defender.
Taulton is one of the better looking sleepers out west. He has a Division I frame and the athleticism to play at the next level. With coaching and continued attention to detail (learning the point guard position), he should be a solid prospect for the next level.

Adam just tweeted that Talton has faxed in his LOI and with that we have our first switch from "Verbal to Colorado" to "Committed to Colorado".

Welcome Xavier!

Makes me happy to see a kid from my hometown be a fellow Buff. Sterling has a good basketball program and plays good fundamentals. I am pretty sure Tad is familiar with Sterling as he used to play and coach against them. I think he was coaching Longmont when Sterling's current head coach was a player (they were in the same conference back then). Sterling has always been pretty sound with fundamentals and has a good basketball community (highschool and juco). Just not a lot of depth like big schools have.

I like it. When you look back at it, think of all the Colorado players that got away without CU paying attention.
There for a while you could have had a starting lineup of kids we didn't think were good enough for DI hoops.
Nick Fazekas in Nevada, Sean Ogirri at Wichita State, Jason Smith at CSU. Throw in a top 100 kid like Bolden at Gonzaga and I think Colorado talent has been undervalued in some terms.

Ten days ago we were debating between Wallace and Artis as the better point; but looking at Talton, he appears more athletic than Artis, with a bigger and better frame for D1 hoops. If Talton and Artis switched high schools or AAU teams, I think we'd be screaming for joy about getting the "more recognized" player in Talton.

They should get the chance to play each other down the road, so we'll see, but I really like getting another Colo kid with talent, in the fold. Too many Colo kids in the past, were overlooked, simply because they played in Colo!

Don't think he need to RS either. Just good coaching and practicing hard against outstanding team mates will get him ready to play.

I like it. When you look back at it, think of all the Colorado players that got away without CU paying attention.
There for a while you could have had a starting lineup of kids we didn't think were good enough for DI hoops.
Nick Fazekas in Nevada, Sean Ogirri at Wichita State, Jason Smith at CSU. Throw in a top 100 kid like Bolden at Gonzaga and I think Colorado talent has been undervalued in some terms.

You could also throw in a couple of kids from Pagosa Springs (of all places!) who played D1, including one who started for Wazzu for a couple of years. Talent will out!

We also let the two guys get away to Boston College and Gutierrez get away to Cal when he supposedly wanted a CU offer.

There is talent in the state. I don't think you can just recruit the state. But the three we got this year, will be a big part of why the program succeeds or doesn't.

Wow. That was just added then because I checked on that this morning. Thanks.

If X. Talton would have played on the AAU circuit this summer with a few good players, very few of you would be disappointed. He has good size, good handle, good stroke, good smarts, and is a CO kid. I give a CTB a lot of credit cause he went after the PG's he wanted on the national stage, and he when didn't get them, he had a solid backup plan... And since it happened to be an in-state kid, that makes it even better.

Boyle on Xavier Talton "Xaiver is a guy that wants to be a Buff...kid can pass, dribble and shoot"

Back