What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 TNFR QB Jordan Webb (Committed to Colorado)

Webb is a known commodity. He is a below average qb who started for a very bad team. He also was told that he would not be starting anymore for that bad team.

With that said, the problem isn't Webb, it's the other scholly qbs we have. One of them should be able to beat out Webb. If Webb starts after just setting foot on campus in July, it says more about our coaches ability to recruit qbs than anything else.

If by "coaches", you mean D2, then I agree with you.

Well he's played in 21 D1 games and completed 60.6% of his passes with a 6.2 ypa. His INT/TD ratio is exactly one to one, which is a little concerning, but he left KU not because he wasn't necessarily the best QB...maybe that is true and maybe it isn't. I am inclined to think it is more because he wasn't a QB Fat Charlie picked. There was a coaching change and coaching changes inevitable lead to QB attrition, more so than any other postion.

By comparison, TH was 56% last year with a 7.0 ypa. His TD to INT ratio was better (20/11), and the coaches would have loved to have had him back. Webb's numbers aren't that much differnt. He will be in the mix because of his skill set, not just because the other QB's aren't up to snuff....
I also wonder if his TD/INT ratio was affected by their crappy OL. Don't know...just wondering...

Turner Gill proved to be an ineffective coach and the team was a disaster. Even HaLk was beating KU before calling the dumbest 4th quarter in CU football history. Perhaps Webb will improve with a better offensive line, but at least we know Webb will not curl up into the fetal position come game time. I saw that happen years ago with James Cox. It nearly happened with Hirschman last year.

A different level of player, but look at Russell Wilson's stats after he made the switch from NC State to Wisconsin. The rest of the team and coaching makes a difference. Do we have a better supporting cast and coaching than Kansas did last year? God, I hope so.

YearSchoolPassingRushing
CompAttYdsTDIntPctEffAttYdsAvgTD
2008NC State1502751,95517154.5133.91163943.44
2009NC State2243783,027311159.3147.81032602.54
2010NC State3085273,563281458.4127.51434353.09
2011Wisconsin2253093,17533472.8191.8793384.36
College totals9071,48911,7201093060.9147.24411,4273.223

Last edited:
Turner Gill proved to be an ineffective coach and the team was a disaster. Even HaLk was beating KU before calling the dumbest 4th quarter in CU football history. Perhaps Webb will improve with a better offensive line, but at least we know Webb will not curl up into the fetal position come game time. I saw that happen years ago with James Cox. It nearly happened with Hirschman last year.

A different level of player, but look at Russell Wilson's stats after he made the switch from NC State to Wisconsin. The rest of the team and coaching makes a difference. Do we have a better supporting cast and coaching than Kansas did last year? God, I hope so.

YearSchoolPassingRushing
CompAttYdsTDIntPctEffAttYdsAvgTD
2008NC State1502751,95517154.5133.91163943.44
2009NC State2243783,027311159.3147.81032602.54
2010NC State3085273,563281458.4127.51434353.09
2011Wisconsin2253093,17533472.8191.8793384.36
College totals9071,48911,7201093060.9147.24411,4273.223
woah lordy table copy and paste fail.

I also wonder if his TD/INT ratio was affected by their crappy OL. Don't know...just wondering...
Good question. About the only way you'd know would be to watch the film. I don't have the time or the inclination...and I'm not sure my opinion would be worth much if I did.

The hope is that Wood steps up and shows why he was a 4* prospect with a long list of offers. In that case Webb gives him a guys with significant experience to fall back on to help in preparation and also gives us a backup with D1 experience.

If Wood doesn't step up then Webb starts allowing us to RS Dillon and use Wood, Hirsch or Schrock as the back-up.

Either way without Webb the only QB on the roster who has actually looked at a college defense in a real game is Hirsch and he didn't do anything when he did to inspire great confidence.

I also wouldn't be overly worried about Fat Charlie deciding not to go with him. His ego is up there on the same scale as the Bozo from Boise when it comes to thinking he's smarter than everyone else.

Well he's played in 21 D1 games and completed 60.6% of his passes with a 6.2 ypa. His INT/TD ratio is exactly one to one, which is a little concerning, but he left KU not because he wasn't necessarily the best QB...maybe that is true and maybe it isn't. I am inclined to think it is more because he wasn't a QB Fat Charlie picked. There was a coaching change and coaching changes inevitable lead to QB attrition, more so than any other postion.

By comparison, TH was 56% last year with a 7.0 ypa. His TD to INT ratio was better (20/11), and the coaches would have loved to have had him back. Webb's numbers aren't that much differnt. He will be in the mix because of his skill set, not just because the other QB's aren't up to snuff....

Don't confuse walk with and argument containing facts.

If he can get that 6.2 ypa up closer to 7 ypa, he should have some success.

If he can get that 6.2 ypa up closer to 7 ypa, he should have some success.

:nod:

Pair that with maintaining his completion % over 60 and improving to a 2-1 TD-INT ratio and we'd be getting winning QB play.

:nod:

Pair that with maintaining his completion % over 60 and improving to a 2-1 TD-INT ratio and we'd be getting winning QB play.

I didnt realize he had 2 to play 2. I am liking this pick up more and more.

I have been on the fence about him from the beginning given the quality depth we have on paper and his average performance at KU. But as others have said, he has real game time experience and we all saw what our staff did with Hansen with only 1 year. If nothing else he should push the others and make for a good backup.

I really don't care who is the QB next season, I just want the best guy to play AT THE QUARTERBACK POSITION (not sure why I allcapped that, except to bring attention to the recent mandatory inclusion into the football lexicon that you now must actually say "position" immediately after naming the position (Schlereth et. al, 2011).

I also wouldn't be overly worried about Fat Charlie deciding not to go with him. His ego is up there on the same scale as the Bozo from Boise when it comes to thinking he's smarter than everyone else.

I hope you're right. It seems kind of weird that he'd let his only experienced QB go so easily.

I hope you're right. It seems kind of weird that he'd let his only experienced QB go so easily.
Good point. But Fat Charlie wants a WCO "Decided schematic advantage" (which worked wonders at ND :rolling_eyes:). So Webb was perceieved as a spread QB, while Heaps and Crist were the much ballyhooed can't miss recruits at their respective schools (BYU and ND). They both missed and reunited with Fat Charlie who has missed everything but the buffet since leaving NE. I guess we'll see who is right in their assessment of Webb's ability to play WCO QB, Fat Charlie or Embo....

BTW, what is with KU and value sized coaches anyway?

He makes their fans seem skinny by comparison.

fattest-states-2010-obesity-map.gif

Last edited:

I had the same thought but compared to Mangino, Charlie looks like Slick Rick.

What he lacks in girth compared to Mangino he makes up in ego. He is one of those coaches who is convinced that he is way smarter than everybody else. This seems to be a common thread with guys out of the Belicheat system. Combined they haven't had a lot of success and I don't think Charlie is going to change that at Kansas.

I think the comparisons to Cody need to stop. Webb is 6'1 and 200+ with a strong arm. Cody is 5'8 and 180 soaking wet and couldn't throw the ball over 15 yards.

Webb may not be an all american. But I think we all know he is capable of leading a Division 1 team. If nobody else proves to be better than he is, he'll be starting for 2 years. And that isn't a bad thing. I think we can get solid play from him given his 2 years of D1 experience already and developing ability. I'd be just happy not having to hear about Cody throughout that time.

Webb could be one of the most valuable pieces to building CU's return to greatness. We just need a couple solid years to boost recruiting. Once he's out of here in 2014, we're looking at a team led by Dillon or Liufau. If Webb gets us to ONE bowl game, that 2014 team will have enough talent to start doing some real damage.

Go Buffs! Go Jordan!

^^^^

Would Rep, but I am out,

Got him for you.

This is correct.

Cody is gone and thankfully so is his dad.

A better comparison for Webb might be Klatt. Joel was not a great QB for us but he was good enough to win a lot of games with. If Webb can come in and with good coaching be a solid QB, not make a lot of mistakes, and make the basic plays that keep the offense moving then he will be worth having.

I am still hoping that Wood steps up and plays to his talent level. If he does he has the talent to be a difference maker which we don't have enough of on this team. Even if Wood does this having Webb will be valuable because he gives us an experienced back-up and a guy who can help Wood with game prep in a way that coaches can't. If Wood doesn't step up it means we have an experienced QB and aren't forced to play Dillon before he is ready or even go to Schrock.

Hirsch is still around as well but Webb has shown much more than Hirsch has on the field and I have questions about the ability of Hirsch to hold up physcally. It seems like once guys have problems with their feet it doesn't go away.

With the beating he stood up to behind the OL at Kansas we know that Webb is durable .

I think the comparisons to Cody need to stop. Webb is 6'1 and 200+ with a strong arm. Cody is 5'8 and 180 soaking wet and couldn't throw the ball over 15 yards.

Webb may not be an all american. But I think we all know he is capable of leading a Division 1 team. If nobody else proves to be better than he is, he'll be starting for 2 years. And that isn't a bad thing. I think we can get solid play from him given his 2 years of D1 experience already and developing ability. I'd be just happy not having to hear about Cody throughout that time.

Webb could be one of the most valuable pieces to building CU's return to greatness. We just need a couple solid years to boost recruiting. Once he's out of here in 2014, we're looking at a team led by Dillon or Liufau. If Webb gets us to ONE bowl game, that 2014 team will have enough talent to start doing some real damage.

Go Buffs! Go Jordan!

Probably reasonable to just let the competition play itself out without the cheerleading squad or critic section for any of these QBs. That said, the comparisons to Cody are obviously not about the measurables, but more about the performance through his career to this point. The numbers don't tell the whole story, but both guys had "experience and grit" and also sub par records.

I think a lot of people are actually staying that they have similar measurables. I think the grit and experience comparison is lazy. You could say that about 50 qbs from last year.

Back