What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 TNFR QB Jordan Webb (Committed to Colorado)

I think a lot of people are actually staying that they have similar measurables. I think the grit and experience comparison is lazy. You could say that about 50 qbs from last year.

Don't necessarily disagree with what you say here, just pointing out that in my opinion, the physical differences are so evident, that it leads me to believe the comparisons are based more on lackluster stats and their respective teams' winning percentages. In any event, I've got no horse in this race, so I'm happy to see how this thing plays out.

It's becoming clearer and clearer that Webb may beat out Wood for the starting job.
He'll beat out Wood with both arms.

channing-tatum-jonah-hill-21-jump-street-05112011-lead.jpg

Are you bigbang's brother?

Webb had zero help at KU. No line and no WR.

I don't often agree with 'tini but I do here. I see a lot to like from Webb's sophomore film.

In fact if you insist on comparisons to Cody, I'd take Cody (with speed and athleticism) all day long.

Height is over-rated (see Drew Brees, Doug Flutie...). It's a nice to have, but in the college game, there plenty of guys that have excelled recently at about Webb's height to make this a "don't care" to me.

Experience and decision making under pressure is huge.
I don't know that Wood has done that yet.

Either way, it will be very INTERESTING to see what Embree holds for a competition this fall. Live hitting? No colored jersey?
It's the only way to tell, imo.

I don't often agree with 'tini but I do here. I see a lot to like from Webb's sophomore film.

In fact if you insist on comparisons to Cody, I'd take Cody (with speed and athleticism) all day long.

Height is over-rated (see Drew Brees, Doug Flutie...). It's a nice to have, but in the college game, there plenty of guys that have excelled recently at about Webb's height to make this a "don't care" to me.

Experience and decision making under pressure is huge.
I don't know that Wood has done that yet.

Either way, it will be very INTERESTING to see what Embree holds for a competition this fall. Live hitting? No colored jersey?
It's the only way to tell, imo.

One day he'll get a hair up his butt and put a pail 50 yards away. The QB with the 10 closest balls is the starter.

http://www.denverpost.com/colleges/ci_21150709/new-cu-buffs-qb-jordan-webb-impresses-teammates

Nice write up on Webb at the Denver Post.

It's becoming clearer and clearer that Webb may beat out Wood for the starting job. At least to start!
I don't see how you can jump to that conclusion based on that article. The pads haven't gone on yet and we've heard year after year about so and so is playing great in the 7v7's and they're going to be great this year! Plus, the coaches aren't there. This is all based off of the players viewpoints and they are not making the decision.

And it's not like it's a concensus among players. DonMac went off on Rivals about how "the team" thinks Hirsch will win the job. He was speaking for a couple kids...

We won't know Jack until late in the process.

And it's not like it's a concensus among players. DonMac went off on Rivals about how "the team" thinks Hirsch will win the job. He was speaking for a couple kids...

We won't know Jack until late in the process.

So Jack Harris is making the decision? Great.

But yeah I've heard quite a few say Wood will start but very few saying Hirsh or Webb but there is not a consensus pick like Don was trying to say. You're right, we won't know anything for a while, even if the staff knows who it is.

I don't see how you can jump to that conclusion based on that article. The pads haven't gone on yet and we've heard year after year about so and so is playing great in the 7v7's and they're going to be great this year! Plus, the coaches aren't there. This is all based off of the players viewpoints and they are not making the decision.

I'm just counting up the clue's here. Wood wasn't very impressive in the spring. Hirsch hasn't really ever shown to me that he should be the guy. And now we have Webb who comes in and it just seems that his experience will get him over the top.

I'm just counting up the clue's here. Wood wasn't very impressive in the spring. Hirsch hasn't really ever shown to me that he should be the guy. And now we have Webb who comes in and it just seems that his experience will get him over the top.

That's pretty weak. The practices were closed and the DL had worse talent than some Texas HS schools. Did the coaches specifically say that he wasn't impressive? Why would they jump to that when they have no DL? The only critique of Wood I heard was that he needs to work on consistency. Webb just got to campus and these are PLAYER evaluations. They have no input on who plays where outside of themselves. We've heard time and time again about players impressing over the summer only for that to not happen when the pads go on. You're putting too much stock into one or two comments from a few players. I also think you're overrating his experience but I'm not going to get into that.

I don't think we have any real clues yet, and I thought Wood actually was pretty solid and showed some potential in spring. I listened to part of an Embree interview on KOA last night, and he made a few interesting comments on the QB decision making (paraphrasing from memory here):

1) He's not all about just the stats such as yardage, completion percentage, etc.
2) Instead, one thing he looks for is a QB that overcomes adversity. Such as if he throws a pick, does he recover and make good plays right after tha.
3) Another key factor is he is looking for a field general: how do the other players respond to him, and do they play harder and with more intensity based on his leadership.

CLUE #1 - Webb has 2 years of game experience in a BCS conference. The other two QB's don't. Advantage Webb.

CLUE #2 - Embo wants a field general. Webb is likely to make smarter decisions when bullets are flying than the two younger guys. He's also been called a good leader. Advantage Webb.

CLUE #3 - Webb chose CU over other opportunities. I don't know what the coaches told him, but it didn't steer him away and he's not scared of his competition

None of my clues have anything to do with player comments this summer. I just get the feeling that Webb is a safer bet for Embo. In a perfect world, Wood would blow the doors off of this opportunity and become the stud we all hope. I just haven't seen that yet. I think we'll see 2 or maybe 3 QB's start games this year realistically. I could give a **** whether you think my opinion is weak or not. We're all just guessing.

Again, we don't know. Wood could have lit it up in the spring, and Embree is still going to say what he's said.

He's got to give Hirschman a shot because he is the only QB in the mix that came here as a recruit, and has been around the longest. Many of the leaders on this team have been around Hirsch. Embree will make sure it's a fair deal, so that the winner of the race can get the respect of everyone else. In other words, not create division like the Cody/Tyler situation did.

CLUE #1 - Webb has 2 years of game experience in a BCS conference. The other two QB's don't. Advantage Webb.

CLUE #2 - Embo wants a field general. Webb is likely to make smarter decisions when bullets are flying than the two younger guys. He's also been called a good leader. Advantage Webb.

CLUE #3 - Webb chose CU over other opportunities. I don't know what the coaches told him, but it didn't steer him away and he's not scared of his competition

None of my clues have anything to do with player comments this summer. I just get the feeling that Webb is a safer bet for Embo. In a perfect world, Wood would blow the doors off of this opportunity and become the stud we all hope. I just haven't seen that yet. I think we'll see 2 or maybe 3 QB's start games this year realistically. I could give a **** whether you think my opinion is weak or not. We're all just guessing.

If you were responding to my post, I wasn't saying I thought your opinion was weak. I am saying that Embree has not seen a single down of practice yet with Webb at CU yet, and everything he said in that interview requires time to watch them all compete on an equal footing.

The worst thing Embree could do is come in with a decision already made. None of the three have done anything in a CU uniform that makes the job theirs. They know it, the coaches know it, and their teammates know it. If Embree is going to have credibility when he says the guys who earn it will play then it has to start at the most prominent position on the team.

He may have a pretty good idea of who he thinks is going to get the job but he will give all three a shot to step up and if one does above the others the job is his. I have my favorite, others here and on the team have their favorites. Until Embree says that one of them has earned it none of that matters.

Agreed Mtn. I definitely think it is anyone's job. I'm only guessing what I think will happen.

I have hoped all along that Wood steps up and becomes a monster for us.

Ultimately, I think this comes down to a 2 horse race. Webb vs Wood. Wood has the most reward and risk, while Webb may be the safer bet. Hirsch doesn't seem worthy to me.

It's been a while since I read it and I don't feel like sifting through all of the threads to find it.

It's been a while since I read it and I don't feel like sifting through all of the threads to find it.

What other opportunities did Webb have?

I think he could've gone to some lesser FBS schools. North Texas was one place I remember. I know he looked at Wisconsin initially with some mild mutual interest, but no offer in the end. CU was clearly his best option.

As with most, I really hope Wood steps up and shows everyone why he was so highly recruited out of high school. However, I think that our best chance of making a bowl this year (1:10 v. 1:100) may be if Webb is named the starter in week 1. I think he will be like Hansen+ (basically if Hansen actually got to use his redshirt) and the chances of him making the an upperclassmen leap are better than expecting Wood to just come out and rock as a rookie...

If Webb can warm up against CSU and Sac St then I like our chances better of winning in Fresno and pulling an upset later on in the year. We could get by early on with Wood before realizing Webb is the better option and then be basically forced to throw Webb to the Pac12 wolves.

I would like to see a time share at this point where Webb plays and Wood plays. Embree goes with whoever has the hot hand in the second half of games. They each bring different things to the table and make for game planning against us that much more difficult.

I would like to see a time share at this point where Webb plays and Wood plays. Embree goes with whoever has the hot hand in the second half of games. They each bring different things to the table and make for game planning against us that much more difficult.

**** no

Someone obviously needs to step up and show they are the person for the job. Klatt did that in the 2003 season - I remember Barnett saying that Klatt came out of no where - he had walked on and was not getting snaps in practice to any degree in 2002 and going into spring in 2003 all the players all of a sudden were talking about how well Klatt was doing in practice.

I could live with that for a couple games. Hopes they can at least narrow to two before the first game.
Hirsch took a lot of snaps in spring of 2011 and as the backup in spring 2012 in practices.
Wood took a lot of snaps in spring of 2012.
Webb is the newbie here.

I'd expect he's drinking thru a fire hose right now.

I could live with that for a couple games. Hopes they can at least narrow to two before the first game.
Hirsch took a lot of snaps in spring of 2011 and as the backup in spring 2012 in practices.
Webb is the newbie here.

Speaking of which.. it's Friday afternoon, time for a beer!
images

Webb is the newbie here.

Against CSU and Sacramento I think it would be good to see what we've got in both players during game action. It also lets us see how the players manage the playcalling and what there actual strengths are within the system. I would love for Wood to come out and dominate in those games because he has the more hype of talent right now. I just have a suspicion that Embree is also looking for a guy who is a "gamer" who doesn't make mistakes and who gives his soul at the QB position to get every ounce of value out of the offense this year. We are going to need it. I have a feeling that guy is going to be Webb.

I think Embree is looking for someone who can manage things and keep us in games in 2012.

And then we'll have another open competition for 2013, which Embo sees as our breakout year.

If no one earns his trust this fall camp, it wouldn't surprise me to see him go with Dillon to get him ready for 2013.

Interesting thought. I've been thinking no way Dillon really gets much of a look. If he's so ready, you probably don't bring in Wood and Webb and use those scholarships... I see Dillon as two years away unless these other guys can't get it done.

I'm pretty confident Webb can do for us what Hansen did last year, possibly more. Manage the game and take care of the ball. I wouldn't expect that from Dillon.

Interesting thought. I've been thinking no way Dillon really gets much of a look. If he's so ready, you probably don't bring in Wood and Webb and use those scholarships... I see Dillon as two years away unless these other guys can't get it done.

I'm pretty confident Webb can do for us what Hansen did last year, possibly more. Manage the game and take care of the ball. I wouldn't expect that from Dillon.
Unless he's not happy with the depth he has with Dorman, Hirshman, and Schrock and believes Wood, Webb, and Dillon will add that quality depth.

Back