What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 TX RB Benjamin Catalon (Signed to TCU)

A super Christian Texas school or Boulder Colorado?!?!?!? So the thought process was, "should I join a four year bible study or smoke, drink and party?" I just don't understand how these could be the two options . . . OHHHHHHHH no he just thought all those guys on Pearl St were reincarnations of jesus!!! http://hipsterorjesus.com/

hipsterorjesus.com
jesus.png

God luck to BJ, happy he chose a school that is not in our conference. After saying that not worried about the RB situation.

A super Christian Texas school or Boulder Colorado?!?!?!? So the thought process was, "should I join a four year bible study or smoke, drink and party?" I just don't understand how these could be the two options . . . OHHHHHHHH no he just thought all those guys on Pearl St were reincarnations of jesus!!!

I'm guessing proximity to family factored in to the thought process.

These recruits can choose to do what they want.
They just need to ask their parents what they want.

I'm guessing proximity to family factored in to the thought process.

These recruits can choose to do what they want.
They just need to ask their parents what they want.

his dad wanted him to go to CU because he knew what having a coach like bienemy could mean for his kid.

One that got away...

1683 yards rushing, 12.0 yard average, 27 total TDs.

Two things to take away from this:

1. Our coaching staff got in early on a really talented kid, secured a commitment, and then lost him to a home-state school. It happens to everyone.
2. We need more speed at the RB position sooner rather than later. If we do not find that guy in this class, it really needs to happen in the next class. We need some big-play ability on the offense.

I am not worried about the RB position as long as EB is here. We are in great hands.

I think this still holds true.

The fact that we were in on Catalon before just about everyone else shows that E.B. knows how to evaluate talent. Even though he is now committed to TCU it just shows that he will find guys that can help us.

Next step is to close some and I'm not overly worried about that either in time.

I still think our best chance for a blue-chip prospect is wes brown. Mainly becasue of EB

I still think our best chance for a blue-chip prospect is wes brown. Mainly becasue of EB
If you're strictly speaking RBs yes but at other positions, I disagree. Even with our record, we are in on some damn good prospects, ie. McNamara, Kirven, Wright, etc.

If you're strictly speaking RBs yes but at other positions, I disagree. Even with our record, we are in on some damn good prospects, ie. McNamara, Kirven, Wright, etc.

At the risk of starting a war I will point out that 3 or 4 years ago Hawk was "in on" a bunch of damn good prospects (the year what's his name ditched CU for Oregon at the last minute). At the end of the day, being in on them doesn't really count, only landing them.

At the risk of starting a war I will point out that 3 or 4 years ago Hawk was "in on" a bunch of damn good prospects (the year what's his name ditched CU for Oregon at the last minute). At the end of the day, being in on them doesn't really count, only landing them.
Agreed. Maybe I should have said in good shape with blue chip prospects. If we whiff on them on NSD then I'll change my tone but I'm gonna wait until they commit before saying that.

I'd say we're not the favorite for any of those guys. I'd be surprised if we got one actually

I'll be shocked if we get Wright or Kirven. I can see us getting Wes Brown and or McNamara though.

It's too bad BJ wants to stay home so badly, we sure could use his speed in the backfield. He'd probably get a lot of touches and catches in our offense.

I'll be shocked if we get Wright or Kirven. I can see us getting Wes Brown and or McNamara though.

It's too bad BJ wants to stay home so badly, we sure could use his speed in the backfield. He'd probably get a lot of touches and catches in our offense.
Kirven probably is the least likely of the three but we're still the only school Wright has visited and he has friends from DBP on the team who are getting PT which I think helps us out. He'd be a four year starter at CU, where as anywhere else he'd sit a year or two.

You said it, we're still the only school outside of Rutgers that he has seen. I think he changes his tune quite a bit when he takes in some other locales. I hope you're right though, I'd love to have him.

You said it, we're still the only school outside of Rutgers that he has seen. I think he changes his tune quite a bit when he takes in some other locales. I hope you're right though, I'd love to have him.

This. He seems like a really impressionable young man. Will probably be "blown away" to every school he visits

With all due respect to Creatini's years of wisdom and experience, if we get one of these guys, it will be a huge surprise. Assuming they still have committable offers from top programs, which looks like a safe assumption unless one of them breaks some laws.

Huh?

A super Christian Texas school or Boulder Colorado?!?!?!? So the thought process was, "should I join a four year bible study or smoke, drink and party?" I just don't understand how these could be the two options . . . OHHHHHHHH no he just thought all those guys on Pearl St were reincarnations of jesus!!! http://hipsterorjesus.com/

hipsterorjesus.com
jesus.png

"super Christian?". I graduated from TCU. There was a requirement to tak one semester of a religious class. I took Religions of the World. We spent a couple of weeks on each of the major world religions, visited a mosque & synagogue, had Hindu & Buddhist guest speakers and on Sunday morning I saw more empty bottles of Purple Passion lying around campus than I saw students going to church. I went there having not attended church since I was about 12. There was never any kind of even the slightest sort of pressure to do anything religious in the 4 years I was there. If that's your thing it was there but no one ever put religion in your face.

"super Christian?". I graduated from TCU. There was a requirement to tak one semester of a religious class. I took Religions of the World. We spent a couple of weeks on each of the major world religions, visited a mosque & synagogue, had Hindu & Buddhist guest speakers and on Sunday morning I saw more empty bottles of Purple Passion lying around campus than I saw students going to church. I went there having not attended church since I was about 12. There was never any kind of even the slightest sort of pressure to do anything religious in the 4 years I was there. If that's your thing it was there but no one ever put religion in your face.

did you just sign up for that post? go dirk

Well, I also know a girl who was castigated for going out and partying and not coming home to her house on time. They would tell her she was going to hell...

So ya, there is probably a cultural difference between the two schools :lol:. Point is well made though. Big difference between "official" pressure and unofficial/cultural pressure.

okay then Waco or Boulder. Did you have a lot of pressure to take prozac so you wouldn't have to face the reality of living in a gigantic ****-hole?

okay then Waco or Boulder. Did you have a lot of pressure to take prozac so you wouldn't have to face the reality of living in a gigantic ****-hole?

TCU is in Ft. Worth, not Waco. You're thinking of Baylor.

TCU is in Ft. Worth, not Waco. You're thinking of Baylor.

dammit, I hate Baylor so much it is clouding my judgement. Ft Worth is terrible, my sister lived there for two years so I went there several times (and don't forget the Big 12 championship versus Texas).

so it is true that the motto for the city of Dallas is: we're not Fort Worth.

Leads the Horned Frogs in rushing this year. Bet he wishes he had stayed as a Buff commit!!

Very solid 1st season. Needs to hit the endzone more though. He'll be another Darren Sproles when it's all said and done. Hard to find that type of speed, with a well built, short but thick stature like he has.

Not directed at BB (even though I quoted him), because I think he agrees with me on this point, but...

This is why I always say to trust the film and our coach evaluations. BJ didn't suddenly become a better player when the new offers came in. But all of a sudden, peoples' opinion of him is that he's a guy we can't afford to lose when very recently I was reading crap about him being like a Hawkins recruit who other programs didn't want. BJ's a player.

As far as holding on, we have three things working in our favor:

1. He's already committed, which puts us in the lead position.
2. He's an early enrollee, so his decision timeline is shorter.
3. Bieniemy is recruiting him, and he almost never loses guys once he gets them to verbal.

I'm nervous, but I'm not in panic mode.

Went back and re-read some posts. While we all were overvaluing Embree and EB at the time as coaches, I maintain they did a damn good job in identifying some really good players early and Catalon was one of them. I got absolutely no issues with the job Jon did in finding and bringing in players, given his lack of resume, which in hand didn't do much to predict future success as a head coach to me or any recruit.

Back