What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'13 CA S Kyle Trammel

Whoooohoooo!!!! Welcome aboard. I hope you lay out many a prima donna pac 12 reciever

I like how he doesn't assume his teammates are going to make a tackle. He just makes it himself.

and when you have guy with the long hair coming out the back of his helmet on your team (mostly played linebacker.) You know he sucks at tackling, so you are gonna have to get it done.

This.

JE is bringing in guys that finish the play. Hopefully Embree made a good decision to offer the kid and he turns into a multi-year starter, but he has the potential of making the team tougher. We definitely need that, but in 2+ years when he plays every guy on the team should be like that.

I read that he ran a 11.64 in the 100m at a California track event in March. Certainly fast enough for a safety.

KYLE TRAMMEL, JR., SILVERADO
Trammel earned the reputation as one of the hardest hitters in the High Desert at safety this year while racking up 108 tackles and two interceptions.
“He made kids not want to touch the ball,” Posey said.

Last edited:
Welcome Kyle!!!

Just some stuff from some searching this morning...

December 2011 article. http://hdsportspass.freedomblogging.com/tag/prep-football/
Picking an Athlete of the Year can sometimes be an internal wrestling match. Often two or even three players separate themselves from the pack. Making the choice from there can be tough.
And then there are times when the decision is clear as day, just it was with year’s football defensive AOY Victor Iosefa.

• Simply put, Iosefa was the best player on the best defense in the area.

• He was pretty much a unanimous selection from the coaches we talked to. Iosefa made plays and had to be accounted for in each game. Even while the Hawks were mired in a 5-game losing streak to start the season, he was a factor.

• He was arguably the second-best defensive player in the area last year. With Silverado’s Jimmy Musgrave and Oak Hills’ Aaron Woodard graduated and Iosefa living up to reputation he’d set after two years of varsity play, the choice seemed pretty clear.

• The next player getting attention from coaches was Iosefa’s teammate safety Kyle Trammel. Trammel was an impact player for Hawks, no doubt, but to be honest, at the high school level it’s going to be tougher for someone in the defensive backfield to outshine a linebacker or defensive lineman. Trammel was certainly someone that helped make that Silverado defense as good as it was, but I think Iosefa really catapulted the Hawks to a new level when he arrived at the school.

November 18, 2011 http://www.vvdailypress.com/articles/silverado-31415-oak-victorville.html
“We figured that he was their biggest weapon so we figured out little things and techniques to try to stop him and play smart,” said Silverado junior safety Kyle Trammel, who picked up a key fourth quarter interception. “I always tell my teammates don’t worry about what just happened because that’s football. It’s football, you are (going to get scored on) so keep your head up and look forward to the next play.”

Coach Brown has never been too concerned about the size of his safeties, but he likes long corners. This kid seems like a guided missile on his highlight tape, but there's nothing of him in coverage. At the very least, he should compete for special teams points early in his career.

He probably doesn't have any other offers because all the other BCS programs knew he was going to CU, so they didn't bother.

This one is going to be an interesting one to follow. The last few years when Hawkins took guys who were off the radar it normally was because they were guys who simply weren't good enough to warrant attention from major schools. Most failed to develop into major conference quality BCS players and our talent level as a team suffered because of it.

Embree and staff seem to be placing a lot of emphasis on guys who may not be high on the radar but who they see as having high ceilings in terms of development. This kid looks like he has the speed, intelligence, and agressiveness to develop into a quality player. At the same time he certainly has questions about his size.

It will be interesting to watch him in his senior year to see if he steps up and makes the staff look like they are ahead of the curve or if he ends up as one that we wonder what the staff is doing. I will be pulling for the first option.

Reactions: aik
I seems that the staff found a guy with the combination of speed, quickness, and tackling ability, who would be the 5th or 6th db against some of the wide-open offenses employed by conference teams. With some experience playing nickel, etc., he should be able to transition to safety in a couple of years.

Someone indicated that he's another Parker Orms, which might be a good comparison. Orms did okay roaming the middle of the defensive secondary, and it seems that he may be ready to be a FS.

Coach Brown has never been too concerned about the size of his safeties, but he likes long corners. This kid seems like a guided missile on his highlight tape, but there's nothing of him in coverage. At the very least, he should compete for special teams points early in his career.

Nice catch. Against the Pac12 offenses we see and are going to see (now with Wazzou going to the spread) this is going to be key for all safeties. 1 on 1 coverages are going to be vital for us to have any good success in the league.

I think his film reiterates the staff's mantra on defense of gang tackling and playing to the whistle. he clearly does that every play.

It was Mahnke. That was awesome!
Yep that was Mahnke's lone highlight of his career, the rest were him getting dragged by te's 10 yards or so. Welcome Mr. Trammel. Dont know alot about him yet but, from the looks of it, he isnt afraid to hit. Cant have too many dbs in football these days.

I think his film reiterates the staff's mantra on defense of gang tackling and playing to the whistle. he clearly does that every play.

^^This^^

Clearly, Trammel is a player the coaches fell in love with because he's "their kind of guy" in terms of building the type of culture they want at CU.

I don't think he was recruited to play Safety or Corner. He's a perfect fit for the Chap's role as a Nickel. We often discount the importance of that position since it's not listed as a starting position in our base defense. But with Brownie's defense, it was on the field so much that Chap was named to multiple Big 12 teams. In the Pac-12 we see at least as much 3+ WR sets as we did in the Big 12, so I would expect the Nickel role to be expanded even more.

Also, Trammel's not a burner but he's got good speed. He ran a 11.64 100m at the CA Relays this year (11.54 as a soph). That's not going to be a 4.5 or better (probably in the 4.6 - 4.7 range), so the short area quickness is going to be key. What I'd love to see is Trammel compete at a combine and run a sub 4.2 short shuttle. If he's got that, he's got plenty of straight line speed.

Rivals now has a profile on Trammel and reports an offer from Arizona.

That Arizona offer probably means this one is a long way from over.

It also pretty much shows how off the radar the kid was. Hadn't bothered to fill out a Rivals profile yet, doesn't appear to be camping, not in a top HS program....

Top of this page talked about Hawkins taking kids like this. Hawkins was taking kids with no offers that we hadn't heard of until they got that offer a week before signing day. This is April. Still a lot of kids under the radar who will end up with multiple BCS offers. I'd expect this kid to get a few more now that he's out there.

Not even sure he will qualify for that matter....

It also pretty much shows how off the radar the kid was. Hadn't bothered to fill out a Rivals profile yet, doesn't appear to be camping, not in a top HS program....

I wonder if his coach knows what to do with a D1 type of player. Kind of a been-there done-that kind of thing. Like to see the Zona offer.

http://colorado.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=422&tid=173468688&mid=173468688&sid=894&style=2

I just spoke to Carl Posey, who coached Trammel at Silverado the last two seasons. He said that Trammel is "absolutely fearless" and has "outstanding burst".

http://colorado.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1360496

Trammel received his second offer from Arizona on Sunday.

"They asked me if any other colleges were talking to me and I told them about Colorado," he said. "But Arizona is going to keep recruiting me. They told me they are going to come by my school Wednesday or Thursday."

This verbal can be qualified as "soft" right now.

Back