What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'13 CA S Kyle Trammel

This verbal can be qualified as "soft" right now.

Can I assume that if a recruit is considered a "soft commit", then our staff proceeds as if there is no commitment? Meaning the soft commits spot could be taken by another recruit and his offer may then be revoked?

This is a general question and is not necessarily specific to this kid. Please delete this post or move if inappropriate for this recruit's thread.

Can I assume that if a recruit is considered a "soft commit", then our staff proceeds as if there is no commitment? Meaning the soft commits spot could be taken by another recruit and his offer is then revoked?

This is a general question and is not necessarily specific to this kid. Please delete this post or move if inappropriate for this recruit's thread.
just means that the kid is still willing to consider new offers and is allowing other schools to continue to recruit him.

http://colorado.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1360759
BuffStampede.com tracked down Carl Posey, who was Trammel's head coach at Silverado the last two seasons, to get more insight into the newest addition to CU's commitment list.
Could you talk about Kyle Trammel's abilities as a football player? What seperates him from the average high school player?

Carl Posey: "He is absolutely fearless. From the free safety position in our defense, he was able to close in an extremely fast fashion. He was outstanding versus the run, was one of our leading tacklers. He allowed us to do a lot of blitzing because he was always in the right position. Great over the top; and he just jumps out on film."

Last edited:
Should also mention that this is an Allbuffs mod or mods opinion and does not necessarily reflect the actual relationship between recruit and staff, yes?

It's a weird situation that highlights the delicate balance coaches must strike sometimes. Trammel admits he has grade issues and that he will listen to other teams (Arizona is visiting his school this week). So while the coaches will likely proceed as if he is in the fold for the duration, they also need to be maintaining contact with other prospects. You just never know what can happen.

The SAT score this summer will tell a lot. If it is looks like it will get him qualified, things look good. If it is not close, there are going to be issues.

Should also mention that this is an Allbuffs mod or mods opinion and does not necessarily reflect the actual relationship between recruit and staff, yes?
well, duh. We only have what is reported to go on, which, of course, may not be accurate. garbage in, garbage out, all that. Also, sometimes someone on allbuffs is wrong. Shocking, I know.

well, duh. We only have what is reported to go on, which, of course, may not be accurate. garbage in, garbage out, all that. Also, sometimes someone on allbuffs is wrong. Shocking, I know.

Yeah, well, I pointed that out because someone asked about how the coaches react to a "soft commit." My point was we don't know ****, I just wanted confirmation, thanks.

Yeah, well, I pointed that out because someone asked about how the coaches react to a "soft commit." My point was we don't know ****, I just wanted confirmation, thanks.

I assumed that you were talking about GIA when you used the words "soft commit."

Screw "soft commits." I'd tell him "a commitment is a commitment. You are either committed or you aren't. Until you give a firm commitment, we don't consider you a Buff and are not holding a slot open for you."

Jeez, seemed like a legit question/comment to me. Why all snarky?

Last edited:
Screw "soft commits." I'd tell him "a commitment is a commitment. You are either committed or you aren't. Until you give a firm commitment, we don't consider you a Buff and are not holding a slot open for you."

He committed. Most commitments stay with the school to which they gave a verbal. It's on the coaches to hang onto him unlike with last year when they dropped the ball with B.J. Catalon and Erich Wilson.

What are your thoughts on Christian Powell?

He committed. Most commitments stay with the school to which they gave a verbal. It's on the coaches to hang onto him unlike with last year when they dropped the ball with B.J. Catalon and Erich Wilson.
I'm not a recruitnik. I don't know about those guys. All I know is that your word is your word. I'm fine with him checking out his options. But he is either committed or not. If I were a coach I would consider him uncommitted. Sorry.

I'm not a recruitnik. I don't know about those guys. All I know is that your word is your word. I'm fine with him checking out his options. But he is either committed or not. If I were a coach I would consider him uncommitted. Sorry.

He didn't say he was a soft commit. People are reading that into his comments.

Snow & BB - this is why I never put "soft verbal" for the CU guys, only other programs. People react to a judgment call we are making. It's a good reaction when it's a "soft" to another program but not so much when it's for us.

For the record on Trammel, the main reason he's listening to other options is that he's not sure that he will meet CU's admission standards. He's got a big SAT this summer and is also re-taking some core classes over the summer that he originally got D's in. He needs to have backup plans. And before anyone gets on him about academics, Trammel is also a foster kid who didn't have a lot of stability in his life and has gotten things together a bit later than many other kids. I'll be rooting for him no matter where he ends up going to college. Glad he's a Buff and hope/expect it to stay that way.

He didn't say he was a soft commit. People are reading that into his comments.

Snow & BB - this is why I never put "soft verbal" for the CU guys, only other programs. People react to a judgment call we are making. It's a good reaction when it's a "soft" to another program but not so much when it's for us.

For the record on Trammel, the main reason he's listening to other options is that he's not sure that he will meet CU's admission standards. He's got a big SAT this summer and is also re-taking some core classes over the summer that he originally got D's in. He needs to have backup plans. And before anyone gets on him about academics, Trammel is also a foster kid who didn't have a lot of stability in his life and has gotten things together a bit later than many other kids. I'll be rooting for him no matter where he ends up going to college. Glad he's a Buff and hope/expect it to stay that way.
Sorry if I sounded like an asshole. That's a good explanation of the situation. That being said, and there is a ton of time left, I would not count on him 100%. But it sounds like we will know a lot more by September or so. Thanks. I get a bit sensitive at the "committed" then "soft commit" thing.

Watched his video a second time before disparaging remarks were to be made.

He's small and not very fast. He showed no cover skills in the video. He likes to hit. He looks exactly like Terrell Smith to me. I just don't see a good situation where he ends up starting for us.

That said, Arizona agrees with the coaches and think I'm a moron, so that's probably what is true. I hope I'm wrong.

My guess is, the coaches are trying to add some kids with tough backgrounds to help extinguish all Hawk bs and get some leaders in the locker room.

Tone is hard on the internets. My apologies, I didnt mean it to come off as snarky.

<br />
<br />
He didn't say he was a soft commit. People are reading that into his comments.<br />
<br />
Snow & BB - this is why I never put "soft verbal" for the CU guys, only other programs. People react to a judgment call we are making. It's a good reaction when it's a "soft" to another program but not so much when it's for us. <br />
<br />
Oops?

Last edited:
Sorry if I sounded like an asshole. That's a good explanation of the situation. That being said, and there is a ton of time left, I would not count on him 100%. But it sounds like we will know a lot more by September or so. Thanks. I get a bit sensitive at the "committed" then "soft commit" thing.

take a little blue pill. You're welcome. Say hi to the Mizzus for me.

3* on ESPN #41 S

Also got a 3* rating on 247sports.

Here's what the ESPN scouting report says (updated 4/4/12):

Lined up as a deep middle third safety, Trammel plays the last line of defense successfully; vs. the run or pass this prospect keeps everything in front, showing outstanding range. Has the athleticism and playing strength for the defensive safety position at the major level of competition. Presently lacks the height and weight we like to see when evaluating the position however this guy is a tough customer who plays big. If a growth spurt happens this would enhance his ability to add bulk. We see a knock'em back tackler capable of putting ball carriers on the ground without allowing leaky yardage after contact; should prove to be productive a special team's coverage defender. Displays the flexibility, agility and balance needed to play in space; does an excellent job with key and diagnosis reaction skills vs. the run. Although lined up deep, this player is a relentless run defender; attacks quickly, coming up to force the inside run while showing the ability to fill the ally; when runners break through the line, this prospect is right there to limit the damage; can turn and change direction when in lateral pursuit. We see the chase down speed needed to come from across the field to save a potential touchdown. Shows good deep route awareness from the middle third alignment; keeps everything in front and doesn't get beat deep; flashes the ability to come up on underneath completions to limit run after catch yardage. His foot quickness, ability to make tight turns and overall playing speed suggest man coverage potential; demonstrates good ball skills with a deflected interception. If a red shirt year isn't deemed necessary, Trammel could see early situational playing time on defense and special teams.

I would love to see him be a "gun" for special teams. Stong fast hitter who can get to the returner fast.

Evaluation reads like this to me "this player has 4 star ability and talent but a 3* body"

Maybe on the fence??? He's getting offers, which makes me feel good someone is seeing he's talented, but will he get flipped??

http://colorado.rivals.com/default.asp?type=2

Mod Note: Please don't cause unnecessary speculation by freaking out over a standard teaser tag line. The most recent article on Trammel is linked above, and he is "solid" with the Buffs despite new interest from a host of schools. - Snow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back