What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'14 CO ATH Kalen Ballage (Signed to Arizona State)

I can see 8 wins being a tough barrier to break through, just doubt we need to wait until year six of MacIntyre to know whether we have the right coach or not. That is not impatience so much as being practical.

It shouldn't take six (6) years to know if MacIntyre is the right coach or not. His contract runs for 5 years. By the 4th year, CU should have a good idea if he is the right coach, or not. If they aren't competitive (i.e. contending for a bowl game) by end of the 2016 season, the AD probably needs to look for a new coach for 2017.

I hope I am wrong, too. Admittedly, a lot of my opinion with regard to targets doesn't come from anything other than my impression. I know that they offered a lot of highly regarded recruits, but it doesn't seem that they got much past that stage before focusing on unheralded recruits that hopefully stay under the radar of other BCS schools. I also understand that a recruiting relationship is a two way street and there needs to be interest shown from the recruits side as well to pursue the relationship further. With all of the out of state students that come to CU, you cant tell me that there isn't at least a glimmer of interest in some highly recruited players when CU comes calling. We have more to sell recruits on in Boulder than facilities and recent success. I like MMac as a coach, but im not ready to declare him our savior based on the improvements of last year. Sure the team looked better, but there is no way in hell that they could have looked any worse. We now have the basics down, like keeping offsides penalties under 10 a game, but any decent HC with organizational skills would achieve the same thing. We haven't seen enough to determine either way if MMac will be a success at CU. Im not calling for a replacement, I just voiced my concerns as I consider recruiting to be more important in a programs success than any other aspect of a college football coach's job. Some people on this board cant handle any criticism, and I don't understand that view.
Problem is, facilities and recent success are absolutely huge on the recruiting trail, it's not all of it obviously but it's big. We just have to continue to show progress on the field and get to a bowl game, then recruiting will see a serious uptick.

And no one thought the 2012 Buffs would be worse than the 2011 Buffs...welp...

Ummmm what? No one knows anything about any of those teams in '15,'16 etc. But yes there is no reason CU can't reach a bowl game in the upcoming years
Next year (Fall 2014) there is a good chance of going 3-0 in non-conference play. Therefore only 3 wins are needed in the conference to get to a bowl game. Which 3 conference foes do you think the Buffs will beat? At Cal, maybe? Maybe Utah at home? Oregon State at home? The rest are no-hopers.

Fall 2015 there is a good chance of going 4-0 in non-conference play. Again, only 3 wins would be needed in the conference slate for a bowl game. Which 3 conference foes do you think the Buffs will beat? At Utah is the only game I can see a conference win. Perhaps at Washington State?

Fall 2016 the chances of going undefeated in non-conference are slim (road game at Michigan). But there is no road game at Hawaii - so the Buffs only need 6 wins to go to a bowl. Again, what conference foes will CU beat? Utah and Washington State are both in Boulder that year. Perhaps by then Arizona and Arizona State will have new coaches and who knows how Helfrich will be doing in Oregon.

The colonel is restating my point. We could get better, but until some of the other teams in the conference get worse, we will be in the same spot we are in now. That doesn't make MM a bad coach. It means he has a monstrous hole to dig out of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The colonel is restating my point. We could get better, but until some of the other teams in the conference get worse, we will be in the same spot we are in now. That doesn't make MM a bad coach. It means he has a monstrous hole to dig out of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Utah looks like the only Pac12 South school that is floundering at the moment. Everyone else is on the upswing.

Wazzu: 4 conference wins last season. All of which were upsets. But no, the only way CU ever gets better is by waiting for the other teams to suck and then pouncing :rollseyes:

And I do agree it is a big hole to climb out of, just year three and on, bowl contention should not be much of an issue.

We're still a long way from being in a position where we can pull an upset, I'm afraid. But I suppose it could happen. That's why they play the games, right?

Who would be a "minor" upset? Cal on the road? Wazzou? Utah?

Anybody else would be a significant upset, IMO. At least for the next couple years.

Oregon State can be added. That's a full third of the conference. Winning 4-5 games is not very hard in a 12-game schedule.

Oregon State can be added. That's a full third of the conference. Winning 4-5 games is not very hard in a 12-game schedule.

Problem is that most of those teams are in the North, and we won't play OSU, Wazzou and Cal every year. Some years (like 2012), we will only play one of those teams. We replace Cal with Stanford in 2015 and 2016. So we're looking at the possibility of 2015 and 2016 having three OOC games that are wins, three games that will take an upset for us to win, and six games that would take a monumental upset to win. I keep coming back to the idea that we are probably stuck at mediocre or worse for the next 3 years. And none of that has anything to do with MM as a coach. I sure wouldn't fire the guy after a 6-6 year 5.

I wouldn't fire him after a 6-6 season in year five, provided he was actually recruiting in the middle of the conference.

Problem is that most of those teams are in the North, and we won't play OSU, Wazzou and Cal every year. Some years (like 2012), we will only play one of those teams. We replace Cal with Stanford in 2015 and 2016. So we're looking at the possibility of 2015 and 2016 having three OOC games that are wins, three games that will take an upset for us to win, and six games that would take a monumental upset to win. I keep coming back to the idea that we are probably stuck at mediocre or worse for the next 3 years. And none of that has anything to do with MM as a coach. I sure wouldn't fire the guy after a 6-6 year 5.

First order of business is to be at least as talented as Utah with an established depth chart & system like they have. We made progress on that with this recruiting class. And at that talent level, you can compete & win in this conference. Especially if your QB is going well. Utah did whip up on Furd this season.

First order of business is to be at least as talented as Utah with an established depth chart & system like they have. We made progress on that with this recruiting class. And at that talent level, you can compete & win in this conference. Especially if your QB is going well. Utah did whip up on Furd this season.

I don't disagree. I simply see the rest of the conference getting better. They're not standing still, so just "getting at least as talented as Utah" is a moving target.

And I think I see what MM's strategy is. He realizes he's not going to get the 4* and 5* players, so he's going after guys that have the potential to develop into players at that level in another 2-3 years. Fielding a team of 4th and 5th year players, even if they were initially 2* and 3* players, will give you an advantage over a team that has more raw talent, but isn't as experienced. I can't fault him for taking that approach, but it still leads to 2-3 years of crappy football.

I wouldn't fire him after a 6-6 season in year five, provided he was actually recruiting in the middle of the conference.

That's kind of Pinkel territory, no? Some times the continuity benefit takes a little longer.

Anybody who jumps in with "but, but...Embree!" can just shut the **** up now.

That's kind of Pinkel territory, no? Some times the continuity benefit takes a little longer.

Anybody who jumps in with "but, but...Embree!" can just shut the **** up now.

Playing out the hypothetical, you gotta look at a few factors:

1. The facilities are updated at that point.
2. MacIntyre would have already received a contract extension (no one lets a coach coach a true lame duck year).
3. His assistant salary pool will likely still be competitive.

You then have to ask what more does the coach need to recruit better? The facilities and wins are there.

2. MacIntyre would have already received a contract extension (no one lets a coach coach a true lame duck year).

You then have to ask what more does the coach need to recruit better? The facilities and wins are there.

Concur.

Phil D. Disagrees with you.

Hawkins was signed through 2012 when he was fired.

Yeah, you're right, but what about Ricardo Patton? Ha, got you there.

When it comes to bad administrative moves, you can always find at least one example in recent CU history.

He finished 5th in the 4A 100 m at the Colorado State Track and Field Championships with a time of 11.01.

Back