What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'14 CO ATH Kalen Ballage (Signed to Arizona State)

JMHO, but I think the hole is too deep to see any appreciable improvement by year three. I don't think a lot of us fans fully comprehend how deep this hole really is, and how much has to happen before we can pull out of it. Hawkins set us back three years. Embree set us back another five. I honestly think we are looking at 2017 or 2018.[/QUOTE]

thats a lot of Sackygates

JMHO, but I think the hole is too deep to see any appreciable improvement by year three. I don't think a lot of us fans fully comprehend how deep this hole really is, and how much has to happen before we can pull out of it. Hawkins set us back three years. Embree set us back another five. I honestly think we are looking at 2017 or 2018.

Fatty is going to freak out.

Semper Gumby

Year 5 for MacIntyre before we are finally able to reach 8 wins? No thanks

Give a better option.

I'm not interested in somebody who comes in an sacrifices our future for one quick flash of "glory" meaning 8-9 wins and a middle level bowl followed by a quick trip out of town and probation while the team goes back to the bottom.

The only other way is to take some time and build it right.

When was the last time we went 5-4 in conference? Did Hawkins ever do it or are we going back to a Barnett year? Shouldn't take five years, but it's going to take more than two and probably three. Yeah, it's going to suck. We are building from the absolute bottom floor and need some of the better programs to regress to their mean. My bet is on ASU and maybe fUCLA depending who replaces Mora from the south. Mike Riley could retire someday and we shall see if it was Petersen or Boise State. Maybe Stanford too. Shaw still recruiting well, but jury still out imo. Cal, they just hired their Hawkins.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I would consider a bowl game in year 3 appreciable improvement. If MacIntyre is the right guy, then that's what we should expect. No bowl in year 4 means termination.

When was the last time we went 5-4 in conference? Did Hawkins ever do it or are we going back to a Barnett year? Shouldn't take five years, but it's going to take more than two and probably three. Yeah, it's going to suck. We are building from the absolute bottom floor and need some of the better programs to regress to their mean. My bet is on ASU and maybe fUCLA depending who replaces Mora from the south. Mike Riley could retire someday and we shall see if it was Petersen or Boise State. Maybe Stanford too. Shaw still recruiting well, but jury still out imo. Cal, they just hired their Hawkins.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Our rebuilding effort is going to be hampered by the fact there are some really good coaches in the PAC 12 right now. I miss Erickson, Stoops, Neuheisel, and Kiffin.

The rest of the conference is improving as fast or faster than we are. No matter how good MM is, he's fighting an uphill battle. If the rest of the conference was a bunch of schlubs, it would be easier. But they're not. We have to climb over people that are ahead of us. This is the result of years of mismanagement. It took us years to get into this spot, it's going to take years to get out. I'm concerned about the lack of patience from some folks here. It shows a lack of understanding of the task we have in front of us.

The rest of the conference is improving as fast or faster than we are. No matter how good MM is, he's fighting an uphill battle. If the rest of the conference was a bunch of schlubs, it would be easier. But they're not. We have to climb over people that are ahead of us. This is the result of years of mismanagement. It took us years to get into this spot, it's going to take years to get out. I'm concerned about the lack of patience from some folks here. It shows a lack of understanding of the task we have in front of us.

Agreed. It is a deep, deep, hole.

Awesome. I really don't care what fatty thinks. He is not the end all be all of recruiting. While his expectations are admirable and is what we SHOULD be at, they are just not realistic.

Fatty is going to freak the **** out.

I can see 8 wins being a tough barrier to break through, just doubt we need to wait until year six of MacIntyre to know whether we have the right coach or not. That is not impatience so much as being practical.

The great thing about college football though is that teams rise and fall ever year. Will the Arizona schools be able to hire coaches as good once Graham and Rodriguez leave? What happens to OSU when Riley retires?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can see 8 wins being a tough barrier to break through, just doubt we need to wait until year six of MacIntyre to know whether we have the right coach or not. That is not impatience so much as being practical.

I think there's a difference between knowing we have the right coach and being where we would like to be as a program. 10 years ago, 8 wins was the norm, not some lofty hard-to-reach goal. I still get the sense from a lot of folks here that they'd be disappointed in a six win season in MM's fifth year. I just don't know that expecting much more than that is reasonable, given where we are as a program today. In essence, we have to depend on other teams getting worse in order to do that. Maybe some will, but that's not the trajectory of the conference as we sit here today.

Six wins in year five would be disappointing because that would be a losing season. If a coach is going into year six with no winning seasons at the school, the jury is still very much out IMO.

6 wins in year 5? After he has recruited 100% of the roster with brand new facilities. Yes, I would call that disappointing
I think there's a difference between knowing we have the right coach and being where we would like to be as a program. 10 years ago, 8 wins was the norm, not some lofty hard-to-reach goal. I still get the sense from a lot of folks here that they'd be disappointed in a six win season in MM's fifth year. I just don't know that expecting much more than that is reasonable, given where we are as a program today. In essence, we have to depend on other teams getting worse in order to do that. Maybe some will, but that's not the trajectory of the conference as we sit here today.

The great thing about college football though is that teams rise and fall ever year. Will the Arizona schools be able to hire coaches as good once Graham and Rodriguez leave? What happens to OSU when Riley retires?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a good point. How long ago were we looking at Cal as an up and coming program that people thought would be a yearly bowl team. Didn't take long for that to crumble? How many times have people thought UCLA was on the verge of becoming a perenial national power? We know that SC is going to be there, even a Kiffen couldn't do that much damage to them but a lot of the other schools in the conference have their potential weaknesses.

Not counting on any of them falling but it is certainly a possibility.

Th

Fatty is going to freak out.

Semper Gumby

I'm too numb to freak out. I never had too high expectations with MMac, I just don't think our head to head recruiting is acceptable. I don't expect a roster of 4 and 5 stars, I expect to win recruiting battles with mid level BCS teams for recruits that we want, though. This staff seems to shy away from recruiting competion, and rely too much on finding overlooked players. Reading comprehension is not a strong suit with a lot of people on AllBuffs.

You have become insufferable since you became a recruiting expert.
I have to agree with 'Tini on this one. I think this staff is opposite of your assessment. I don't get that sense at all, based off of the offers they've made last year and this year (they just didn't win many battles). The inroads they have already made in-state and in California are also starting to show. Are they going after over looked players? Yes, every School does. We have such a small view (one full recruiting class) to make this case.

You could be right, in the long run, but I think we will find out soon enough (2015 recruiting class) if they have what it takes on the recruiting trail. For my sanity, I hope you are dead wrong.

Last edited:
I don't expect a roster of 4 and 5 stars, I expect to win recruiting battles with mid level BCS teams for recruits that we want, though.

Dirty little secret. CU hasn't won but maybe a couple of these recruiting battles since 2008, including this class. Offers in profile lists aren't necessarily indicative of a recruiting battle. Recruiting will improve once the absolute sh8t kickings cease and CU competes on the field. 2013 was better, 2014 needs to be better than 2013. Slow build and patience unfortunately.

I have to agree with 'Tini on this one. I think this staff is opposite of your assessment. I don't get that sense at all, based off of the offers they've made last year and this year (they just didn't win many battles). The inroads they have already made in-state and in California are also starting to show. Are they going after over looked players? Yes, every School does. We have such a small view (one full recruiting class) to make this case.

You could be right, in the long run, but I think we will find out soon enough (2015 recruiting class) if they have what it takes on the recruiting trail. For my sanity, I hope you are dead wrong.
I hope I am wrong, too. Admittedly, a lot of my opinion with regard to targets doesn't come from anything other than my impression. I know that they offered a lot of highly regarded recruits, but it doesn't seem that they got much past that stage before focusing on unheralded recruits that hopefully stay under the radar of other BCS schools. I also understand that a recruiting relationship is a two way street and there needs to be interest shown from the recruits side as well to pursue the relationship further. With all of the out of state students that come to CU, you cant tell me that there isn't at least a glimmer of interest in some highly recruited players when CU comes calling. We have more to sell recruits on in Boulder than facilities and recent success. I like MMac as a coach, but im not ready to declare him our savior based on the improvements of last year. Sure the team looked better, but there is no way in hell that they could have looked any worse. We now have the basics down, like keeping offsides penalties under 10 a game, but any decent HC with organizational skills would achieve the same thing. We haven't seen enough to determine either way if MMac will be a success at CU. Im not calling for a replacement, I just voiced my concerns as I consider recruiting to be more important in a programs success than any other aspect of a college football coach's job. Some people on this board cant handle any criticism, and I don't understand that view.

I would consider a bowl game in year 3 appreciable improvement. If MacIntyre is the right guy, then that's what we should expect. No bowl in year 4 means termination.

Next year (Fall 2014) there is a good chance of going 3-0 in non-conference play. Therefore only 3 wins are needed in the conference to get to a bowl game. Which 3 conference foes do you think the Buffs will beat? At Cal, maybe? Maybe Utah at home? Oregon State at home? The rest are no-hopers.

Fall 2015 there is a good chance of going 4-0 in non-conference play. Again, only 3 wins would be needed in the conference slate for a bowl game. Which 3 conference foes do you think the Buffs will beat? At Utah is the only game I can see a conference win. Perhaps at Washington State?

Fall 2016 the chances of going undefeated in non-conference are slim (road game at Michigan). But there is no road game at Hawaii - so the Buffs only need 6 wins to go to a bowl. Again, what conference foes will CU beat? Utah and Washington State are both in Boulder that year. Perhaps by then Arizona and Arizona State will have new coaches and who knows how Helfrich will be doing in Oregon.

Back