What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'14 CO PG Josh Perkins (Verbal to Gonzaga)

Perkins has a chance to be a elite player (in that 11-25 range or so) by the end of 2013 summer he will be hearing from all the major programs out west and big time schools in big 12/acc/sec. While Xavier Johnson and Scott are nice he is at another level. CU is out in front and has a good chance of pulling him in but it won't be easy as his recruiting is starting to only get off the surface, Tom did a great job getting on him early.

I'm hoping Mr. Perkins was able to watch some of our run to the Charleston Classic championship. Good things happening with basketball in Boulder!

I think they come to a quite a few games, have been for a while now. I may have been mistaken, but I am pretty sure I saw him and Collier a quite a bit the last year.

It's gotta be getting harder and harder for Perkins and Collier to walk out of the Keg after a game like yesterday without committing. They've both spent a lot of time around the program and seen the growth over the last couple of years. Hopefully drawing 11k+ for AFA made another big impression!

He dropped 39. I went to it to support my friends on Columbine. Damn does Perkins look good. He is a must for the class of 2014. He was only 1 of 10 from three...

Went to see the Overland vs Regis Game tonight. '16 De'Ron Davis and '14 Josh Perkins were playing in the game.

De'Ron Davis - 6'8" freshman, is a physical specimen. Wasn't featured as a post player and actually had a negligible impact on the game. Has a nice soft shot and tends to try to face up on the few opportunities he was given the ball on offense. Only once did he get the opportunity and spacing to get the ball in the block and had a reasonable little post move and baby hook. Overall, I was impressed. Good demeanor, can jump out of the gym, coachable absolutely. I would have liked to see him rip the ball rebounding a little more aggressively, but hey, the kid is so young and is an incredible physical talent. Will only develop as time goes on...

Josh Perkins - 6'3" junior. So this is just my uneducated observers opinion, but I was a little disappointed in Perkins. At third watching he seemed a little disinterested and pouty in his demeanor. Mouthed off a couple times and reluctantly got teammates involved when only absolutely necessary. Of course this was the least talented Jesuit team of recent memory. Shoots the ball nicely and would love to see him develop a mid range game: right now its a pull up three or all-the-way to the rim. Draws contact at the rim nicely and gets to the foul line a lot, but I'd like to see him develop a left hand finish as he relies on a right hand finish when driving down the left part of the lane. Not overly impressive hops, but really nice nice handles and does a wonderful job of recognizing/passing out of double teams. I don't think he's an elite prospect (i.e. Kansas/Carolina), but he's still young and has the physical tools if he is given structure and develops a taste for defense/hustle. Might be a touch high in ranking. Of course I'm being very critical. Would love to see him at CU: Tad would be great for Josh.

Overland won by 15 or so, Overland has a nice ball club with some young talent. Should be good for the next three years, even if De'Ron was out of the equation. Regis doesn't have much and relies on Perkins to basically win the game for them.

Last edited:
Slider posted in Collier's thread that Perkins is a strong Kansas lean right now. With the big freshman class in Lawrence, I thought I'd take a look at scholarship numbers for 2014. Right now, Kansas is full. With no attrition, they'll have 1 junior, 7 sophomores, and 5 freshman next year. Also, nbadraft.net currently projects McLemore as the only early entry candidate in that freshman class. I don't think anyone would be surprised to see a transfer or two out of that class though. In either case, it looks to be a likely one or two man class for KU, unless they nab a one and done talent this year. So what does that mean for Perkins?

1. Kansas must really like him. They should be in a position to be very selective with scholarships next year and their offer list is littered with 5 star talent. It says something about Perkins if they'll take a commitment this early.

2. That offer may not be out there long. I don't know enough about the interest level from some of the other prospects, but it looks like an early commit, especially from a guard, could close that door pretty quickly.

Slider posted in Collier's thread that Perkins is a strong Kansas lean right now. With the big freshman class in Lawrence, I thought I'd take a look at scholarship numbers for 2014. Right now, Kansas is full. With no attrition, they'll have 1 junior, 7 sophomores, and 5 freshman next year. Also, nbadraft.net currently projects McLemore as the only early entry candidate in that freshman class. I don't think anyone would be surprised to see a transfer or two out of that class though. In either case, it looks to be a likely one or two man class for KU, unless they nab a one and done talent this year. So what does that mean for Perkins?

1. Kansas must really like him. They should be in a position to be very selective with scholarships next year and their offer list is littered with 5 star talent. It says something about Perkins if they'll take a commitment this early.

2. That offer may not be out there long. I don't know enough about the interest level from some of the other prospects, but it looks like an early commit, especially from a guard, could close that door pretty quickly.

KU has 11 players committed through the 2014 season, assuming McLemore leaves early, which is a safe assumption. I agree with your second point. While Perkins might have an offer from KU now, that doesn't mean the same offer will be there if a higher ranked PG from 2014 commits. Unfortunately, KU has pretty much struck out on landing the blue chipper one-and-done type recruits, since the Selby fiasco.

I dunno how quickly Perkins is planning to commit. Would he commit with a top program before going through the process of official visits and the like? No way to really know as recruits commit earlier then expected all the time, but I would think not or he would have already

Wow, KU really wants him if they send Self to watch him play.

If Boyle can beat out KU for a recruit, that would be his best recruiting job ever.

I disagree. Have to be willing to go head to head with the big boys in recruiting, sometimes. Not saying that Colorado should focus all of their attention on Perkins by any stretch, but to just give up on him would look bad. Most top talents are going to have top teams after them.

At the same time, bad timing for CU. I'm guessing they didn't send anyone big to the game, as their players and staff are in Washington now. Where as KU had a game Monday, and could send their head coach to the game.

Gotta agree with Roland and tini here. No way do you concede Perkins because Kansas is recruiting him. We've been on him longer than anyone, he has good relationships with the staff and has spent a lot of time on campus. This is where you double-down and make a statement. Besides, with Arizona and UCLA offers in hand, you could use the same logic to take a pass on Collier too.

Plus, and this is something that keeps getting lost, they're completely different types of players. You get both and you play them together. You don't give up on one to go after the other. You're better off comparing Perkins to someone like Casey Benson than Collier.

Plus, and this is something that keeps getting lost, they're completely different types of players. You get both and you play them together. You don't give up on one to go after the other. You're better off comparing Perkins to someone like Casey Benson than Collier.

I don't think people are saying we can't get both because they're both guards. It's more that they are being constantly compared to each other, and that sometimes turns ugly. I think both players don't want that at the next level and just want to be able to do their own thing. Sure would have been amazing to watch though

In other news, Perkins cut his schools down to 9 today. Scout and Rivals have premium stories on it, I believe:

Colorado Miners ‏@ColoradoMiners
@JoshPerkins03 list reduced to 9 schools CU,Duke,Kansas,Stanford,AriZona,Minn,NewMex, Denver, Gonzaga

Re: '14 CO PG Josh Perkins

I don't think people are saying we can't get both because they're both guards. It's more that they are being constantly compared to each other, and that sometimes turns ugly. I think both players don't want that at the next level and just want to be able to do their own thing. Sure would have been amazing to watch though

In other news, Perkins cut his schools down to 9 today. Scout and Rivals have premium stories on it, I believe:

Colorado Miners ‏@ColoradoMiners
@JoshPerkins03 list reduced to 9 schools CU,Duke,Kansas,Stanford,AriZona,Minn,NewMex, Denver, Gonzaga

Funny he has Denver on the list and not CSU. The list might actually be in order.

Now #28 overall on Scout and getting close to getting that fifth star.

Back