What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'14 UT DE Sam Bennion (Signed to COLORADO)

'14 UT DE Sam Bennion (verbal to COLORADO)

So will he actually count for the 2014 class? If he goes on a 2 year mission won't he be a 2016 recruit?

yes can we get some clarity here?

If he enrolls in 2014, he will be a 2014. Religious Missions count the same as Military Service, meaning they do not count against your eligibility.

It is not unusual for a Utah kid to want to leave the state, but that's usually reserved for the non-LDS kids. Kids who go on missions tend to want to go to BYU first, the U second. Especially after completion of said mission. With that said, a lot of kids who go elsewhere, tend not to ever get around to taking that mission.

Will be interesting to see what his story is when it's out of the bag.

I also seem to recall reading at some point that this guy was into Aerospace Engineering stuff, IIRC. Logan Utah is a big Space community as they have the Utah State Space Dynamics Lab Corp there.

Space Dyanmics Lab does a lot of cool mission work much like Colorado's spinout does. Colorado is the CLEAR leader though in Space Mission work so if this kid grew up in that environment and is really into a career in Space/Science, he may be coming to Colorado regardless, as it's the #1 curriculum for him.

I also seem to recall reading at some point that this guy was into Aerospace Engineering stuff, IIRC. Logan Utah is a big Space community as they have the Utah State Space Dynamics Lab Corp there.

Space Dyanmics Lab does a lot of cool mission work much like Colorado's spinout does. Colorado is the CLEAR leader though in Space Mission work so if this kid grew up in that environment and is really into a career in Space/Science, he may be coming to Colorado regardless, as it's the #1 curriculum for him.

Zach Brown is a DE who wants to do aerospace too, right? Hope it helps keep Sam here should he choose to do the mission first!

Thiokol also has a huge facility in Promontory.

So how does that work exactly? He is on campus next year and likely RS. Than does his scholarship become available while he is on his mission? Than he comes back and he is back on scholarship.

this.

So how does that work exactly? He is on campus next year and likely RS. Than does his scholarship become available while he is on his mission? Than he comes back and he is back on scholarship.

Looks like now he may go straight to the mission. Either way his scholly only counts against our 85 while he is on campus and recieving financial benefits. The two years he spends on his mission that slot is available to use for another player.

My concern is what happens on his mission. Some guys get sent to a place where they have an opportunity to continue working out and eating well putting on the lbs. I work with a guy who is LDS and went to BYU, had football players in his dorm. Talked about the guy who got a mission in Orem Utah and gained 45lbs. Also talked about the guy who did a mission to Africa or someplace like that and came back 20lbs lighter. Don't have a clue how they decide who goes where.

Looks like now he may go straight to the mission. Either way his scholly only counts against our 85 while he is on campus and recieving financial benefits. The two years he spends on his mission that slot is available to use for another player.

My concern is what happens on his mission. Some guys get sent to a place where they have an opportunity to continue working out and eating well putting on the lbs. I work with a guy who is LDS and went to BYU, had football players in his dorm. Talked about the guy who got a mission in Orem Utah and gained 45lbs. Also talked about the guy who did a mission to Africa or someplace like that and came back 20lbs lighter. Don't have a clue how they decide who goes where.
Not sure that is a huge problem though. If he came back not ready to play I assume HCMM could rescind the scholarship. Besides not sure how binding a commitment is if he won't join the team until 2016 anyway.

Yes, the info was incorrect earlier. Straight to the mission.

But this counts for this class (feel free to correct me, but that's how I understand it)

Believe LDS just adjusted their mission age by a year. Not sure if anyone here cares to enlighten me?

Last edited:
I don't have a sub to any of boards other than AllBuffs.
Has he stated specifically that he will go on a mission?

Just because Sam is from Utah doesn't instantly make him eligible for a 2 year mission
He'll, he could be a Baptist looking for a destination that doesn't enforce blue laws

Did a little research. It looks like the NLI is binding upon recruits who sign their Letter and then go on a mission before enrolling -- as long as the school still has the scholarship available when they get back.

How is the NLI declared null and void?

One-Year Absence.
- Signee does not enroll (two-year or four-year institution) for at least one academic year and
the scholarship (in its same amount) is no longer available. Also applies to a signee who serves in
the U.S. Armed Forces or Church Mission for one year. NLI remains binding if the scholarship (in
its same amount) is available.

Quick Reference Guide to the NLI 2013-14

Also, Bennion will count toward the 25 signee limit for the 2014 class (no issues for CU there), but won't count toward the 85 scholarship roster limit until 2016.

That specifically says one year, but missions are two years, yes? Armed service commitments are longer still. That rule needs some lawyering.

That specifically says one year, but missions are two years, yes? Armed service commitments are longer still. That rule needs some lawyering.

The title is "One-Year Absence." The text of the rule says "at least one year," so it seems the letter of intent is binding for an indeterminate amount of time more than one year.

Fact and fiction

Did a little research. It looks like the NLI is binding upon recruits who sign their Letter and then go on a mission before enrolling -- as long as the school still has the scholarship available when they get back.

How is the NLI declared null and void?

One-Year Absence.
- Signee does not enroll (two-year or four-year institution) for at least one academic year and
the scholarship (in its same amount) is no longer available. Also applies to a signee who serves in
the U.S. Armed Forces or Church Mission for one year. NLI remains binding if the scholarship (in
its same amount) is available.

Quick Reference Guide to the NLI 2013-14

Also, Bennion will count toward the 25 signee limit for the 2014 class (no issues for CU there), but won't count toward the 85 scholarship roster limit until 2016.

LDS Church did change the mission age to 19 to allow young men graduating from highschool to go do their church thing right after highschool.

Many return missionaries have de-committed. BYU is good at landing a few kid who were LDS, went on missions and then returned and were at a position of need. Riley Nelson, their QB last year transfered from USU to BYU in this fashion.

For every kid that has done this, there are probably 10 who stayed with the school of their choice.

I am not LDS, but work and live surrounded by this culture, so have learned some of this. Also, Utah sports radio devotes about 60% of their time to college sports, so you get to follow this alot as a sports fan living here.

Finally, if your going to make a bet on a kid, an LDS kid often comes from a well rooted family structure. They are kids, and can do dumb stuff like any kid, but in general they have grown up in an environment that is alot more structured than most. This would seem to fit well with a sense of honor associated with letter of intent.

The title is "One-Year Absence." The text of the rule says "at least one year," so it seems the letter of intent is binding for an indeterminate amount of time more than one year.

"Also applies to a signee who serves in the U.S. Armed Forces or Church Mission for one year."

The LDS eligibility age requirement has been 19 for quite some time; it was the same when I lived in yootah in the mid-80's. Of course, this is a minimum age requirement.

Your point about the home structure and family-oriented values is true. They are usually some very well grounded young individuals.

The LDS eligibility age requirement has been 19 for quite some time; it was the same when I lived in yootah in the mid-80's. Of course, this is a minimum age requirement.

Your point about the home structure and family-oriented values is true. They are usually some very well grounded young individuals.

Changed this year to 18 from 19. Mission is still 2 years.

I keep getting error messages when I try to amend my original post, so just replied to you.

Edit is broken again. however, there is absolutely nothing wrong with this commit since it doesn't really affect our class this year at all.

Changed this year to 18 from 19. Mission is still 2 years.

I keep getting error messages when I try to amend my original post, so just replied to you.

Interesting. I guess they we're losing too many potential missionaries during that one year after hs.

Back