What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'15 CO OT Dillon Middlemiss (Signed to COLORADO)

I was really happy to see how well he measured on his visit. Getting another legit tackle prospect on campus early makes me even happier about next year's OL.

I was really happy to see how well he measured on his visit. Getting another legit tackle prospect on campus early makes me even happier about next year's OL.
Yep. Another guy for spring practices helps push a guy like Josh Kaiser. Spring practices are in large part about building depth, so we need some competition at OT.

I really like what I've seen from our OL recruiting the last couple years. Good, solid depth and not a lot of holes in the classes.
We had the most YPG rushing last year since like 2004. With all our backs returning and the OL getting better, I see the O getting better next year. If we had even an average D, I see a minimum of 5 wins. That's a big if on D since we have less talent and depth on that side of the ball.

We had the most YPG rushing last year since like 2004. With all our backs returning and the OL getting better, I see the O getting better next year. If we had even an average D, I see a minimum of 5 wins. That's a big if on D since we have less talent and depth on that side of the ball.
1. All our backs are NOT returning. ToJo is gone.
2. We do have an exciting new back coming.
2. This correction in no way decreases the validity of your post.

2007 we had more yards rushing, but still, I didn't realize how much of an improvement we had this year in the running game.

Can we count EEs toward last year's recruiting numbers?

Maybe that would help free up a spot for this year's class

You can but yearly limits aren't our issue. Our problem right now is the 85 man limit which he would count against no matter which year he is counted in.

Early enrollment won't cause any issue in that regard though. Glad to have him in early.

Yes, Middlemiss can be counted back. And they'll count back as many as possible.

But the 25 signee limit per recruiting year isn't really the issue. What's causing the numbers issue is the overall limit of 85 scholarship football players. We can't get to 25 in this class without significant attrition from the current roster.

Yes, Middlemiss can be counted back. And they'll count back as many as possible.

But the 25 signee limit per recruiting year isn't really the issue. What's causing the numbers issue is the overall limit of 85 scholarship football players. We can't get to 25 in this class without significant attrition from the current roster.

How do you count a guy in a class while he is still in high school?

How do you count a guy in a class while he is still in high school?

It's a little wonky. If Middlemiss enrolls in January (just like the JUCOs), they can count with the NCAA as being part of the 2014 class or 2015 class. CU gets to choose where to count them. Similarly, our greyshirts from last year (Watanabe and Miller) can be counted either in 2014 or 2015.

It's a little wonky. If Middlemiss enrolls in January (just like the JUCOs), they can count with the NCAA as being part of the 2014 class or 2015 class. CU gets to choose where to count them. Similarly, our greyshirts from last year (Watanabe and Miller) can be counted either in 2014 or 2015.

Whats the purpose of the greyshirt if you're going to count the kid against last years class?

Class balance and having that 6th year basically can be extremely valuable for a linemen

If you count it against last years class, you don't get that 6th year. If you count it against last years class, you may as well have had the kid enroll.

If you count it against last years class, you don't get that 6th year. If you count it against last years class, you may as well have had the kid enroll.

No, counting against the class count doesn't start the eligibility clock. That only starts with actual enrollment. Since he wasn't enrolled during the fall season that doesn't count against his clock.

You don't actually get a sixth year but what you do get is an extra season of development of campus followed by an extra spring training.

Middlemiss won't get the extra year of development because he will be an early enroller, he will get the extra spring training and more time with the S&C staff as well as a chance to get ahead academically.

Last edited:
Getting ahead academically is great because it means he'll be able to take a smaller schedule. Combine that with possible summer classes and he might be looking at 2 classes a semester.

Getting ahead academically is great because it means he'll be able to take a smaller schedule. Combine that with possible summer classes and he might be looking at 2 classes a semester.

I think you still have to be a full time student so 12 hours (4 classes)

Didn't MM give up all available 2014 schollies to worthy walkons?

We were under 85. He had some extras heading into the season. Walk ons awarded scholarships count back to the class of 25 that their enrollment would relate to.

There's no way that's right. Matt Leinart famously took only ballroom dancing during his senior season.

I believe that he was able to do that because it was his 5th year and only needed 2 credits to graduate. I think that you probably need to be full time, but the last semester may be different.

iirc, Manziel was an underclassmen taking a light load of online classes his final semester. I believe that the rule is that the student-athlete must be taking enough credits to keep him on schedule to achieve a degree within 5 years.

iirc, Manziel was an underclassmen taking a light load of online classes his final semester. I believe that the rule is that the student-athlete must be taking enough credits to keep him on schedule to achieve a degree within 5 years.

Think you are right. Also think it gets evaluated after the fact so guys who know that they are coming out early might go extra light. Think that was the case with Capri Bibbs from CSU a couple years ago. He had put himself into a position where he couldn't have come back had he wanted to because he wouldn't have had enough credit to be eligible. (lots of rumor said)

Big thing is that with a kid who is obviously bright and academically motivated with an early HS graduation like Dillon getting that extra semester gives some added flexibility. He can go a little lighter in fall semester, not only taking a few less credits but also avoiding those classes that are more time consuming if he so chooses.

He could also work it along with summer classes to get an early degree letting him get some grad school paid for as well if he were to choose to do so.

It also means that he has a head start on the adjustment from HS to college making it easier to concentrate on both football and school when fall rolls around.

Lots of win in this situation for the kid.

Last edited:
Biggest win here is that he can participate in spring drills. Good for him, good for the team.

Along with Miller coming off the GS, that will give us 2 true frosh OLs participating this spring. 14 scholarship OLs plus at least 4 walk ons (assuming Carr, Caldwell, Ariva and Darby all return). Buffs will almost be able to run 4 complete OL groups this spring, so we should have 3 groups every practice even with injury and/or disciplinary stuff happening on any given day. They should have at least a 3-deep across the DL to work against, too. Gonna be great.

Along with Miller coming off the GS, that will give us 2 true frosh OLs participating this spring. 14 scholarship OLs plus at least 4 walk ons (assuming Carr, Caldwell, Ariva and Darby all return). Buffs will almost be able to run 4 complete OL groups this spring, so we should have 3 groups every practice even with injury and/or disciplinary stuff happening on any given day. They should have at least a 3-deep across the DL to work against, too. Gonna be great.

They should be able to run a true spring game finally. It has been quite some time since we have had that kind of usable depth.

Biggest win here is that he can participate in spring drills. Good for him, good for the team.

Mentioned that earlier in the thread.

Spring training is huge for young players because they are able to get the individual coaching and attention that isn't available in the fall.

In fall between recruiting and getting their front line guys ready for games younger guys who are down the depth chart or RSing don't get much focus from the position coaches. By being there in spring he can get that individual attention and the reps that will allow him to better understand and learn from what happens in the fall even if he isn't on the depth chart.

Back