What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'15 TX QB Steven Montez (Signed to COLORADO)

The article says his coach is predicting Montez to come in and push for playing time right away. I think that's unlikely. Sefo probably has nearly 100% of the playbook inside his head by now. That kind of knowledge takes some time to establish. Ideally, Montez gets a redshirt year and a RS freshman season to fully acclimate to college life and learn the system before stepping in year 3 and playing at a high level.

The article says his coach is predicting Montez to come in and push for playing time right away. I think that's unlikely. Sefo probably has nearly 100% of the playbook inside his head by now. That kind of knowledge takes some time to establish. Ideally, Montez gets a redshirt year and a RS freshman season to fully acclimate to college life and learn the system before stepping in year 3 and playing at a high level.

We have to get to a point where we are automatically RSing incoming QBs. If he catches on quick and is as good as we hope he is he may then begin competing for a back-up job in his second year as a RS frosh and be a legit starting contender for his RS Soph year.

Hopefully we've gotten to a point where our QB position, with Sefo, Awini, and Gehrke, is deep enough so that Montez can redshirt. He really doesn't need to burn a year of eligibility on 2015. Then, as Buffnik says, he can fill out and work on some fundamentals.

Hopefully we've gotten to a point where our QB position, with Sefo, Awini, and Gehrke, is deep enough so that Montez can redshirt. He really doesn't need to burn a year of eligibility on 2015. Then, as Buffnik says, he can fill out and work on some fundamentals.

A. You forgot Apsay.

B. Awini?

C. Wut

Oh, right, Apsay. We should be plenty deep so that Montez doesn't need to burn a year. Do you not know who Jaleel Awini is? What wut?
I wouldn't consider Gehrke and Aspay as us being deep. They really haven't proven anything yet, and from what I've seen in games and practice, they didn't look very impressive to me...you know, I am an expert in these things like everyone else :lol:

If he's better than the rest, then play him. I'm excited he's on board. Go Buffs!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Montez needs to get bigger. Redshirt year will be necessary. But he is potentially a change of pace guy as a RS FR. I am not as high on him as others, but upside is definitely there and that is okay considering where we stood when he committed.

I believe he redshirts next year and challenges for the starting position as a RS Frosh. I also believe he has a legit shot to be a 3 year starter.

1. He's got to get in the weight room to fill out that frame.

2. Some mechanics can be improved for accuracy and quickness of release.

That's where I'd expect our coaches to focus his first year along with just getting him acclimated and into the playbook.

Is it safe to assume he redshirts?

Is it safe to assume he redshirts?

I wouldn't assume anything. Just as it was likely Sefo would redshirt but it didn't happen that way. Injuries and other things happen. Sometimes a freshman is a revelation once he gets on the CU practice field.

He could be a 3 year starter, but that would mean he doesn't start until his 3rd year, once Sefo is gone.
I have been outspoken in the past about not giving Sefo a guaranteed slot as our starting QB. Yes he set some records but he also has been turnover prone and has missed too many open receivers (especially deep balls). He is also not as mobile as Assay and Montez.

I think HCMM proved he was willing to replace Sefo if he felt he wasn't performing at a high enough level. We just haven't had anyone better than Sefo. Apsay could be and I believe Montez will be although doubtful as a true frosh.

I have been outspoken in the past about not giving Sefo a guaranteed slot as our starting QB. Yes he set some records but he also has been turnover prone and has missed too many open receivers (especially deep balls). He is also not as mobile as Assay and Montez.

I think HCMM proved he was willing to replace Sefo if he felt he wasn't performing at a high enough level. We just haven't had anyone better than Sefo. Apsay could be and I believe Montez will be although doubtful as a true frosh.
There will be full competition in the Spring and probably fall. I have no doubt about it.

Montez's size and mobility(potential) could really be an asset to an offense that can spin its wheels at times. Like Jones last night, it's nice to have a QB that's a threat to run when it's 3rd and 6 and nobody's open.

Montez's size and mobility(potential) could really be an asset to an offense that can spin its wheels at times. Like Jones last night, it's nice to have a QB that's a threat to run when it's 3rd and 6 and nobody's open.

Like Jones? I am impressed with Montez, but wouldn't he have to gain 80 pounds or so to be like Jones?

50ish. Probably won't happen, and I don't think it should.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Jones is huge, an unusual athlete. Usually you can tell the QB from the OL without looking at the jersey number.

If MM doesn't open the QB position to all comers this offseason we be proper fooked.

All I know is that if Montez actually comes in to fall camp and steals the starting job from Sefo, things will be looking very good for the offense in 2015.

All I know is that if Montez actually comes in to fall camp and steals the starting job from Sefo, things will be looking very good for the offense in 2015.
If Montez comes in and steals the starting job, that means we are ****ed. Because the only way that happens is if something bad happened.

If Montez comes in and steals the starting job, that means we are ****ed. Because the only way that happens is if something bad happened.

Not at all - Peterson has come out and said that Miles' job isn't safe and his biggest competition next year is a true freshman. That being said, Browning did enroll early.

Back