What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'15 TX QB Steven Montez (Signed to COLORADO)

Crazy thing with going over 1,000 yards rushing with 14 TDs is that the coach made a concerted effort to keep a tight rein and avoid him risking injury by running a lot.

Montez is really good in the open field. Reminds me of Travis Wilson.

Travis Wilson runs like he has an anchor in his pants. I hope he is quicker than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is big. QBs who run a lot eventually take the kinds of hits that put them on the sidelines, you want a QB who can use his legs to allow recievers to come open and let them take the hits.

At the same time having a QB who is a threat to run, a threat to burn a defense running changes the entire way they play. Montez looks like he is developing into this kind of guy.

The perfect example is Russell Wilson in the NFL. He doesn't run very often, not like an RG3 or a Kappernick. He does run just often enough and so effectively that even though he isn't doing it that often defenses have to always be aware of it.

Except Wilson has run more times than both this season...

I like how Aaron Rodgers plays. He doesn't run much but he's very capable of it. People are scared to death when he starts moving around, then he'll scramble for 20. It really depends whether you wanna feature your qb running in your O.

Having a mobile quarterback helps create mismatches. It makes the defense account for all 11 offensive players instead of 10.

Except Wilson has run more times than both this season...

RG3 would be way ahead of him in rushing attempts if he could stay healthy and on the field. He hasn't played most of the season.

Kap has 78 carries for 353, Wilson has 91 for 679. What those stats don't show and I don't know where the stats on it would come from but I've seen both play a couple times this year and I saw Kap take some solid shots, Wilson managed to avoid anything that looked like solid shots. Kap ran into traffic, Wilson away from it.

RG3 would be way ahead of him in rushing attempts if he could stay healthy and on the field. He hasn't played most of the season.

Kap has 78 carries for 353, Wilson has 91 for 679. What those stats don't show and I don't know where the stats on it would come from but I've seen both play a couple times this year and I saw Kap take some solid shots, Wilson managed to avoid anything that looked like solid shots. Kap ran into traffic, Wilson away from it.
Seattle doesn't run many designed QB runs. Most of Wilson's yardage comes from him scrambling. He is very good at that.

Seattle doesn't run many designed QB runs. Most of Wilson's yardage comes from him scrambling. He is very good at that.

Which goes to my point.

Wilson's running is not a significant part of the planned offense. It is something though that happens often enough that defenses have to always be aware of it. Turn your back and run with the recievers and he is likely to tuck the ball down and run into the space vacated picking up a first down before getting out of bounds or sliding down prior to the contact. He has taken some hits but is very good at minimizing them.

I like how mobile QBs keep pass rushers honest. I believe that Mac would like to run more read option plays and have a QB who makes plays with their legs but that's not Sefo's game right now. He's athletic and seems to have decent straight line speed but he doesn't seem to have the vision needed for a ball carrier.

I like how Aaron Rodgers plays. He doesn't run much but he's very capable of it. People are scared to death when he starts moving around, then he'll scramble for 20. It really depends whether you wanna feature your qb running in your O.
I think Mariotta has the discipline to stay in the pocket, but the explosiveness to run. He's like AR except AR is probably a better passer and MM a better runner.

Travis Wilson runs like he has an anchor in his pants. I hope he is quicker than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wilson's playing with a broken head. Look at his rushing stats for 2013 before he went down.

The more I read about this kid, and how his coach handled him, the more excited I get. Cannot wait to see you in Boulder, Montez!

Kid says all the right things, talent is evident in the videos, and coach raves about him. He can be very special for years to come.

Any knowledgable posters want to chime in with his limitations/areas for improvement?

I'm not particularly knowledgeable but would happy to chime in. He has no limitations or opportunities for improvement in his game.

Any knowledgable posters want to chime in with his limitations/areas for improvement?

1. He's got to get in the weight room to fill out that frame.

2. Some mechanics can be improved for accuracy and quickness of release.

That's where I'd expect our coaches to focus his first year along with just getting him acclimated and into the playbook.

1. He's got to get in the weight room to fill out that frame.

2. Some mechanics can be improved for accuracy and quickness of release.

That's where I'd expect our coaches to focus his first year along with just getting him acclimated and into the playbook.
You handled that better than I did.

Back