What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'15 TX QB Steven Montez (Signed to COLORADO)

Not at all - Peterson has come out and said that Miles' job isn't safe and his biggest competition next year is a true freshman. That being said, Browning did enroll early.
Of course he said that. Coaches want competition. But most coaches don't want to start a true freshman. But then, there have been some pretty successful freshmen QB's lately. Like "Johnny Football" and the kid at Arizona.

Of course he said that. Coaches want competition. But most coaches don't want to start a true freshman. But then, there have been some pretty successful freshmen QB's lately. Like "Johnny Football" and the kid at Arizona.
both of which were RS freshman

Look forward to what he can do with our multi pass/run option game. Want to see how he does with pocket presence. I love that he has good running instincts.

He seems so cool under pressure. He gets the ball and he stands tall in the pocket. He gets some pressure and for a few moments he scrambles like a madman to avoid it and as soon as he's free of danger he relaxes like he's playing catch in a meadow somewhere.

I know I have said this many times, and I am not alone in thinking this, but I really feel Montez is a total stud who could be a key part of turning this thing around. Time will tell of course, but I am really optimistic about him.

Now that is what a true dual threat QB looks like. May not be the fastest QB, but seems to have great awareness (albeit from highlights only) in the pocket, stands tall and delivers under pressure, and has good instincts on when to pull it down and run. When he's running, he seems to be very hard to bring down and has decent quicks and moves in the open field for his size. I don't see him being able to beat out Sefo in '15, but could have a package of read option stuff. Otherwise, redshirt him.

Still reminds me of the college version of Kaepernick with Nevada. If we can get even close to that kind of production, Montez is going to be a key piece to this turn around.

If he doesn't clearly beat, Sefo, which I doubt he'll do, he needs to redshirt. No "packages".

Yeah, Awini can run that just fine, maybe Apsay. No reason to lose Montez's 5th year for a few QB runs as a freshman.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yep. I like the idea of inserting those packages in 2015 and let Apsay and/or Awini run them. Then in 2016, they all compete for the starting job with Sefo and if they don´t win it, than maybe increase % of plays. They all could be good and we won´t know until they get on the field but I just have a feeling that Montez is going to be starting in 2016.

You think a RS freshman Montez will start over a senior Sefo? You must really like him, that would be a pretty ballsy move by Mac.

You think a RS freshman Montez will start over a senior Sefo? You must really like him, that would be a pretty ballsy move by Mac.

Agreed. He would have to look like an All-American in practice for MM to agree to start him over a 3 year starter, who's been pretty good.

Wow. Very impressed with how he can move. Thought he looked a lot like Sefo in his Junior film. Might have something here.

Definitely one of the best athletes we've recruited at the QB position in a long time. I think he's still fairly raw throwing the ball, but the tools are there. Highly doubt he challenges Sefo for the first 2 years, but could be quite the showdown in 2017 between Montez and Apsay.

Might depend on how many INT's Sefo throws this year. Incremental improvement across the board would help, but need a jump of improvement in that stat for long term job security.

Might depend on how many INT's Sefo throws this year. Incremental improvement across the board would help, but need a jump of improvement in that stat for long term job security.

I just doubt you can expect better ball security from a freshman.

Correct. However, if there isn't any improvement from your starter, you bet on the future.

Not when MM needs to "win now" to keep job security. Starting a freshman that isn't clearly better than Sefo from the start, solely because Sefo hasn't improved as much as they'd like, would be looking to '16, '17 and '18, and this staff can't afford to do that.

I agree and there are too many unknowns at this point, but I just don´t think Sefo is taking us to the promised land. He is better than most QBs we have had in the past several years, but I fear we are close to his ceiling. His turnovers and inability to connect consistently on open downfield receivers is concerning. Add to that, less than stellar mobility to allow us that extra dimension, and I think his job could be in jeopardy. He either has to drastically improve or our younger guys would have to be less than advertised for him to be a 4 year starter (IMHO).

FYI, one other point. It appears that HCMM is very serious about winning the turnover battle. He was so frustrated with the lack of turnovers on D that he let go of our DC. In 2014, he was frustrated by Sefo´s turnovers and gave Gehrke a shot. Gehrke is not Apsay or Montez IMHO.

If either of those show HCMM something that suggests they may be less of a liability and generate more game breaking plays (with their feet or deep ball), I really think HCMM wouldn´t hesitate to make the switch.

I agree and there are too many unknowns at this point, but I just don´t think Sefo is taking us to the promised land. He is better than most QBs we have had in the past several years, but I fear we are close to his ceiling. His turnovers and inability to connect consistently on open downfield receivers is concerning. Add to that, less than stellar mobility to allow us that extra dimension, and I think his job could be in jeopardy. He either has to drastically improve or our younger guys would have to be less than advertised for him to be a 4 year starter (IMHO).

His ceiling? He's played a season and a half of college ball and the offense improved dramatically from his freshman to sophomore year. Yes, Sefo needs to cut down on the turnovers, but to say we've seen his ceiling before he's played 2 full seasons is a little bit of an overreaction.

As a running style (not actual athleticism) he reminds me a bit of VY. He never looked like he was running hard or fast, but he always got away and no one really ever got a clean shot at him. It used to piss me off, cause he never looked that fast, but he was always running away from defenders.

Again, just what Montez looks like, I know he does not have VY's athleticism or top end speed.

His ceiling? He's played a season and a half of college ball and the offense improved dramatically from his freshman to sophomore year. Yes, Sefo needs to cut down on the turnovers, but to say we've seen his ceiling before he's played 2 full seasons is a little bit of an overreaction.
I don´t mean that we have seen his best, I mean I feel like we now have a clue what his ceiling will be and it appears, to me at least, to be limited.

If he is not going to be a damn good, efficient pocket passer who can reliably get the ball down field and limit turnovers, than he needs to be able to be a game breaker with his feet, either to buy time to scramble or to get yards downfield running for 1st downs. It appears to me he is not either, and will never be more than a good game manager (hopefully with fewer turnovers).

Given deficiencies elsewhere it seems we need a gamebreaker at QB if we want to punch above our weight class.

As a running style (not actual athleticism) he reminds me a bit of VY. He never looked like he was running hard or fast, but he always got away and no one really ever got a clean shot at him. It used to piss me off, cause he never looked that fast, but he was always running away from defenders.

Again, just what Montez looks like, I know he does not have VY's athleticism or top end speed.

I've spent allot of time in Dallas Ft. Worth due to my company having offices in TX & CO . One of my assoc. that made it to the Aleto/ De Ville playoff game said (and he's is a former NFL QB; a career back up player for 6 seasons) he thinks Montez is a top 5 TX QB! likes that quick,high release, and a strong arm to boot will put CU on the map! We have had several conversations about HS football mostly about TX. Going back to that playoff game he hardly knew anything about De Ville. He is doumbfounded that none of the TX schools have come after him?! Assessed that Montez was the best player on the field that game (Aledo has the #2 RB in the county).Till this day he's really excited that CU got him! Thinks the kid will start for us his Fr. year and be the one that get's CU out the basement

I tend to believe him in what he says, he knows the position and is a part time HS coach for his nephews team. CU has been one of his favorite all time teams..TIFWIW. He was recruited by Barnett! We discussed Soph. slumps and he asserted that Sefo also had a weak fr. campaign. Doesn't think Sefo has a chance. He knows our QB sitch and is very confident we will be needing Montez legs (escapability) to get us out of the trough!

Last edited:
Back