What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'15 WBB TX PG Kennedy Leonard (Signed to Colorado)

Serious question; does this matter more to the average female athlete than is does to the guys?

I have always wondered how the selection process differs.

A male player the level of Kennedy is likely to at least be hoping for a shot at the NBA or Europe. While there are pro womens leagues including the WNBA they aren't going to have a shot at becoming wealthy as players.

I think the women might be more likely to consider the quality of the degree, the quality of the campus and campus life, and other factors more that the money factors the guys look at.

She's only a 3* with all those programs giving offers out? I'm thinking she gets another star or maybe two by the time she signs the LOI.

A male player the level of Kennedy is likely to at least be hoping for a shot at the NBA or Europe. While there are pro womens leagues including the WNBA they aren't going to have a shot at becoming wealthy as players.

I think the women might be more likely to consider the quality of the degree, the quality of the campus and campus life, and other factors more that the money factors the guys look at.

Interesting take, I tend to agree.

She's only a 3* with all those programs giving offers out? I'm thinking she gets another star or maybe two by the time she signs the LOI.

I think that ESPN has scaled way back or even stopped doing their HS girls BB evaluations. If you notice, their last entry on her is from May 2012. Groups that I know are doing current evaluations have her rated thus: 4 star on Prospects Nation but not in the top 50. All Star Girls Report has her at #92

There are a few, a very few, women that can make very good money playing basketball. The big money is not in the USA in the WNBA but overseas, primarily in Russia and other eastern European countries. Another relatively small percentage will be able to make a decent living playing overseas. But most WBB players in college know that they have to be prepared to make a living doing something else after they graduate. Some will become coaches but most will be doing other things. Thus I think you are right that most of the high school girls are looking at the entire college experience, not just the basketball.

I think that ESPN has scaled way back or even stopped doing their HS girls BB evaluations. If you notice, their last entry on her is from May 2012. Groups that I know are doing current evaluations have her rated thus: 4 star on Prospects Nation but not in the top 50. All Star Girls Report has her at #92

Ever since ESPN and HoopGurlz split, there hasn't been much coverage.

It has gotten to the point where we have no idea how good a recruit is on the women's side. The coverage is that bad.

We still have the McDonald's All Americans and the Gatorade POYs per state. We may get some info on offer lists.

But once we're past the Top 50-100 players, it's such spotty coverage that it's almost worthless.

Any more, I don't have a better handle on our WBB recruiting than I do our WLAX recruiting.

Update on Leonard at the Cy-Fair camp, from Prospects Nation.

The 5-8 combo guard has continued to hone in on developing her game, wrecking havoc on the opposing teams here in the process. Her ability to handle the basketball and get into the lane to score it or kick makes the four-star guard a versatile option for coach Linda Lappe and the Buffaloes long term. Leonard’s name will be in the mix as a possible ELITE 100 prospect in the upcoming rankings expansion.

More words from Prospectsnation on Kennedy Leonard, this time from the DFW March Fest :
"Some of the committed prospects in the gym this weekend did a lot to make their future schools proud. Players like the aforementioned Leonard who is headed to Colorado. Leonard played both backcourt spots this weekend and made plays in both spots. She is a skilled guard who can really stretch the floor with her perimeter shooting."

Looks like both Lennard and Robinson will be very good players for the Buffs and they may get a shot at immediate playing time with both Kresl and Sborov being seniors next season. I would guess by the end of the summer evaluation period they will be both be ranked in the top 100.

Another update on Leonard from Prospectsnation, this time from the Cy-Fair Invitational :

" [h=4]Kennedy Leonard (Southlake, Texas), Cy-Fair Team Ogwumike -- 2015[/h]
Kennedy-Leonard-point.preview.jpg

Watch List guard Kennedy Leonard.
*Photo by Chris Hansen.

There is so much emphasis on scoring in basketball that perhaps the most valuable and overlooked skill is getting teammates the ball in places to score. Leonard has really embraced the role as being the primary distributor on her Cy-Fair team that is deep with players who can put the ball in the basket. Unless coach Katie Hensle is calling out a halfcourt set requiring a ball screen you won’t catch the 5-8 Colorado commit dribbling much. She passes the ball ahead in transition and keeps it moving the halfcourt like a hot potato. She’s also playing more defense than we’ve seen in the past, utilizing her length to make passing lanes disappear and surprise the opposition with the occasional blocked shot. "

Sounds good to me .... working on improving as a distributing point guard and improving her defense. Do I see a Coach Lappe influence in that last item?

I'm telling ya, she's another Shelley Sheetz.

She plays without fear, like a man; she had to have learned her game in the driveway against older brothers.

Another Shelley Sheetz would work for me!!!!!!!!!!! I saw enough of the first Shelley play to know that would be a very good thing.

Heh. Shelley Sheetz brother is my neighbor. Every once on a while, Shelley is over there, shooting hoops with her nieces. Nice folks. Keep your eyes out for another Sheetz in about three years. She's a player, and is getting tips from one of the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Kennedy Leonard is another Shelley Sheetz, I will take that in a minute! CU has only had one All American player and guess who that was!

Nice to see her upgraded by ProspectsNation.

I find it interesting that, of the 3 WBB recruit ranking places that I know of, two of them like Alexis Robinson the best and PN likes Kennedy Leonard the best. They all agree that all 3 of CU's verbals for 2015 are good. Here's the summary of what I find at this time:

Blue Star:
Robinson #29
Leonard #140
Burich #185

AllStar Girls Report:
Robinson #45
Leonard #92
Burich #137

ProspectsNation
:
Leonard #42
Robinson and Burich both 4* but not ranked. With 100 ranked now and 34 more listed at 4*, that puts these two ladies somewhere between 101 and 134.

Perhaps one reason for the disparity in the rankings between Blue Star and AllStar is how often they see a player and in what setting? Regardless, it seems both Leonard and Robinson are going to be top 100 quality recruits when they arrive in Boulder in about a year.

Now if CU could only get a quality post player.

Open this video clip and then click to watch the entire game. Kennedy starts and opens the scoring with a trey. She is the primary point guard on her club team, Cy-Fair Shock, which seems to be one of the best in the country.

http://www.highschoolcube.com/highlight/brilliant-move-by-cy-fair-shoc-176816

"Kennedy Leonard-5-7 guard-Southlake Carroll HS-Southlake TX- The Colorado commit is one I expected big thing from as a freshman and her game expanded to more than just a good combo guard. Leonard’s midrange and taking defenders off the dribble ability will open more eyes this summer" - Girlz Prep Report

"Kennedy Leonard may well be the recognized but unsung standout among this talented group. (Cy-Fair Shock is loaded - me) The best one word description is that she’s “involved” in virtually every play when she’s on the floor. The 5-9 guard is a factor scoring, leads the team in assists and is a deceptive athlete with better speed that you might think" - Mark Lewis, Bluestar Media

Perhaps one reason for the disparity in the rankings between Blue Star and AllStar is how often they see a player and in what setting? Regardless, it seems both Leonard and Robinson are going to be top 100 quality recruits when they arrive in Boulder in about a year.

Now if CU could only get a quality post player.

That's where basketball at all levels separates. As much as great guard play is exciting and drives team basketball, the most efficient place to score remains at the rim. Having players that can post up and defend the rim makes this game so much easier to win. It also reduces upsets from bad shooting nights. Like defense, size doesn't slump.

On that note, Stanford is replacing the Ogwumike sisters. I know their 2014 recruiting class is ridiculous, but that's a lot to lose. Is the window more open to upset them this year than usual?

That's where basketball at all levels separates. As much as great guard play is exciting and drives team basketball, the most efficient place to score remains at the rim. Having players that can post up and defend the rim makes this game so much easier to win. It also reduces upsets from bad shooting nights. Like defense, size doesn't slump.

No doubt about this. Guard play may be "sexy" but getting points at the rim in the half court is makes a tremendous difference. CU can be a very good program without a true low post player, but to go deep in the NCAA tourney and challenge for Pac 12 titles they need a post player that can both score and defend.

Going off the top of my head, the last player they had that was able to do both well was Tera Bjorklund. Boy was she deadly within five feet of the rim!

From link:

[h=4]Kennedy Leonard (Southlake, Texas), Cy-Fair – 2015[/h]A Colorado verbal commitment, Leonard had a very impressive weekend here in the Dallas area. Leonard, who can succeed playing both the point guard and the shooting guard position, seemed comfortable playing with and without the basketball. This weekend we saw Leonard play effective and controlled basketball without forcing the issue. She hit open shots, made plays without over using the dribble, and ran the offense when needed. Colorado fans should be excited about watching Leonard for years to come.

On that note, Stanford is replacing the Ogwumike sisters. I know their 2014 recruiting class is ridiculous, but that's a lot to lose. Is the window more open to upset them this year than usual?

Don't need a great post player to win on the men's side: who was Geo Mason's "big"? Or Butler's? Or VCU's? Very top notch bigs are rare birds.

In the women's game don't need great height so much as decent athletic height and bulk. An athletic, 6'4" 240 lb'er, with great shooting guards, can make your team Sweet Sixteen material! Or go like 'Furd: everybody's 6'0" to 6'4 and all can shoot.

Back