What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'17 CA DE Terrance Lang (Signed to COLORADO)

Gonna be a few years, but he should be a very good lineman down the line.

Assuming they develop, the height we have with Sami & Lang is going to be a passing lane nightmare for opposing QBs. I get a lot more excited about a recruit if there's something about them (height, speed, whatever) that I can see causing matchup problems for opponents.

Assuming they develop, the height we have with Sami & Lang is going to be a passing lane nightmare for opposing QBs. I get a lot more excited about a recruit if there's something about them (height, speed, whatever) that I can see causing matchup problems for opponents.

Assuming Lang stays on defense.;)

Assuming Lang stays on defense.;)

There's that. :D

That first step on his film coupled with his basketball skills and Ziskin on repeat about his brother (USC recruiting director) calling Lang a freak athlete has me thinking that we just got ourselves a DeForest Buckner for our DL. :cool:

I think he'll do either at a high level, he's got freakish talent and body type. I'd love to see him at D-end though, that would be a sight to see. The coaches will determine that.

Jadeveon Clowney is 6'6" and 267lbs. Almost a mirrror size / height.
Get him here and the rest will sort out.
I would say keep him at DE.
Clowney was about 20 lbs lighter when he was Lang's age. Lang isn't going to stay at 270 for his entire collegiate career.

Clowney was about 20 lbs lighter when he was Lang's age. Lang isn't going to stay at 270 for his entire collegiate career.

True. But Clowney is also not a 5-technique DE in a 3-4 system. I think Lang would be in that Samson Kafovalu role. Clowney, in the Houston Texan 3-4, plays more of the "endbacker" position that Jimmie Gilbert played for us before McCartney got hurt and Jimmie had to do more of the OLB stuff. It's pretty much a pass rusher that will drop out every now and then to confuse the QB with a blitz from elsewhere (which is not really a blitz since the defense still has 7 guys in coverage after that endbacker drops out).

True. But Clowney is also not a 5-technique DE in a 3-4 system. I think Lang would be in that Samson Kafovalu role. Clowney, in the Houston Texan 3-4, plays more of the "endbacker" position that Jimmie Gilbert played for us before McCartney got hurt and Jimmie had to do more of the OLB stuff. It's pretty much a pass rusher that will drop out every now and then to confuse the QB with a blitz from elsewhere (which is not really a blitz since the defense still has 7 guys in coverage after that endbacker drops out).
I was just making the point that Lang shouldn't be viewed as a Clowney clone, just because they are the same size right now, when Clowney is 3 seasons into an NFL career and Lang is 17/18 years old. I would love to see him on defense. I think there's a very real chance he is at least 300 lbs by the time he gets on the field for CU, if he RS or GS in 2017. That kind of size and athleticism would wreak havoc on opposing offenses, but to Duff's point, it would also be an elite skill set for OT.

I was just making the point that Lang shouldn't be viewed as a Clowney clone, just because they are the same size right now, when Clowney is 3 seasons into an NFL career and Lang is 17/18 years old. I would love to see him on defense. I think there's a very real chance he is at least 300 lbs by the time he gets on the field for CU, if he RS or GS in 2017. That kind of size and athleticism would wreak havoc on opposing offenses, but to Duff's point, it would also be an elite skill set for OT.

I agree. I'm just saying that it's a different position even though it's listed the same on the roster when we talk about a 3-4 DE. I see Lang as more of an Akiem Hicks type when he develops.

I like him where we'll need him in 2019 +
Haigler, Miller, Vaughan, Morretti, Lytle and Polley.
vs
Tonz, Umu, Roberts, Sparaco, Olver and Sami.

If Sami pans out and Polley's a guard then move him to OT. Of course future recruiting, injuries, player development(both his and the others) play into this. MM just can't move him at the last second.

Hopefully MM gets this right and correctly projects now where we'll need him 2019.

Did his signing increase the overall class ranking? I would assume so, where did CU finish with Lang inked?

Play him at the position that allows him to best contribute to the team and utilize his skills. He and the coaches can figure that one out.

I'm just happy that we are recruiting athletes that are talented enough that the question comes up about where will they be best instead of where are they good enough to compete.

Did his signing increase the overall class ranking? I would assume so, where did CU finish with Lang inked?
Not in Rivals. It might have boosted our star average a tad, but not our place in the ranking. And it doesn't matter.

Not in Rivals. It might have boosted our star average a tad, but not our place in the ranking. And it doesn't matter.
At last check, Scout had yet to recalculate and I think the same is perhaps true at Rivals. Just because he replaces a lower rated (RR) guy (they cap out at like 25 signees or perhaps less).

At last check, Scout had yet to recalculate and I think the same is perhaps true at Rivals. Just because he replaces a lower rated (RR) guy (they cap out at like 25 signees or perhaps less).

What I read on the Scout board is that he replaces a 3* who is unrated at his position. There's a formula based on being position rated where they subtract the player's position rating from the number of guys rated at that position to determine the points to add to the team total. So, if there were 100 guys at a position and a guy was ranked #20, it would be 80 team points. With Lang, it should give CU over 60 more points and move us up 3 spots in the team ranks, iirc.

What I read on the Scout board is that he replaces a 3* who is unrated at his position. There's a formula based on being position rated where they subtract the player's position rating from the number of guys rated at that position to determine the points to add to the team total. So, if there were 100 guys at a position and a guy was ranked #20, it would be 80 team points. With Lang, it should give CU over 60 more points and move us up 3 spots in the team ranks, iirc.
I believe Lang would make us a consensus Top 30 class on every site, but from what I recall, they never recalculate after signing day, so we will never actually see it ranked that way.

Who was the HS(JC maybe?) DL(from Oklahoma??) that we supposedly signed multiple years in a row about 10 years ago? He never showed up in any subsequent year.

I now can finally put that to rest. T Lang is his direct replacement.

Back