What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'19 TNFR QB Justin Fields (Ohio State)

Martell probably talked that big game in hopes that it would "scare" Fields away from transferring. Gonna look like a real clown when Martell transfers because Fields comes in and wins the job even without all the experience in that very confusing and tough to learn Ryan Day offense.

here? We were really in the running for him a few years back
Yeah I don't know the likelihood of him coming to CU, but if he isn't the clear cut guy after Spring practices, I would assume he'd transfer somewhere he'd assuredly play. CU would be about as ideal a situation, IMO, as he'd have to sit out this year anyway and wouldn't have much competition in 2020/2021. Throw in the fact that MT and JJ are seemingly moving toward a more dual threat QB style, and I think it sets up perfectly for CU.

With the limited information I have access to regarding Martell he just seems like a guy who is more headline than production. Kinda like this guy (same last name could be related?):

brett-cullen-the-replacements-2000-BPH5A4.jpg

With the limited information I have access to regarding Martell he just seems like a guy who is more headline than production. Kinda like this guy (same last name could be related?):

brett-cullen-the-replacements-2000-BPH5A4.jpg
Extremely talented player who saw playing time as a RS Freshman at Ohio State with an 1st round NFL pick playing ahead of him. CU has Tyler Lytle and Stenstrom waiting in the wings for 2020 and neither seem to really fit what MT and JJ want to do. Martell would walk in and essentially have zero competition. Would be a welcome addition.

Extremely talented player who saw playing time as a RS Freshman at Ohio State with an 1st round NFL pick playing ahead of him. CU has Tyler Lytle and Stenstrom waiting in the wings for 2020 and neither seem to really fit what MT and JJ want to do. Martell would walk in and essentially have zero competition. Would be a welcome addition.

I think zero competition is a stretch, unless our current QB depth chart is just horrid.

I think zero competition is a stretch, unless our current QB depth chart is just horrid.
I'm sure they will fit an offense to the players on the roster, but it's clear they are moving toward a dual threat approach at QB. If Martell were to transfer here, you think Lytle and Stenstrom can provide serious competition to a guy that fits that mold better than they do and from all accounts is just a better overall player than both of them?

I'm sure they will fit an offense to the players on the roster, but it's clear they are moving toward a dual threat approach at QB. If Martell were to transfer here, you think Lytle and Stenstrom can provide serious competition to a guy that fits that mold better than they do and from all accounts is just a better overall player than both of them?

I think at least one of them can.

If not, we got major issues at QB.

I don't get the impression JJ has a preference between Dual Threat/Pro. He's offered/targeted a number of Pro style QBs.

I don't get the impression JJ has a preference between Dual Threat/Pro. He's offered/targeted a number of Pro style QBs.
Who are the guys he's offered/targeted so far? Not sure if the profiles or recruiting indexes here are up to date, so the only "new" offer I've seen is CJ Stroud for 2020. Illingsworth has some activity from this staff and while he's not considered DT, he can definitely run around. I don't see much else.

Who are the guys he's offered/targeted so far? Not sure if the profiles or recruiting indexes here are up to date, so the only "new" offer I've seen is CJ Stroud for 2020. Illingsworth has some activity from this staff and while he's not considered DT, he can definitely run around. I don't see much else.
From Adam's CJ Stroud article: "Norco (Calif.) High's Shane Illingworth, Boulder (Colo.) Fairview's Aidan Atkinson, Manheim (Pa.) Central's Evan Simon and Brentwood (Calif.) Liberty's Jay Butterfield are other 2020 quarterback recruits the Buffaloes' new staff has reached out to in recent weeks."

Which, all 4 of those are listed as Pro QBs. As well, Chev followed Ken Seals today, and Johnson's recent follows are Patrick Roberg, Luca Diamont, Marshall Eucker, all PRO QBs. So it seems like a healthy mix compared to the initial trend of offering DTs. Though I've thought maybe it's due to a plan to take 1 DT and 1 PRO in 2020.

We offered Evan Simon and From Adam's CJ Stroud article: "Norco (Calif.) High's Shane Illingworth, Boulder (Colo.) Fairview's Aidan Atkinson, Manheim (Pa.) Central's Evan Simon and Brentwood (Calif.) Liberty's Jay Butterfield are other 2020 quarterback recruits the Buffaloes' new staff has reached out to in recent weeks."

Which, all 4 of those are listed as Pro QBs. As well, Chev followed Ken Seals today, and Johnson's recent follows are Patrick Roberg, Luca Diamont, Marshall Eucker, all PRO QBs. So it seems like a healthy mix compared to the initial trend of offering DTs. Though I've thought maybe it's due to a plan to take 1 DT and 1 PRO in 2020.
Thanks for the info. Having both Pro and DT guys seems to be a bit of a trend with some of the more elite programs (Georgia with Fromm/Fields, Clemson with Lawrence/Kelly, Bama with Hurts/Tua). Regardless, I stand by my original statement that I don't think Lytle or Stenstrom would provide a huge challenge for Martell to overcome if he transferred in after Spring and had an entire year in the system.

Thanks for the info. Having both Pro and DT guys seems to be a bit of a trend with some of the more elite programs (Georgia with Fromm/Fields, Clemson with Lawrence/Kelly, Bama with Hurts/Tua). Regardless, I stand by my original statement that I don't think Lytle or Stenstrom would provide a huge challenge for Martell to overcome if he transferred in after Spring and had an entire year in the system.
Agreed. If Martell transferred here he'd be QB1 from day 1. Lytle would be a waaay down QB2 and Stenstrom would probably get passed by whoever we recruited in the meantime and a mop bucket. And FTR, you can take Atkinson off every discussion thread. He AIN'T coming here. Nope. Nyet. Nein.

Agreed. If Martell transferred here he'd be QB1 from day 1. Lytle would be a waaay down QB2 and Stenstrom would probably get passed by whoever we recruited in the meantime and a mop bucket. And FTR, you can take Atkinson off every discussion thread. He AIN'T coming here. Nope. Nyet. Nein.
Non?

What’s the story with Atkinson? Did I miss something?

I think you are wrong about everything except Martel starting.

He may be better on paper, but unless I am thinking of a different kid, there is a lot of circus surrounding him (and his recruitment especially). Not saying that it isn't par for the course, but he was a 2017 class signee (I believe) and maybe an early enrollee as well. So he had two bites at the apple. And now OSU is taking Fields ostensibly over Martel. So yes he is likely better than anything we have, especially in the duel threat category, but I don't feel like he is a guy to hang your hat on. I would much prefer a highly rated Frosh to come in next year to compete with what we have. Maybe even look to a grad transfer this year for some additional depth.

Granted I could be totally off base here. Just something about this guy screams entitled and probable underperformer when the crap hits the fan.

Stenstrom is a good QB (Scout team MVP), not that cool to just throw him off the depth chart until all these guys get to play in the Spring in JJ's offense. All these guys can call themselves PRO style QB's, but Patrick Mahomes is the new PRO QB, and he is as mobile as it gets, without just running down the field. Lamar Jackson is going to get hurt for sure within the next 6-12 games if he plays the way he has been. I would prefer we go with Accurate Dual Threat guys!

Back