What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'20 CO QB Aidan Atkinson (Verbal to Northwestern)

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
247sports
ESPN
Rivals
hudl

20170831__01PRFHSFBw~2.jpg

Fairview HS (Boulder, CO)

Twitter: https://twitter.com/aidanatkinsonqb

Ht: 6'3"
Wt: 198
40:

247s rating: 3* - 88 grade; #12 QB-P
ESPN rating: 4* - 83 grade; #7 QB-P (#145 overall)
Rivals rating: 3* - 5.6rr; unranked QB-P

247sports Composite: 4* / 0.9032 / #13 QB-P / #286 overall

Reported Offers: COLORADO, Akron, Boise State, CSU, Kansas, Mississippi, Nevada, Northwestern, South Carolina, Wisconsin

Last edited:
Might Atkinson make it 3 years in a row that CU stays in-state for its QB?

Sophomore stats:
Passing

YearGradeTeamGPCAttYdsC%AvgY/GC/GTDTD/GIntLngQB Rate
Varsity Totals 122243313405.67715.2283.818.7231.9470119.5
17-18SophomoreVarsity122243313405.67715.2283.818.7231.9470119.5
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

**** just got real with his recruitment and whether he's a national P5 prospect. Ole Miss offered tonight.

Nice mechanics and footwork. Rarely had to check off of the primary, but showed the ability to do so when required. I saw him at the Mullen game, impressive.
I worked chains when Fairview came up to Mountain Range this year. Up close and personal Atkinson is a big kid, I was surprised he was a sophomore.

Speaking of Mullen (worked chains for Mullen V. Mountain Range as well, they had a Beast of a Dlineman (#76 I believe, but I am getting old) He is another impressive Sophomore, he looked like Junior Seau out there.. Does anyone know of any hype around this kid, or know his name...haha?

I worked chains when Fairview came up to Mountain Range this year. Up close and personal Atkinson is a big kid, I was surprised he was a sophomore.

Speaking of Mullen (worked chains for Mullen V. Mountain Range as well, they had a Beast of a Dlineman (#76 I believe, but I am getting old) He is another impressive Sophomore, he looked like Junior Seau out there.. Does anyone know of any hype around this kid, or know his name...haha?
I think the guy you're thinking of is Aidan Ikaika Keanaaina. Seems like a guy that CU will offer. If they don't think he's quite what they're looking for on the DL, I'd think he'll get offered on the OL to play guard. 6'3" 292 and a 4.1 GPA. hudl bio says that he's been playing since 3rd grade with his dad as his youth coach. Seems like the type of player you make room for with your in-state recruiting. I'm going to go ahead and make a profile because I'm intrigued.

Edit: Here's the new profile thread - https://www.allbuffs.com/threads/20-co-dt-aidan-keanaaina.131497/ Let's keep this thread focused on Atkinson.

Last edited:
This kid is the real deal. It has been quietly said since Aidan was in 8th grade, that this could be the best QB prospect to come out of Boulder in years/decades. I hope that the staff is paying attention, and is showing him love unlike other instances in the past with kids out of Boulder. Hopefully the offer from Ole Miss raises some eyebrows.

I only saw him play against Rocky Mountain and he wasn't one of the players that I really noticed. However, I do recall thinking that Fairview threw the ball a lot. Guess I will have to make an effort to see him play again this year.

I only saw him play against Rocky Mountain and he wasn't one of the players that I really noticed. However, I do recall thinking that Fairview threw the ball a lot. Guess I will have to make an effort to see him play again this year.
Fairview throws the ball probably 75-80% of the time and every Varsity QB worth his salt will put up big time numbers in that offense. Like Air Raid QBs, I feel like Fairview QBs are traditionally tougher to evaluate because of that. College offenses have evolved enough to where this isn't as much of a limitation as it used to be, IMO, though.

Just took a look at the MaxPreps box score on that one. You happened to catch his worst game of the season. 19/30 for 230 with 0 TDs & 2 INTs. http://www.maxpreps.com/games/footb...gfy90CdU3WMMqLrFw.htm#tab=box-score&schoolid=

I can’t recall many sophomore QB recruits from CO who have this kind of upside. He is a very important “get” for CU.

Last edited:
I was trying not to mention the interceptions since this is his recruiting thread. I was just looking at the maxprep site and yes that was his worst game and it looks like it also was his first varsity playing time???
Was early in the season in his first year as a starter. Having a bad game while completing 63% of his passes on the day early in his sophomore year isn't something that concerns me in any way.

Funny, because Fairview used to be a run centered offense. Full backfield, the whole nine yards. I wonder what led ‘lil Mac to make that kind of change.

Funny, because Fairview used to be a run centered offense. Full backfield, the whole nine yards. I wonder what led ‘lil Mac to make that kind of change.
He's smart enough to know what excites players and gets them noticed by colleges. There's a reason he gets/keeps getting players not within FHS boundries to come there.

Aidan Atkinson from Fairview, was offered by CU this morning. I have had the pleasure to be on the staff under Coach Tom McCartney, varsity LBs and STs. I believe this is he is the best QB Mac has had at Fairview, which includes Craig Ochs (CU/Montana), Taylor Tharp (Boise), Anders Hill (Columbia), and several QBs who broke state records and played or are playing lower division football. Aidan is the real deal and hoping we can land the three best QBs in the state in three years. So far he has been offered by CU, Boise State, Ole Miss, and Akron. Expect many more power five offers to come.

Aidan Atkinson from Fairview, was offered by CU this morning. I have had the pleasure to be on the staff under Coach Tom McCartney, varsity LBs and STs. I believe this is he is the best QB Mac has had at Fairview, which includes Craig Ochs (CU/Montana), Taylor Tharp (Boise), Anders Hill (Columbia), and several QBs who broke state records and played or are playing lower division football. Aidan is the real deal and hoping we can land the three best QBs in the state in three years. So far he has been offered by CU, Boise State, Ole Miss, and Akron. Expect many more power five offers to come.

Some good film right there. The throw at the 1 minute mark from the 50 yard line to the 1 travels some distance, with a guy coming into his grill so he couldn't step into it. But also shows good feet, athleticism, etc

Was early in the season in his first year as a starter. Having a bad game while completing 63% of his passes on the day early in his sophomore year isn't something that concerns me in any way.

This gam was a Saturday morning game and it was a wet, cool game. It was also the 3rd game in the season.

Fairview throws the ball probably 75-80% of the time and every Varsity QB worth his salt will put up big time numbers in that offense. Like Air Raid QBs, I feel like Fairview QBs are traditionally tougher to evaluate because of that. College offenses have evolved enough to where this isn't as much of a limitation as it used to be, IMO, though.

It’s actually a fallacy that Fairview throws the ball that much. For the most part it’s roughly balanced now. Going back to 2009, they’ve had one season where they threw the ball 73% of the time. In ‘15 and ‘16 they averaged roughly a 60-40 in favor of passing. Up until they got Anders Hill at QB, they had more of a 60-40 in favor of the run. This past season, Fairview was 50-50 with 338 passing attempts for 3,453 passing yards and 340 rushing attempts for 1,999 rushing yards. Where Fairview gets you is the total passing yards they put up in a year and how many yards per catch. This past year, Fairview averaged 15 yards per catch. There are multiple Fairview QBs in the last several years in the top 10 for passing yards, completion percentage, etc.

Last edited:
Back