What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'20 TNFR SDE Antonio Alfano (SIGNED and ENROLLED with COLORADO)

Thank you for giving an example in support of my point.

Right. He played really well down the stretch and was a catalyst for a much improved defense.

He played small school football in So Cal and was raw as can be and had academic concerns, but still had offers from Oregon and USC.

He has gone from 6'7"/245 as a freshman to 6'7"/280 as a redshirt sophomore who should put on more good weight this offseason. Good luck "recruiting over" that guy.

Last edited:
Right. He played really well down the stretch and was a catalyst for a much improved defense.

He played small school football in So Cal and was raw as can be and had academic concerns, but still had offers from Oregon and USC.

He has gone from 6'7"/245 as a redshirt freshman to 6'7"/280 as a redshirt sophomore who should put on more good weight this offseason. Good luck "recruiting over" that guy.
Total beast down the stretch and another offseason should put him in All Conference territory in 2020.

seems it'd make the most sense to either just rotate Johnson/Lang/Alfano constantly and/or go 4 down linemen with Alfano or Lang lining up inside. Or one of them sliding inside in passing situations

having too many good DL is a good problem to have
You can not have too many. It's exactly what MT set as a goal from day one, and it's how you win football games. It isn't about who is not going to play, they are all going to play....a lot. The goal is for them to be a nightmare for good offensive lines in the 4th quarter. When most DLines are tired, we will be primed to win games. It is a big time departure from the way things have been here for a while, and I expect it get better every year for some time.

Mel Tucker's defense works if they can consistently get pressure on the QB by rushing only 4 players.

@Duff Man is right, Lang isn't going to not start.

He has not only developed into NFL size but he is athletic and mobile for the size. If he keeps developing his game like has he will start showing up on draft previews.

MT though has said multiple times that he wants to rotate multiple guys across the DL. Alfano will get plenty of playing time but Mustafa and Lang will be this years starters. Mustafa will be gone after this year and we can expect Lang and Alfano to be the starters the year after.

It wasn't long ago that we were hoping each year that our JC guys would turn out so we could put a representative DL on the field. With recent developments and the way MT is recruiting we could soon be looking at having competition for playing time even with running multiple lines.

God I love this kid. I know we’re all excited but I still think this move is getting overlooked nationally, this dude is going to tear up the PAC 12 and I’m going to love every second of it.

Sorry if I missed this somewhere, when will Alfano know if he can play this year or not? Is there a date or just when the NCAA gets damn good and ready to rule on it?

Sorry if I missed this somewhere, when will Alfano know if he can play this year or not? Is there a date or just when the NCAA gets damn good and ready to rule on it?

The idea is for him to settle into Boulder, have a good spring semester, then petition the NCAA about the nature of his circumstances that would warrant immediate eligibility. I think he has an acceptable case, but you never know with the often arbitrary NCAA. Should know something around the start of fall camp (early August).

The idea is for him to settle into Boulder, have a good spring semester, then petition the NCAA about the nature of his circumstances that would warrant immediate eligibility. I think he has an acceptable case, but you never know with the often arbitrary NCAA. Should know something around the start of fall camp (early August).
Cool, appreciate the info. (y)

What is it with the trend towards D-Linemen wearing single digit jersey numbers lately? Seems so random.

What is it with the trend towards D-Linemen wearing single digit jersey numbers lately? Seems so random.
That’s because it is random.. there are no official guidelines for defense:

According to NCAA rule book, Rule 1 Section 4 Article 1 "strongly recommends" numbering as follows for offensive players:[2]

Otherwise all players can be numbered 1–99; the NCAA makes no stipulation on defensive players.

Back