What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'20 TNFR SDE Antonio Alfano (SIGNED and ENROLLED with COLORADO)

Give me a break. A lot of defenses call their 9 technique an end. It is just a matter of terminology.
All I was saying is a 4-3 DE is a hand in the dirt Julius Peppers type of player and a 3-4 DE is also a hand on the dirt Derek Wolfe type player. Von Miller, otoh, is always the end man on the LOS and is a stand up OLB, not a DE.

Over the years, the position has become named more “EDGE” because of guys like Bradley Chubb who can do both. The defensive schemes have also become a lot more hybrid and the names 4-3/3-4 aren’t all that relevant anymore

All I was saying is a 4-3 DE is a hand in the dirt Julius Peppers type of player and a 3-4 DE is also a hand on the dirt Derek Wolfe type player. Von Miller, otoh, is always the end man on the LOS and is a stand up OLB, not a DE.

Over the years, the position has become named more “EDGE” because of guys like Bradley Chubb who can do both. The defensive schemes have also become a lot more hybrid and the names 4-3/3-4 aren’t all that relevant anymore
I agree. I could see apackage where you have Lang, Sami, Johnson on the DL and Alfano on the short side of the field as a stand up pass rusher on pass downs. He has pretty good quickness for his size, but I would nto want him on the edge every down.

I agree with this. When you watch film of us playing, the Jack backer is standing and on the LOS in this 3-4 defense. I could see them using Alfano as the Jack Backer in certain situations. IMO, our best players on the field would include having Mustafa and Alfano on at the same time, so putting a freak athlete like Alfano at Jack with Mustafa on the other side accomplishes this.

I agree with this. When you watch film of us playing, the Jack backer is standing and on the LOS in this 3-4 defense. I could see them using Alfano as the Jack Backer in certain situations. IMO, our best players on the field would include having Mustafa and Alfano on at the same time, so putting a freak athlete like Alfano at Jack with Mustafa on the other side accomplishes this.
Isn't Jack a term from MikMac's D?

How would we know what MikeMac calls his D? I would assume LilMac?
I47V.gif

Jack is a common term in the 3-4 defense anywhere. It's your hybrid DE/LB guy. More pass rush focused typically while your Sam, Will, Mike are your standard linebackers. It could very well be termed differently by Tucker.
Thanks for the info.

What do you mean by "outside" on early downs? If you mean something like playing a 4-3 except for obvious passing situations, I don't see it at all because that's not our system. And he's not an OLB.
In the latest 247 article about Alfano, he mentioned the staff wants to use him at OLB (should have listed that instead of outside). I am wondering if the staff wants to use his size to hold the edge on early downs, but not sure that makes sense as you want him attacking the ball on every play. Just spit balling as that was the first time I had heard the staff wanting to use him as an OLB.

In the latest 247 article about Alfano, he mentioned the staff wants to use him at OLB (should have listed that instead of outside). I am wondering if the staff wants to use his size to hold the edge on early downs, but not sure that makes sense as you want him attacking the ball on every play. Just spit balling as that was the first time I had heard the staff wanting to use him as an OLB.
Could be talking about the Gilbert role in a 5-2 Under as a possibility. Basically, pass rush & outside contain from the weak side 80-90% of the time with some times needing to cover the flat or having a zone blitz from an ILB with him dropping into the middle in order to keep QB & OL off balance.

Or maybe he’s being looked at like a Chase Young type who can be moved around but is usually playing a DE role.

That's not the same thing. That's what we used to do with Gilbert. It's a 5-2 Under and that guy could drop out as part of a zone blitz. I think people are trying to figure out how to start our 4 really good DLs and play some mental gymnastics to try to figure out how 4 DLs is not a different base defense. Alfano is not an OLB.
I’m surprised you don’t think they will have alfano rush standing up at any point

That's not at all what I said. I'll be surprised if I see him lined up at LB depth off the LOS, though.
Exactly. I think the coaches believe he will quickly become the most dynamic player in the front 7 causing other teams to game plan for him. I see this as the coaches looking forward to countering that by moving AA all over the LOS to create mismatches and missed blocking assignments

Exactly. I think the coaches believe he will quickly become the most dynamic player in the front 7 causing other teams to game plan for him. I see this as the coaches looking forward to countering that by moving AA all over the LOS to create mismatches and missed blocking assignments

Alfano is to the 202#-202# Buffs defense as Viska was to the 2018 and 2019 Buffs offense? I hope he gets on the field this year, and the Buffs play the part of PAC12 party crashes

Has anyone given thought to Alfano at the FB role? Asking for friend.
Center

Actually guys who can effectively rush the passer using a physical inside rush are rarer than outside rushers. Alfano can be the guy teams are used to seeing or prepared for.

Also though wouldn't surprise me to see MT make adjustments to what he normally does to give us favorable match-ups not only with Alfano but with multiple guys. Just because it is how we have done it before doesn't mean that is how we always have to do it.

Back