What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2009 Early Big 12 Lookaheads Per "Scout.com"

I dunno, Tyler Hansen and Clark Evans are both pretty exciting to me... if you read the capsules on Evans, he's a man's man, a real baller.

And Cody will be a fine backup and spot-player for two more seaons.

Cody was an Elite 11 QB coming out of HS. He was rated the #17 QB in the nation. Cody is a good QB. I know he doesn't have the live arm that people want, and he's not very mobile, but he's also shown that he can lead this team to some W's.

My fear is we go into the Fall with uncertainty at the position.:huh:

Get ready to realize those fears. I highly doubt Evans will come in and start.

hmmmmm then can you say the same thing thing about the d-line, safeties, RB (DS for instance) as I see these being uncertain more than QB

But at RB we at least have several serious options. Is it uncertain because there isn´t a clear cut starter right now? Yes, but I am optimistic at least one out of the 3 of Scott, Polk and Stewart will step up. Apart from that uncertainty at RB doesn´t have to be a bad thing ... RBBC can work, QBBC doesn´t.

The simple fact of the matter is that Cody is easy to defend. He doesn't possess the arm strength to throw the ball downfield with any accuracy. His passes are regularly batted down. He has very limited mobility. He routinely locks on to a primary receiver. When said receiver is not open, he gets the deer in the headlights look and either immediately throws the ball away, or scrambles around before getting sacked. Opposing defensive coordinators know the book on him. When an opposing team doesn't have to prepare for him, he does well (see ISU). No running game in the world can make up for these deficiencies. He could have the worlds greatest offensive line and it would not turn him into an all Big 12 QB. I'm sorry, but this is reality. If he is the starter against CSU, we're in trouble.

I think you´re a little too harsh on Cody although I do not know what your expectations are for 2009. If you ecpect like 9+ wins, I agree .... Cody isn´t the guy who can get that done IMO. I am looking for 7-8 wins next season and while Cody certainly isn´t perfect, I think that should be possible with a little help and Cody at the helm. Behind a decent line and with some better receivers to throw to, Cody can be competent. Competent isn´t what we should be aiming for long term and I hope we have a new starter with a higher ceiling ready for 2010, but for 2009 I can live with Cody and won´t declare the end of the world should he be the starter.

But at RB we at least have several serious options. Is it uncertain because there isn´t a clear cut starter right now? Yes, but I am optimistic at least one out of the 3 of Scott, Polk and Stewart will step up. Apart from that uncertainty at RB doesn´t have to be a bad thing ... RBBC can work, QBBC doesn´t.

Stewart... lets see how he comes back from the serious injury. Scott... being the #1 HS running back, per several ranking gurus, showed very little promise, if any at all last year. he looked out of shape and lost most of the year, played very little in the passing game... Polk hasnt played a down yet, so the book is wide open on him. I would call that serious too, just not in the same way you do.... :cool:

Stewart... lets see how he comes back from the serious injury. Scott... being the #1 HS running back, per several ranking gurus, showed very little promise, if any at all last year. he looked out of shape and lost most of the year, played very little in the passing game... Polk hasnt played a down yet, so the book is wide open on him. I would call that serious too, just not in the same way you do.... :cool:

I´d be thrilled if we had those options at QB tho.

- An underappreciated guy who played with a chip on his shoulder because he was overlooked by pretty much everyone

- A highly recruited and ranked guy who struggled in his Freshman season

- Another fairly highly recruited guy who redshirted

All 3 should be talented enough to be good RBs who you can feed the rock to 20-25 times a game. Whether they show that talent is a different matter, but the talent is there at this position so I won´t worry too much, especially as RB isn´t a position where you absolutely need to have a clear cut starter in order to be successful. I prefer it that way, but the pieces we do have in place at RB make me feel confident we should be solid there in 2009. I can´t say the same about QB and a solid clear cut starter at QB is way more important to an offense than a clear cut starter at RB.

Stewart is the starter. No doubt. He's proven that he can come back from injuries.

That and a broken fibula normally isn´t an injury that´s hard to come back from and normally doesn´t cause you problems for years to come. There are exceptions and when there are complications and the thing gets infected it can be really, really serious but from what I have heard Speedy hasn´t had any setbacks. When the bone is back in one piece, you should be good to go and as good as you were before, whereas a torn knee ligament can permanently cost you some speed and shiftiness. How this affects you psycholigically is a whole different matter tho.

I´d be thrilled if we had those options at QB tho.

- An underappreciated guy who played with a chip on his shoulder because he was overlooked by pretty much everyone

- A highly recruited and ranked guy who struggled in his Freshman season

- Another fairly highly recruited guy who redshirted

All 3 should be talented enough to be good RBs who you can feed the rock to 20-25 times a game. Whether they show that talent is a different matter, but the talent is there at this position so I won´t worry too much, especially as RB isn´t a position where you absolutely need to have a clear cut starter in order to be successful. I prefer it that way, but the pieces we do have in place at RB make me feel confident we should be solid there in 2009. I can´t say the same about QB and a solid clear cut starter at QB is way more important to an offense than a clear cut starter at RB.

you just dont get it do you? you have a qb with 2 years starting experience, 20+ games, that speaks loudly when what CU has behind him as far as experience goes... (or i guess you think CU has a McCoy, Bradford, Harrell, Tebow, Sanchez hiding as a backup last year). This does not concern me as much as CU's running game as Cody is not mobile enough to run... you see the 3 as a bright spot for CU, I dont. I see an injured player trying to make it back, a player that is overweight, often injured or nicked up that last season the coach questioned, and having a difficult time picking up the college game, and an unproven RB that, from what i have read here, has a serious case of the "dropping the rock" in practice.....

you just dont get it do you? you have a qb with 2 years starting experience, 20+ games, that speaks loudly when what CU has behind him as far as experience goes... (or i guess you think CU has a McCoy, Bradford, Harrell, Tebow, Sanchez hiding as a backup last year). This does not concern me as much as CU's running game as Cody is not mobile enough to run... you see the 3 as a bright spot for CU, I dont. I see an injured player trying to make it back, a player that is overweight, often injured or nicked up that last season the coach questioned, and having a difficult time picking up the college game, and an unproven RB that, from what i have read here, has a serious case of the "dropping the rock" in practice.....

Why so damn aggressive?

I prefer to look at it from a different angle and I understand and appreciate your point that there is uncertainty because all 3 have question marks, which they do, and because there is no clear cut starter right now. However, please allow me to somewhat disagree and state my point why I do so. Neither position is perfect and both positions do have question marks, but I believe we´re in better shape at RB than at QB and I believe there´s a good chance we´ll be solid at RB.

Last edited:
Why so damn aggressive?

I prefer to look at it from a different angle and I understand and appreciate your point that there is uncertainty because all 3 have question marks, which they do, and because there is no clear cut starter right now. However, please allow me to somewhat disagree and state my point why I do so. Neither position is perfect and both positions do have question marks, but I believe we´re in better shape at RB than at QB and I believe there´s a good chance we´ll be solid at RB.

aggressive.... not hardly, not at all.... read my earlier post about people bashing on Cody, thats aggressive....:cool:

here is something else if you havent thought of this yet...... CU's starting QB delivered (at times, not 100% of the time, and he has had lack of success too) and won some ball games the past 2 years. Looking at all 3 of the RB's, they either have limited or no playing experience the one year all 3 were (sorta) on the roster, and none have really come out and taken a game in their hands and delivered a win, in other words give me the ball, I'll win this game for us.... Cody has done that a time or two with his play and leadership....

Ok, I think we´re getting close to a point we can both agree on because I don´t even disagree with your previous post, don´t dislike Cody and disagree with Sacky´s point that we´re pretty much screwed should Cody start in 2009.

I like the ceiling for our RBs more than I like the ceiling for Cody. The floor for our RBs yet has to be established. Basically, we know where we´re at at QB with Cody while we yet have to find out about that with our RBs. We know what he can do and what he can´t do and while I point out the bright spots for our RBs you point out the question marks.

Ok, I think we´re getting close to a point we can both agree on because I don´t even disagree with your previous post, don´t dislike Cody and disagree with Sacky´s point that we´re pretty much screwed should Cody start in 2009.

I like the ceiling for our RBs more than I like the ceiling for Cody. The floor for our RBs yet has to be established. Basically, we know where we´re at at QB with Cody while we yet have to find out about that with our RBs. We know what he can do and what he can´t do and while I point out the bright spots for our RBs you point out the question marks.

cool.... and something else... it was questioned whether Cody progressed at QB this year, his second, over his 1st year. We all know about the injury bug that hit CU last season, but until now, when I go back and look at 2006 versus 2007, i really dont believe Cody had the players around him in 2007 as he did in 2006. I'm not so much talking talent and ability, but I think there were some key losses from seniors that provided leadership, positive attitude and other intangible assets on offense that were missing on offense this year...

Interesting discussion. Many are forgetting a few points expressed on this chat and on other chats: 1. The coaches and players (such as Ryan Walters) expressed TH's ability to play after summer workouts and serving as scout player for the first five games (players stated his ability through the media and interviews). He was asked to remove his red-shirt because of this ability. 2. During the games TH played, he was asked to tuck the ball and run immediately due to OL/ WR issues. 3. This season TH will be participating in his first Spring Ball and conditioning under Pitman. Many from Southern Cal know the ability of this kid and his savvy on the field, including his throwing ability!

Again, asking players on the team now about the QB situation, most are backing TH (especially the key players). Cody is an amazing leader and this might be the main decision about TH or Cody, TH's personality and leadership style is quite different than Cody's.

Interesting discussion. Many are forgetting a few points expressed on this chat and on other chats: 1. The coaches and players (such as Ryan Walters) expressed TH's ability to play after summer workouts and serving as scout player for the first five games (players stated his ability through the media and interviews). He was asked to remove his red-shirt because of this ability. 2. During the games TH played, he was asked to tuck the ball and run immediately due to OL/ WR issues. 3. This season TH will be participating in his first Spring Ball and conditioning under Pitman. Many from Southern Cal know the ability of this kid and his savvy on the field, including his throwing ability!

Again, asking players on the team now about the QB situation, most are backing TH (especially the key players). Cody is an amazing leader and this might be the main decision about TH or Cody, TH's personality and leadership style is quite different than Cody's.

Welcome.

Sources?

Stewart is the starter. No doubt. He's proven that he can come back from injuries.

Stewart is the starter if the line cannot open up a running lane again this year. If they can, I expect to see Scott, Polk, or Sumler start.

That and a broken fibula normally isn´t an injury that´s hard to come back from and normally doesn´t cause you problems for years to come. There are exceptions and when there are complications and the thing gets infected it can be really, really serious but from what I have heard Speedy hasn´t had any setbacks. When the bone is back in one piece, you should be good to go and as good as you were before, whereas a torn knee ligament can permanently cost you some speed and shiftiness. How this affects you psycholigically is a whole different matter tho.

Bienemy had the same injury in '89 and came back in '90 as the sole featured RB (in '89 we had Flannigan and EB) and won the NC. That's not to say Stewart will do the same, I only want highlight that we've had other players who have had this same injury and came back with great success.

Last edited:
I think you´re a little too harsh on Cody although I do not know what your expectations are for 2009. If you ecpect like 9+ wins, I agree .... Cody isn´t the guy who can get that done IMO. I am looking for 7-8 wins next season and while Cody certainly isn´t perfect, I think that should be possible with a little help and Cody at the helm. Behind a decent line and with some better receivers to throw to, Cody can be competent. Competent isn´t what we should be aiming for long term and I hope we have a new starter with a higher ceiling ready for 2010, but for 2009 I can live with Cody and won´t declare the end of the world should he be the starter.

I'm not going to declare the end of the world if Cody is the starter. But Hawk himself said that their expectation is 10 wins. I personally don't think Cody has 10 wins in him. I'm not being harsh on him, just realistic. He's a great kid, but he's got a lot of talent around him now, and I don't see him being able to fully utilize that talent. He won't be able to throw the long ball to Simas & Smith. He won't be able to run any kind of option. He's not a threat to run the ball. As was pointed out previously, he can't do the quick 3-step drops because of his size. Even though he might know the playbook, there's limitations to what plays he can execute. Hansen doesn't have those limitations. His only limitation is experience. Something he got last year.

I will not be satisfied with 7-8 wins next year. The schedule is too favorable to squander on an 8-win season.

Bienemy and the same injury in '89 and came back in '90 as the sole featured RB (in '89 we had Flannigan and EB) and won the NC. That not to say Stewart will do the same, I only want highlight that we've had other players who have had this same injury and came back with great success.

That's right. I had totally forgotten about that. Good memory.

Back